The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MathsNerd1
I never have to do pure maths again! Thing is, I enjoyed the paper and answering the questions, but can't hack another year of sitting through the lectures it requires. Just one exam left to go now!

Now you can finally forget those 160 definitions! :biggrin:

Are you doing applied and stats next year? Or just applied?
Original post by rayquaza17
Now you can finally forget those 160 definitions! :biggrin:

Are you doing applied and stats next year? Or just applied?

Yeah, only 7 came up as well! And a mixture of applied, probability and coding. How about you? Hope your exams have went well :smile:
Yeah, only 7 came up as well! And a mixture of applied, probability and coding. How about you? Hope your exams have went well :smile:

I'm doing mostly applied, one pure module, and one maths education one that's all essay based. I also have to do a group project module -_-

They've gone really well so far, but I'm only half way through! Same to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing mostly applied, one pure module, and one maths education one that's all essay based. I also have to do a group project module -_-

They've gone really well so far, but I'm only half way through! Same to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh very nice! What are yours called? And best of luck for the rest of yours :smile: I've only got 1 left but having 5 in the space of 7 days wasn't pleasant!
Oh very nice! What are yours called? And best of luck for the rest of yours :smile: I've only got 1 left but having 5 in the space of 7 days wasn't pleasant!

Thanks, good luck with yours too! Mine are spaced out over 3 weeks so it's not so bad.

Hopefully I've attached a screenshot with the names on lol. What are yours called?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432761468.995542.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, good luck with yours too! Mine are spaced out over 3 weeks so it's not so bad.

Hopefully I've attached a screenshot with the names on lol. What are yours called?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432761468.995542.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not too bad being spaced out that much and some of those sound quite interesting, i think you're brave to be taking topology but that's not really my sort of thing.

Mine are:
Coding and Cryptography
Graph Theory
Differential Equations
Mathematical Medicine and Biology
Fluid Dynamics
Mathematical Finance
And my project which is called Distortion of audio signals

I'm quite excited for them all, not going to lie! :biggrin:
That's not too bad being spaced out that much and some of those sound quite interesting, i think you're brave to be taking topology but that's not really my sort of thing.

Mine are:
Coding and Cryptography
Graph Theory
Differential Equations
Fluid Dynamics
Mathematical Finance

I like the sound of that :colone:
Original post by lilGem
I like the sound of that :colone:

It's oing to be pretty cool, i had the option to do my project on modelling cell signalling in drug responses but didn't go with it, maybe for my dissertation I'll pick it
It's oing to be pretty cool, i had the option to do my project on modelling cell signalling in drug responses but didn't go with it, maybe for my dissertation I'll pick it

ooh that's my area- well 2 of my modules next year :biggrin:

Mine are:
Coding and Cryptography
Graph Theory
Differential Equations
Fluid Dynamics
Mathematical Finance

I think I love you young mathmo :love:
Original post by lilGem
ooh that's my area- well 2 of my modules next year :biggrin:

Very nice! Is there any maths involved? What other modules are you takkng next year?
Original post by Slowbro93
I think I love you young mathmo :love:

Not going to lie, the one I'm excited about the most is the coding and cryptography one, but with the rest I know I will do well because they're just computational, which is totally my strength, what modules did you take again?
Very nice! Is there any maths involved? What other modules are you takkng next year?

Not going to lie, the one I'm excited about the most is the coding and cryptography one, but with the rest I know I will do well because they're just computational, which is totally my strength, what modules did you take again?

In my final year I took:

Special relativity and electromagnetism
Space time geometry and General relativity
Quantum Theory
Complex Analysis
Fourier Analysis
Mathematical Biology
Topics in Mathematics (which consisted of Game Theory, Prime number distribution, Time Series and Markov Chains)
And Philosophy of physics

So had a massive focus on modelling in different settings, wanted to do numerial instead of topics though :frown:

I'm doing cell signalling, molecular enzymology in biology and medicine, cancer biology, infection and immunity and a research project of which I'll find out my superviser towards the end of summer and the actual project when I return for 3rd year.

There will be some maths involved- statistics, all the biochemistry calculations :colondollar:
In my final year I took:

Quantum Theory
Complex Analysis
Fourier Analysis
Mathematical Biology
Topics in Mathematics (which consisted of Game Theory, Prime number distribution, Time Series and Markov Chains)

So had a massive focus on modelling in different settings, wanted to do numerial instead of topics though :frown:

Very nice, they all sound pretty interesting, a few I've already done this year, mainly the fourier analysis and complex analysis, also part of your topics module as well
Original post by lilGem
I'm doing cell signalling, molecular enzymology in biology and medicine, cancer biology, infection and immunity and a research project of which I'll find out my superviser towards the end of summer and the actual project when I return for 3rd year.

There will be some maths involved- statistics, all the biochemistry calculations :colondollar:

Very nice, they all sound pretty cool! Neuroscience has always intrigued me
Very nice, they all sound pretty interesting, a few I've already done this year, mainly the fourier analysis and complex analysis, also part of your topics module as well

Very nice, they all sound pretty cool! Neuroscience has always intrigued me

Initially I loved neuroscience, now I think my interest is definitely more within drug interactions and cancer- which in time is what I'm hoping to do :yep:
Original post by lilGem
Initially I loved neuroscience, now I think my interest is definitely more within drug interactions and cancer- which in time is what I'm hoping to do :yep:

Very nice! Well i hope your results go well and best of luck with next year too :biggrin:
thank you! and to you :hugs:
Not prepared for this exam today, need all the luck I can get 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Psyc_Girl
Not prepared for this exam today, need all the luck I can get 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck!

I'll be in that position on Mon/tues... Just hoping I can scrape a pass and avoid resits which sounds like horrible exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine are:
Coding and Cryptography
Graph Theory
Differential Equations
Fluid Dynamics
Mathematical Finance

I don't really know what topology is tbh lol. We have to pick our modules from like a list of groups, and topology was just in the group I wanted to take. There was also a stats module in that group, but I swapped it out with the education one because I refuse to do anymore statistics ever again!

I don't know even know what area of maths my group project will be in, we had to order our preferences so I put applied, pure, then stats and I was told you definitely don't get your third choice. The project is a extension on some of the second-year modules, but I'll be gutted if I'm doing a pure one since I've only chosen to do one pure module next year!

I'm really excited for mine too haha. :ahee:

Quantum Theory
Complex Analysis
Fourier Analysis
Mathematical Biology

The bold ones sound really interesting! I've done complex and some Fourier analysis this year. I'm not sure about the topics one though, the stats module I was supposed to take was time series.

Quick Reply

Latest