The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Did a fair bit of uni work today! Shattered but I'm gonna try do more, watch The Apprentice then head to bed early. Gonna get up early again and go to the library.
Original post by jelly1000
Masters student.

ah that really sucks.

I hope everything else goes better!

Original post by snailsareslimy
Did a fair bit of uni work today! Shattered but I'm gonna try do more, watch The Apprentice then head to bed early. Gonna get up early again and go to the library.

Do you study better in the library?

I seriously couldn't do that. Like the library is fine in the evenings for me but from around 10am to 4pm it's way too loud.

I'm seriously annoyed at myself atm. I started off great today with a few hours of reading and making notes but my productivity's dropped off. I literally stop studying after 6 and I can't get my productivity up :angry:
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
ah that really sucks.

I hope everything else goes better!

Do you study better in the library?

I seriously couldn't do that. Like the library is fine in the evenings for me but from around 10am to 4pm it's way too loud.

I'm seriously annoyed at myself atm. I started off great today with a few hours of reading and making notes but my productivity's dropped off. I literally stop studying after 6 and I can't get my productivity up :angry:

thanks. one of my modules is going well at least
Literally so much work to do, need to finish all these assignments and revise for my January exams. Starting to stress out now :ahhhhh:
argh so fed up of my housemates!

got called into a kitchen for a 'house meeting' which was 'lets all gang up on LilGem'

they bought a tumble dryer without talking to me; they blame me for their washing up being left. it's their washing up they should do it!

so glad they're all going away this weekend! :mad:
Original post by lilGem
argh so fed up of my housemates!

got called into a kitchen for a 'house meeting' which was 'lets all gang up on LilGem'

they bought a tumble dryer without talking to me; they blame me for their washing up being left. it's their washing up they should do it!

so glad they're all going away this weekend! :mad:

They sound mental. :hugs: And that's just mean on them. Why do they blame you? It's not like it's your stuff.

Squeeze superglue into the locks of their bedroom doors. Well actually don't. I read a case about a man who did that and it was domestic violence apparently, along with other bat**** crazy behaviours.

Throw a huge party though when they're gone. And take lots of pics and print them off and tape them to their doors. Or maybe that's just too passive aggressive.
because I'm the scapegoat because I spend more time at uni than at the house...I still do my washing up and cooking and they just leave it for days on end!

I wish we had locks on our doors!

I'm gonna do the opposite and embrace how quiet it will be! I can actually catch up on sleep. I just hope they do their bloody washing up before they go for the weekend!

just argh! I don't need this :mad:

next year cannot come soon enough!
This is probably a village question but I'm a first year and just got my first essay back with pretty dire marks - any upper year veterans who had the same situation and managed an amazing comeback?! It's been suggested that I academically peaked at A Level XD aaaargh
Original post by melissamessy
This is probably a village question but I'm a first year and just got my first essay back with pretty dire marks - any upper year veterans who had the same situation and managed an amazing comeback?! It's been suggested that I academically peaked at A Level XD aaaargh

Sorry. My grades have nearly always been awful. I'm a chronic under-performer with a ****load of luck. I'm still baffled I got into uni with my awful grades and my inability to pass A Level exams.

Original post by lilGem
because I'm the scapegoat because I spend more time at uni than at the house...I still do my washing up and cooking and they just leave it for days on end!

I wish we had locks on our doors!

I'm gonna do the opposite and embrace how quiet it will be! I can actually catch up on sleep. I just hope they do their bloody washing up before they go for the weekend!

just argh! I don't need this :mad:

next year cannot come soon enough!

That's really not fair.

You could try just supergluing the doors shut lol!

Aren't you a second or third year? I remember you from the A Levels 2012 thread (i think)
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
That's really not fair.

You could try just supergluing the doors shut lol!

Aren't you a second or third year? I remember you from the A Levels 2012 thread (i think)

Second year :colondollar: but I'm a biologist in amongst art students at the house :lol:
Original post by lilGem
Second year :colondollar: but I'm a biologist in amongst art students at the house :lol:

I don't get why they think their washing is your job? EUGH, people.

It must be tough but at least you know that you aren't cray like they are. Focus on absolutely owning your degree and then you can be smug later when they're raging and jealous of you. But don't worry, as I like to say, you can't reason with stupid. :teehee:

Does your first year count towards your overall degree mark?

You need to go speak to the person who marked it and find out exactly where you went wrong. Did you look at the assessment criteria before writing it? Did you have a clear structure, follow the proper referencing style, have enough references from reliable sources etc? Did you have a clear, logical argument with evidence to back it up?

You will need to spend some time and effort finding out what makes a good essay this year, maybe ask your department for some examples from previous years, or ask classmates who did well to see their work. If you're really struggling, there should be books in your uni library on academic essay writing, and you can also read journal articles to get familiar with the style required.
Original post by snailsareslimy
I don't get why they think their washing is your job? EUGH, people.

It must be tough but at least you know that you aren't cray like they are. Focus on absolutely owning your degree and then you can be smug later when they're raging and jealous of you. But don't worry, as I like to say, you can't reason with stupid. :teehee:

because 'they're the majority' :mad:

still so annoyed :frown:
Original post by lilGem

aw that must suck. Art students never have to spend that much time in uni.

Although as a Law student, neither do I.
Turns out I've chosen the most complicated essay question for my next EU essay, and I've already gone and started the reading for it. Debating whether to change it.
Turns out I've chosen the most complicated essay question for my next EU essay, and I've already gone and started the reading for it. Debating whether to change it.

When is it due for?

What's the question?

I had an Eu law module that I hated with a passion. Got a 2:1 in the first half and a 3rd in the second half. And understood maybe 10% of it. That module made me anti-EU lol

In first year I got a few essays at a 2:2 and one module at a 2:2, and it took me a while to figure out how to write an academic essay. You will figure it out, it's just trial and error, really. Go talk to your tutors for advice on whatever essays you've got marked and take it from there. I'm now sitting on an overall average of about 68% so you can definitely turn it around :awesome:.

Just don't lose faith in yourself. You can do it. I ****ed up my A Level in Eng Lit (I got a B) and I'm beating people who got an A* in the subject, anything's possible when you put your mind to it :woo:
80% in my stats test that I thought I messed up. Pretty pleased with myself :biggrin:
If someone could slap some sense into me I'd really appreciate it tbh.

I've had 2 weeks to do a certain amount of my project work. I have done none. And I literally mean nothing, until about 2 hours ago I hadn't even turned my desktop on for 2 weeks. How I'm going to explain my complete lack of work to my supervisor tomorrow I have no idea.

I'm so stressed I feel like I'm actually falling apart. Technically I've finished for christmas, but term doesn't finish for another week, and I have so much project work to do and I just cannot motivate myself to do it. I can't motivate myself to do anything :frown:

I went to a talk from a recent STP MSc employee today, and its exactly what I want to do, but it's like 1/90 chance of getting a place which is ridiculous, and the way I'm going I'm not even going to get a reasonable 2.1, let alone the first that I should be getting. I really don't know what's wrong with me. I need a ****ing break and I just don't have time for one, yet I'm not actually even doing anything most of the time.

Plus I've got a ****ton of applications to do for various things and I'm not even certain what I should be doing now, argggggh.

Wow, all I ever do in this thread is rant these days. Feels good tho man.

x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending