The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by rayquaza17
So I emailed a lecturer asking about doing a summer project with them (my friend is doing one and I am incredibly jealous), but the lecturer hasn't replied back yet. I know it's only been a few hours, but I'm waiting!! I don't know what to do if he says no, is it polite to ask a different lecturer? Or will they feel like second choice (assuming the other lecturer might mention it sometime)? I'm sure I'm overthinking this... :colondollar:

I did a summer project a few years back and I must have emailed about 20 people asking untill I got a place. Just keep trying untill someone accepts you. I wouldnt mention you emailed someone else first if you are worried about them feeling like asecond choice but remember they get so many emails a day that they will probably not remember your name unless they decide to take you.

Good luck!
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
Hey hey! Finally another law student, they rarely come on the Uni Study Threads. You type up your notes? I type up my notes on my iPad in lectures, then hand write them and supplement them with my reading.
That day was very productive indeed, I'm trying to keep it up since its coming to the end of the semester.

What modules are you doing? Are you in 2nd year? Good luck with your essay by the way!!

Thanks for the rep, whoever repped me :smile:

OMG! I know I thought I was alone haha!

I actually don't take notes in lectures unless I really need to but I keep them in a separate folder just in case I wrote down something helpful. Mostly, I take notes from textbooks, cases and articles and I type them up.

Good luck! The first semester is always brutal.

I'm a third year so no compulsory core modules lol. I'm doing Medical, Family, Evidence and International Criminal. How about you? I guess you're doing equity and trusts this year right? Although I know some universities who make you take it during your first year which is nuts.
Original post by NonaxD
I did a summer project a few years back and I must have emailed about 20 people asking untill I got a place. Just keep trying untill someone accepts you. I wouldnt mention you emailed someone else first if you are worried about them feeling like asecond choice but remember they get so many emails a day that they will probably not remember your name unless they decide to take you.

Good luck!

Original post by lilGem
I emailed several before I heard back :smile: there's no harm in emailing more than one

Thank you both!

I just got an email now saying he has a few ideas of what I could do, but he's going to ask the school policy on them to see if second years are allowed to do one (but my second year friend is doing one so I hope he comes back and says yes!)

Fingers crossed he says yes!
Had my interview for Shanghai, will know by next week whether I'm on the scheme or not!!!
Completely wrecked my big toe (thankfully no breakage) however I'm now on a crutch and can't train for a while :dry:
Struggling to motivate myself lately, which is not good considering I have so many deadlines coming up :frown:

Edit: Just managed to complete another bit of work after posting that comment :grin::groovy:
(edited 9 years ago)
My throat is sandpaper and my voice is barely there :frown: I have ethics submission to do tonight.
I'm knackered O.O
essay submitted!

applicant offer holder day was very tiring- 8 signed up to come today, 5 turned up which meant lots of free food to take home!

next one is wednesday then the following saturday (day after bio ball)

mostly decided about third year modules too- just hoping cancer and cell signalling don't clash :frown:
Decided to hand in my two week notice at work this Saturday. Decided that I'd rather do better in my essays and have a social life again rather than earning a few extra pounds. I also had a really bad night in work last night (another circumstance where I didn't get my legally required break because I don't smoke, worked super hard in clean up to finish early then ending up doing a sort-of-new girl's job as she walked around hiding and talking to people, lol no m8). It's funny because my bf is also handing his in (he's been there over a year and they won't move him onto bar for some stupid reason), and one of my friends is too because she's getting annoyed at the same stuff I am. Too funny that they're gonna be losing us 3 plus another one of my friends who handed her notice in yesterday RIGHT before Christmas. The new staff are absolutely terrible at their jobs so they're screwed when they lose people who are making up the slack. One guy thinks he's a supervisor and tells you what to do despite not being allowed to bar back or do cloakroom because he messed it up (he also let the men's bathroom flood twice), the others can't mop/talk to people and don't work/hide during clean up so they don't help out with other people's tasks/take ages/talk so much they don't do a good job, etc etc...) lolz. Oh, and I don't wanna work Boxing Day and NYE. Naaaah m8.

Anyway, my essay titles were released this week so I need to crack on with picking mine and working on them. I have two 3300 essays to do for January 12th, as well as various dissertation drafts. Gonna be a busy Christmas.

Also been feeling so run down recently so being able to go to bed early every night will be wonderful. Oh, and I'll have my Saturday night's free again soon. First time in 5 months :suith:.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
OMG! I know I thought I was alone haha!

I actually don't take notes in lectures unless I really need to but I keep them in a separate folder just in case I wrote down something helpful. Mostly, I take notes from textbooks, cases and articles and I type them up.

Good luck! The first semester is always brutal.

I'm a third year so no compulsory core modules lol. I'm doing Medical, Family, Evidence and International Criminal. How about you? I guess you're doing equity and trusts this year right? Although I know some universities who make you take it during your first year which is nuts.

Oh wow you must be very intelligent! Thanks it really is, I've had to set aside doing the mooting championships this semester, I just couldn't give it 100%. Aren't you lucky to be a third year! I wish I was in your shoes. I literally cannot wait to graduate :smile:

Nope. I do Law and Criminology. On my course land and equity are done in 3rd year (thank god).

Lucky you. I've only got 2 law modules (compulsory) for the entire year. European Union Law and Criminal Law, which I'm really loving so far.

Have you decided on a career path now?

Good luck with your studies too by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Started my first shift today at Carphone Warehouse!! Woo.. my bank balance is looking very naked right now ha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wow you must be very intelligent! Thanks it really is, I've had to set aside doing the mooting championships this semester, I just couldn't give it 100%. Aren't you lucky to be a third year! I wish I was in your shoes. I literally cannot wait to graduate :smile:

Nope. I do Law and Criminology. On my course land and equity are done in 3rd year (thank god).

Lucky you. I've only got 2 law modules (compulsory) for the entire year. European Union Law and Criminal Law, which I'm really loving so far.

Have you decided on a career path now?

Good luck with your studies too by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really not intelligent. I sailed through my first and second year. I'm just having to really buckle down this year haha

Good luck with the mooting! I hated it and negotiations was worse.

Savour your time while you can! You don't want to graduate! Not when the legal market is so grim too :frown:

Criminal law is pretty cool but I swear EU was so dull. and the case names were so hard to spell right.

I know I don't want to go into law that's for sure. Still trying to figure out where I'm going. I'm too broke right now for further study. Have you decided? I know second year is when a lot of people have decided whether they're going down the barrister or solicitor path.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I'm really not intelligent. I sailed through my first and second year. I'm just having to really buckle down this year haha

Good luck with the mooting! I hated it and negotiations was worse.

Savour your time while you can! You don't want to graduate! Not when the legal market is so grim too :frown:

Criminal law is pretty cool but I swear EU was so dull. and the case names were so hard to spell right.

I know I don't want to go into law that's for sure. Still trying to figure out where I'm going. I'm too broke right now for further study. Have you decided? I know second year is when a lot of people have decided whether they're going down the barrister or solicitor path.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really can't wait. I just see university as a box ticking exercise. Just like a levels and gcses. It's something that's compulsory just to get to the next stage. You're absolutely right about the legal market being grim. If I get a training contract then I'm hoping to practice as a solicitor before moving to the US. Planning to move within the next 2-3 years, it's all dependent upon if I can get a legal job or not. If not, bye England.

Criminal law is interesting. I used to be set with corporate law as a career path.. until I started learning criminal law. I've found that criminal law is more interesting to me than sitting behind a desk and arguing with the opposition about the word 'presume' or 'immediately' in the corporate world.

I like the whole court room type of thing. I can't afford the bar nor do I see myself practising as a barrister before moving. It would just be a waste of funds.

Oh I see, lucky for you there's loads of different fields you can go into. Law opens up a variety of doors.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I really can't wait. I just see university as a box ticking exercise. Just like a levels and gcses. It's something that's compulsory just to get to the next stage. You're absolutely right about the legal market being grim. If I get a training contract then I'm hoping to practice as a solicitor before moving to the US. Planning to move within the next 2-3 years, it's all dependent upon if I can get a legal job or not. If not, bye England.

Criminal law is interesting. I used to be set with corporate law as a career path.. until I started learning criminal law. I've found that criminal law is more interesting to me than sitting behind a desk and arguing with the opposition about the word 'presume' or 'immediately' in the corporate world.

I like the whole court room type of thing. I can't afford the bar nor do I see myself practising as a barrister before moving. It would just be a waste of funds.

Oh I see, lucky for you there's loads of different fields you can go into. Law opens up a variety of doors.

You know you can sit the bar in New York with an LLB and I think you can also practice (I meant sit the bar) in one of the New England states, North Carolina I think and California and maybe another states with an LLM. It may be cheaper or easier.

OMG I know. I hated contract law and property was the same. Criminal law isn't where the big bucks are though so a lot of people I know are finally discovering their ruthless passion for commercial law now that we're so close to graduation lmao.

I actually thought about the bar but it looks so pretentious and I can't take myself that seriously. Honestly though, court looks boring.

Actually, law doesn't open up a lot of doors. I don't know where that comes from. It looks impressive on paper but really, I find there are many other degrees that may be better such as sciences, languages ...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rayquaza17
Thank you both!

I just got an email now saying he has a few ideas of what I could do, but he's going to ask the school policy on them to see if second years are allowed to do one (but my second year friend is doing one so I hope he comes back and says yes!)

Fingers crossed he says yes!

Would you mind telling me how you asked him? :smile: I want to do the same.. is a casual enquiry ok? Like hiii please let me work with you :wink: without the wink I suppose. Also is it funded?

Original post by snailsareslimy
x.

wooohoo you must be feeling good! Sounds like a good decision. I only do 6 hours a week but I'm considering doing the same just cause I could do with the extra time to do something USEFUL like actual proper work :lol: or apply for placements or go do some sport. Even in Christmas break I could do with the time for revision you know? Well... extra time off so that I don't have to revolve around work and revision.

Anyway, good on you! Hopefully I will follow suit :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
HEy everyone :h: How's everyone finding their terms so far?
Sooo, me and a couple housemates got absolutely ****ed up last night after going out and then playing an apprentice drinking game when we got back...ended up in a massive argument with another housemate (who, quite frankly is a dick, and has massive speshul snowflake syndrome) soooo my house is really awkward now.

And I woke up without a hangover, aha miracle.

Oh, and went to pick up some coursework after todays guest lecture, 74, with 19/20 in my presentation, yessssssss #nerd.
(edited 9 years ago)
Proof read my essay this morning, think it will get a 2:1 at best, which is okay I suppose. It's now on Turnitin and printed ready for physical submission tomorrow morning.
Got feedback for my presentation from a few weeks ago, got a 74 which I'm very pleased about. Only worth 15% but that's 15% of the module done.

Got half of the day left, I'd actually like to get on with my next deadline work, but I know I should do something on my dissertation which has been sorely neglected and today is the perfect time to do it. I'm so nervous about everything in general though that I am now overwhelmed and feel stuck :frown:
Original post by sliceofcake
Proof read my essay this morning, think it will get a 2:1 at best, which is okay I suppose. It's now on Turnitin and printed ready for physical submission tomorrow morning.
Got feedback for my presentation from a few weeks ago, got a 74 which I'm very pleased about. Only worth 15% but that's 15% of the module done.

Got half of the day left, I'd actually like to get on with my next deadline work, but I know I should do something on my dissertation which has been sorely neglected and today is the perfect time to do it. I'm so nervous about everything in general though that I am now overwhelmed and feel stuck :frown:

Don't be stuck! Being overwhelmed is a mentality, not reality! You can do it. don't analyse the problems, just form solutions. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending