The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

I don't want to jinx myself by saying how my test went! Fingers crossed though!

Original post by Psyc_Girl
Everyone thinks the test went so well but I made so many stupid mistakes

Don't worry. The point of these tests are to see where you're at and what you need to work on. :smile:

Original post by Antifazian
I hate giving presentations :cry2:

Same :frown: I have to do one this year to the whole class, but it's not until semester 2!
Original post by rayquaza17
:frown: :frown: at least you got the hardest one right and you know now what you need to improve on.
What area of maths was this?

Mines in 40 minutes :| statistics :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, got 2 questions right, the most abstract and then the simple ones wrong, but only because I forgot how to differentiate and do basic arithmetic. Oh well
Original post by rayquaza17
I don't want to jinx myself by saying how my test went! Fingers crossed though!

Don't worry. The point of these tests are to see where you're at and what you need to work on. :smile:

Same :frown: I have to do one this year to the whole class, but it's not until semester 2!

But it's worth 13.3% of the module grade 😭 meh 😢.
Forgot to get my test results back today. I don't even want to know them. The MCQ one, sure. But not the practical one... I'm too ashamed of that.

Got up at 5.30am this morning to do laundry haha! Worked out well. The lab today didn't go well at all. Did cell cultures today. My cells were so stubborn, almost none of them detached from the freaking container wall!! :colonhash: Oh well.

Gonna start on one of my PhD applications now. I just want to go to bed. Maybe I'll just do it -in- bed..
Original post by BeyondandAbove
Forgot to get my test results back today. I don't even want to know them. The MCQ one, sure. But not the practical one... I'm too ashamed of that.

Got up at 5.30am this morning to do laundry haha! Worked out well. The lab today didn't go well at all. Did cell cultures today. My cells were so stubborn, almost none of them detached from the freaking container wall!! :colonhash: Oh well.

Gonna start on one of my PhD applications now. I just want to go to bed. Maybe I'll just do it -in- bed..

Where you thinking of applying to? I'm tinkering with the idea of a PhD at King's :tongue:
Looking at internships and everywhere wants a 2:1. Why couldn't I just get that extra 1%. Cries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shorttstuff
Looking at internships and everywhere wants a 2:1. Why couldn't I just get that extra 1%. Cries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know someone who got an internship with a mid 2.2. in first year at HSBC for IB. It can be done :yep:
Original post by Slowbro93
Where you thinking of applying to? I'm tinkering with the idea of a PhD at King's :tongue:

The London Interdisciplinary Doctoral Biosciences Consortium at various universities! Don't think I'll get accepted, but who knows haha. Best to just try anyways. Oh, I'll see what King's has to offer...
Oh god I'm so stressed and last time I felt like this was this time last year and I managed to **** all that up completely - I had to work my sodding arse off in term 2 to make my grades up, and I just can't do that this time, next term I've got an additional module as well as the write up of my project.

I've so so much to do and I don't know where to start, and I've got an immunology exam two weeks today and it's all just impossible. I knew I shouldn't have taken a medical school module where the average biosciences mark is 51%. I feel so behind in everything and like I don't even know the basics, and this is what I felt like last year for animal ecophys, and I ended up with a 2.2 in that module.

Plus, pretty sure my supervisor dislikes me, I never have anything to say or to ask him, and when he asks me basic questions that I should know, I can never think of the answer on the spot, I've just lost my ability to explain anything recently and it's like my brain doesn't work fast enough anymore. I have so much project work to do, feel like I shouldn't have taken on such a big one, but I was still riding out my high of 76% in genomics and bioinformatics last year :frown: Pretty sure my supervisor thinks I'm an idiot, which bodes well for MSc or PhD applications :erm:

And tbh, if I'm feeling like this about third year, should I even be contemplating doing further ed.

Feel like I'm falling apart tbh, all I've ever been good is academia, it's who I am, but it turns out that actually maybe I'm not all that good at it after all.

also I seem to spend an inordinate amount of my time thinking about the boy, and I don't appreciate this, I wish he would **** off out of my mind. maybe I'll become celibate. maybe I can go back to being the heartless bitch from before who didn't give a **** about anyones feelings...

Wow this was an essay.

kill me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Serentonin
Oh god I'm so stressed and last time I felt like this was this time last year and I managed to **** all that up completely - I had to work my sodding arse off in term 2 to make my grades up, and I just can't do that this time, next term I've got an additional module as well as the write up of my project.

I've so so much to do and I don't know where to start, and I've got an immunology exam two weeks today and it's all just impossible. I knew I shouldn't have taken a medical school module where the average biosciences mark is 51%. I feel so behind in everything and like I don't even know the basics, and this is what I felt like last year for animal ecophys, and I ended up with a 2.2 in that module.

Plus, pretty sure my supervisor dislikes me, I never have anything to say or to ask him, and when he asks me basic questions that I should know, I can never think of the answer on the spot, I've just lost my ability to explain anything recently and it's like my brain doesn't work fast enough anymore. I have so much project work to do, feel like I shouldn't have taken on such a big one, but I was still riding out my high of 76% in genomics and bioinformatics last year :frown: Pretty sure my supervisor thinks I'm an idiot, which bodes well for MSc or PhD applications :erm:

And tbh, if I'm feeling like this about third year, should I even be contemplating doing further ed.

Feel like I'm falling apart tbh, all I've ever been good is academia, it's who I am, but it turns out that actually maybe I'm not all that good at it after all.

also I seem to spend an inordinate amount of my time thinking about the boy, and I don't appreciate this, I wish he would **** off out of my mind. maybe I'll become celibate. maybe I can go back to being the heartless bitch from before who didn't give a **** about anyones feelings...

Wow this was an essay.

kill me.

As someone who had hell with third year, I can tell you that it does get better. There's no point on dwelling with time lost, but instead work on how you can get back up to speed with everything. It can be done and I have faith in you :hugs: Also, is this the same guy that suggested you apply for his PhD? Because if so, he wouldn't have suggested that to you if he thought you were stupid (and he's probably trying to push you to your limit and means well for you :hugs:) Try and really collate your thoughts and it will be okay, I can promise :hugs:

Also, you're not a heartless bitch. I can't imagine you like that :hugs:

Inbox is free if you want to vent :hugs:

Wow this was an essay.

kill me.

I have similar feelings! Like the poster above said, we cant get any time back so its time to just concentrate now! Sucks when you're thinking about people though... I'm on a countdown to Christmas!
Original post by shorttstuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

My cousin got a 2:2 at university so he started doing admin work for a company and eventually he got hired internally to become a chartered accountant there even though they only take on people officially with a 2:1. They even paid for all his courses and training after. And his salary is pretty good considering he's still in his 20s. It can be done. You could try just applying anyway lol but maybe try looking at different routes into where you want to work.

Wow this was an essay.

kill me.

Nuh uh uh. Babe, you've got this.

Everything is still to play for, you can make it up and you can do ****ing amazing. Just be thankful you're getting into the right mindset now and not January when it might have been too late :hugs:. You are so ****ing smart! You can ace that exam, you've got 2 weeks, you can do it. Just make a plan, prioritise it and live in the library until you're sorted.

Andddd I doubt your supervisor hates you, how could anyone hate you? :awesome:. Srs though, I had a meeting with mine today, she always asks me if I have any questions and I have nothing to say :rofl:. I waffle so much, too! They understand it's quite different to what we're used to, they're not expecting us to be experts on it, so don't worry about it too much :suith:. My diss. is pretty weird so there's not really any material on what I'm doing, which makes it tricky, but at the end of the day, our supervisors agreed to our project, and that itself is awesome. Surely if it was 'too hard' or they didn't think we could do it, they wouldn't supervise it? At the end of the day, a bad diss. would probably reflect badly on them, so they're probably not going to supervise something they think won't be good. He's got faith in you and he's pushing you because he knows you have the ability to nail it.

Don't worry about applications yet, I should be applying now but I'm waiting until January after essays are in because I don't want to explode with stress :rofl:, but seriously, you should apply. And don't worry about the guy you're seeing, either. He sounds lovely and he'll just want you to do well, if you explain to him you need some time out to get this done, he'll give you that (and then you can make up for it later... :colone:).

PM is always open, but I get what you're going through (last week was meltdown central for me :rofl:) and you'll get through it. Keep your head up and you'll be fine :smile: xxx
I'm in suck a sticky dilemma right now that it's making if difficult for me to focus on studying. And I don't even know if I'm being unreasonable or my parents are being unreasonable.

Is anyone okay with a short PM conversation?

I was going to go to my uni tutor but I dont think she'll really be able to help, or care. It's kind of not really related to my course.
Preparing my PowerPoint for my presentation next week. Really nervous about talking in front of people :cry2:
Original post by Psyc_Girl
Preparing my PowerPoint for my presentation next week. Really nervous about talking in front of people :cry2:

Imagine them in their underwear?

But in all seriousness, good luck!
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I'm in suck a sticky dilemma right now that it's making if difficult for me to focus on studying. And I don't even know if I'm being unreasonable or my parents are being unreasonable.

I was going to go to my uni tutor but I dont think she'll really be able to help, or care. It's kind of not really related to my course.

PM's always open :smile: x
Totally tired and not in the mood to do ANY work tonight. Can I get someone to do all my work? :frown:
Imagine them in their underwear?

But in all seriousness, good luck!

Haha, thanks!

PM's always open (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending