The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BeyondandAbove
Kind of, but I'm also looking forward to it. The only thing I need to find is a job. In Canada. And emigrate there. Leave my life as I know it behind and start a new one on a different continent, knowing absolutely nobody. With saved up funds.
****, I hope this works out.

Yes, I'm scared.

Ah, but you know you want a job, and you have a pretty awesome plan to go to Canada, French Canada or English Canada? Out of interest :smile:

I don't know whether to study more, job hunt, go abroad, I have the mind that settles on nothing :frown:
Original post by redrose_ftw
Ah, but you know you want a job, and you have a pretty awesome plan to go to Canada, French Canada or English Canada? Out of interest :smile:

I don't know whether to study more, job hunt, go abroad, I have the mind that settles on nothing :frown:

English Canada! I've got my mind set on Vancouver/British Columbia in general haha.

To be honest, a few months ago I was deadset on doing a PhD. I'm doing my MSc right now, so this was the obvious next step for me. But as I was progressing through my MSc, I just grew more hesitant.. and stressed out. And I knew I just needed a break from education for a while. I still want a PhD, but I'm gonna do that later in my life. (: So.. don't worry if you don't already know what you want to do. It will come to you in time.
English Canada! I've got my mind set on Vancouver/British Columbia in general haha.

To be honest, a few months ago I was deadset on doing a PhD. I'm doing my MSc right now, so this was the obvious next step for me. But as I was progressing through my MSc, I just grew more hesitant.. and stressed out. And I knew I just needed a break from education for a while. I still want a PhD, but I'm gonna do that later in my life. (: So.. don't worry if you don't already know what you want to do. It will come to you in time.

A break is never a bad thing (hence why I'm doing it now! :tongue: )
Original post by Slowbro93
A break is never a bad thing (hence why I'm doing it now! :tongue: )

Hence why I'll be doing it too :tongue:
I'm actually excited about planning my move to Canada.. it'll be the single biggest thing I've ever done. :daydreaming:

How are your applications going?
I'm so bored with my course already, I'm not actually sure what I should do in this situation.
Original post by redrose_ftw
Dissertation...Why are you so much?!

Is anyone else scared of life after graduation? Please, i need reassurance that i'm not alone :colondollar:

Yes yes yes. I have no job or further study lined up lol!
Original post by MathsNerd1
I'm so bored with my course already, I'm not actually sure what I should do in this situation.

:frown:
Could you not do some modules next semester in a different department in something you're more interested in?
Original post by rayquaza17
:frown:
Could you not do some modules next semester in a different department in something you're more interested in?

I could, but it would seriously limit the modules available to me in 4th year, plus I'm not too sure what else I would enjoy to study :/
I could, but it would seriously limit the modules available to me in 4th year, plus I'm not too sure what else I would enjoy to study :/

Yeah I see what you mean about the 4th year problem. :/

It's not good studying something you don't enjoy, but you obviously seem to be doing pretty well on your degree. You could always trudge through the next 2.5 years - it might be really boring, but at least you'll come out with a good degree and be able to work anywhere. It just depends if there is something else you would prefer to study.

I'd probably suggest looking at the pre-requisites for the 4th/3rd year modules you're interested in and see if there are any modules next semester that you don't need.

Are you interested in working in finance after uni? What A levels did you do other than Maths? What about doing a careers development module sometime?
REVISION IS KILLING ME.

I hate my life.

I'm going back to uni on monday in the hope that my quiet quiet empty house will be a productive environment before all my loud and wonderful housemates return on friday/saturday. Also means I can go to a friends NYE house party.

And be a loner for a week #loser.
Yeah I see what you mean about the 4th year problem. :/

It's not good studying something you don't enjoy, but you obviously seem to be doing pretty well on your degree. You could always trudge through the next 2.5 years - it might be really boring, but at least you'll come out with a good degree and be able to work anywhere. It just depends if there is something else you would prefer to study.

I'd probably suggest looking at the pre-requisites for the 4th/3rd year modules you're interested in and see if there are any modules next semester that you don't need.

Are you interested in working in finance after uni? What A levels did you do other than Maths? What about doing a careers development module sometime?

Yeah, it's quite a tricky situation, maybe it's just because I find most of what I'm currently doing to be pretty easy so far? I know for a fact that quitting isn't an option for me, it'd mean I've wasted the last year and a half for nothing, I'm also not dropping down to a 3 year degree either.

I've already checked them all and I do need all the modules this year, so looks like I'll just have to power through all the exams.

Yeah, that's my desired end goal and I took maths, further maths and chemistry, but didn't enjoy chemistry all that much, so maths is what I'm left with. And I'm currently doing them as extras, we can't do them as part of our degree as it would reduce the validity of our degree.
Yeah, it's quite a tricky situation, maybe it's just because I find most of what I'm currently doing to be pretty easy so far? I know for a fact that quitting isn't an option for me, it'd mean I've wasted the last year and a half for nothing, I'm also not dropping down to a 3 year degree either.

I've already checked them all and I do need all the modules this year, so looks like I'll just have to power through all the exams.

Yeah, that's my desired end goal and I took maths, further maths and chemistry, but didn't enjoy chemistry all that much, so maths is what I'm left with. And I'm currently doing them as extras, we can't do them as part of our degree as it would reduce the validity of our degree.

I think every semester is meant to be harder than the last since you build upon stuff learned, so hopefully next semester will be a bit harder & interesting for you.

You sound really determined so tbh all I would suggest is carry on because you've only got another 2 and a half years left. You survived loads of years in school doing things you didn't like, so you can definitely make it through your degree! Before you know it, you'll be finished uni and in your dream job. :smile:

Ew Chemistry. :colondollar:
I think every semester is meant to be harder than the last since you build upon stuff learned, so hopefully next semester will be a bit harder & interesting for you.

You sound really determined so tbh all I would suggest is carry on because you've only got another 2 and a half years left. You survived loads of years in school doing things you didn't like, so you can definitely make it through your degree! Before you know it, you'll be finished uni and in your dream job. :smile:

Ew Chemistry. :colondollar:

I would normally agree with your first statement, however I've already looked at the content of my next two modules that I pick up next semester and I've already covered most, if not all the content during the summer before starting university, I was a very eager student and it seems to have backfired on me as I've lost all the enjoyment and challenge from the course, at least until next year.

Thanks, at least it now gives me time to pursue my other ventures and just do a bit of revision at the end to ensure I get the grades I need.

Vector Calculus will by far be my highest scoring module, I'm going for top 90s easily, there's just nothing difficult about it all :/

It wasn't too bad, just a lot of writing sometimes which I didn't like, so yeah, decided maths was for me instead :tongue:
I would normally agree with your first statement, however I've already looked at the content of my next two modules that I pick up next semester and I've already covered most, if not all the content during the summer before starting university, I was a very eager student and it seems to have backfired on me as I've lost all the enjoyment and challenge from the course, at least until next year.

Thanks, at least it now gives me time to pursue my other ventures and just do a bit of revision at the end to ensure I get the grades I need.

Vector Calculus will by far be my highest scoring module, I'm going for top 90s easily, there's just nothing difficult about it all :/

It wasn't too bad, just a lot of writing sometimes which I didn't like, so yeah, decided maths was for me instead :tongue:

Why was vector calculus a second year option for you? :erm:

Was it not for you? It's not hard enough to be a third year module, at least not the stuff I've been taught anyway
Was it not for you? It's not hard enough to be a third year module, at least not the stuff I've been taught anyway

Nope, in our first year we have Vector Calculus in our multivariable Calculus course. I thought that happened with everyone ...

That said, I only touched it again when I needed to do my summer project and when I did Electromagnetism :yep:

It's not too difficult imo, but silly mistakes cost me a 90 in that module (although I did get one of the highest marks in that module :tongue: )
Nope, in our first year we have Vector Calculus in our multivariable Calculus course. I thought that happened with everyone ...

That said, I only touched it again when I needed to do my summer project and when I did Electromagnetism :yep:

It's not too difficult imo, but silly mistakes cost me a 90 in that module (although I did get one of the highest marks in that module :tongue: )

Ah fair enough, we did multivariable calculus in first year but didn't include anything with vectors in it. Yeah, I'll be rather disappointed if I can't get a 90+ mark in it, especially with me having mastered 6 out of 7 chapters so far.

What do you pick up next semester?
You must have done a lot of work that summer!!

I just don't get chemistry. Physics though... <3

Second year for me as well.
(But tbh I think our modules are a bit easier/than the ones that you both do/did :redface:)
What do you pick up next semester?
You must have done a lot of work that summer!!

I just don't get chemistry. Physics though... <3

Differential Equation and Fourier Analysis and Complex Functions, it really didn't take that much work, university work just seems to come easier than STEP did for me, guess I'm lucky :yep:
Kind of, but I'm also looking forward to it. The only thing I need to find is a job. In Canada. And emigrate there. Leave my life as I know it behind and start a new one on a different continent, knowing absolutely nobody. With saved up funds.
****, I hope this works out.

Yes, I'm scared.

Haha this is my plan for after my master's is done too, hopefully get a job in Canada! Although, I have travelled a lot and lived abroad before so it's not so much scary as incredibly exciting to me. I can't see myself living in the UK for any stretch of time once this course is finished, it bores the hell out of me. D:

Need to do a lot more research into how the application and emigration process works, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending