Where did your career ambition come from? Like the idea? Family tradition? Research? Watch

princessboo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Basically I have no idea what career I would like to pursue in the future so I'm just curious as to where you all got your inspiration!
Mav455
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by courtneyhalex)
Basically I have no idea what career I would like to pursue in the future so I'm just curious as to where you all got your inspiration!
I went into college with absolutely no idea what I wanted to do. I chose subjects based on how much they interested me. One of the subjects I chose was Economics. By the end of the year, I realised it was my favourite subject, had researched jobs related to it and am now following it for a career
suirrel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I thought about what I liked doing at school (art, science, maths) and thought about what I liked doing outside of school (working with animals, drawing) and thought about what kind of lifestyle I wanted to have later in life (have a career, have "enough" money, work with animals or have time to own animals).

My ideas were: Doctor, vet, illustrator, zoo keeper, maths teacher.

From thinking about what I'd realistically enjoy doing, I narrowed it down to: Doctor, vet, zoo keeper

Then I thought more about who I am as a person and what the jobs would entail - could I handle them? What were university admissions like for subjects I'd need to do?

I narrowed it down to: vet, zoo keeper, working with animal charities in the field. I LOVE animals and I love handling them - it's something I've done for a very long time and I can honestly say that animals are my passion. I enjoy studying science and the idea of fixing animals up medically and being responsible for their safety and happiness is something I aspire to do.

What subjects do you like at school?

What do you do outside of school?

What kind of lifestyle do you want in your job/career?

How much money do you want to earn? How much time do you want to spend working toward your career?
princessboo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by suirrel)
I thought about what I liked doing at school (art, science, maths) and thought about what I liked doing outside of school (working with animals, drawing) and thought about what kind of lifestyle I wanted to have later in life (have a career, have "enough" money, work with animals or have time to own animals).

My ideas were: Doctor, vet, illustrator, zoo keeper, maths teacher.

From thinking about what I'd realistically enjoy doing, I narrowed it down to: Doctor, vet, zoo keeper

Then I thought more about who I am as a person and what the jobs would entail - could I handle them? What were university admissions like for subjects I'd need to do?

I narrowed it down to: vet, zoo keeper, working with animal charities in the field. I LOVE animals and I love handling them - it's something I've done for a very long time and I can honestly say that animals are my passion. I enjoy studying science and the idea of fixing animals up medically and being responsible for their safety and happiness is something I aspire to do.

What subjects do you like at school?

What do you do outside of school?

What kind of lifestyle do you want in your job/career?

How much money do you want to earn? How much time do you want to spend working toward your career?
I currently study Health and Social Care but last year did Psychology, History, Forensic Science and English Language. I really enjoyed Psychology and History but didn't do too well in them at AS Level. Health and social care is very broad so I like specific units.

It feels like all I do is work outside of college. I work in retail and enjoy the busy environment and communication but don't want to work in retail forever.

I want a well paid job and prepared to go to university. I have always had an interest Primary Teaching but feel like something is holding me back. I started to look at Adult Nursing degrees but I don't know if its something I feel confident I could do.

I feel incredibly stuck
suirrel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I currently study Health and Social Care but last year did Psychology, History, Forensic Science and English Language. I really enjoyed Psychology and History but didn't do too well in them at AS Level. Health and social care is very broad so I like specific units.

It feels like all I do is work outside of college. I work in retail and enjoy the busy environment and communication but don't want to work in retail forever.

I want a well paid job and prepared to go to university. I have always had an interest Primary Teaching but feel like something is holding me back. I started to look at Adult Nursing degrees but I don't know if its something I feel confident I could do.

I feel incredibly stuck
Hmm I suppose it's all about taking the plunge! It's fine to be nervous before starting a new part of your life, but don't let it hold you back longer than necessary.

If you don't like a course then it's fine to stop doing it and change to something else!
Emily.97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They stem from what I'm passionate about, and where I think my skills lie.
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My career aspiration at the moment comes from the fact that science and maths are the subjects that I'm passionate about and this has fuelled my interest. I'm also lucky to have very inspirational teachers who have made suggestions to me that I wouldn't have considered otherwise and a supportive family. We'll see though I may end up doing something completely different
Bluebells60
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wa told by a lecturer that you should study what your passionate about and you will succeed better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.66%
No - but I will (35)
6.58%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (250)
46.99%

Watched Threads