The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

anyone got tips for not panicking before exams and being emotionally distant/numb towards it? I've had really bad anxiety towards it as it's a difficult exam :frown:
Original post by LifeIsGood
anyone got tips for not panicking before exams and being emotionally distant/numb towards it? I've had really bad anxiety towards it as it's a difficult exam :frown:

Take literally over 2000 tests, exams, etc., and it will naturally pass...
Joke aside (although the above is true in my case): try looking at it with a positive attitude. Don't think of exams as "they're out to get me" or something like that, but something more like "my chance to show them what I've got". Go in prepared. It may be difficult, but see it as a challenge. What is the exam about?

Ever since I changed my attitude towards exams, I haven't really been anxious about them anymore. Except for practical exams, because I've only ever had two so far. In the first one I panicked so hard, I had a 3 hour anxiety attack. Mind went blank. My grades showed it. So I decided for the next one.. okay, consider it as a challenge too. Go over the lab material and just devour the information, go through it in your mind. So I didn't really panic in the second one anymore, and I felt I had done a lot better. Still have to await my grades for that one, though.

But I think if one only focuses on "oh my god, I don't want to do this exam. This will be hard. I can't do it. Oh god no." and so on, one can easily fall into a downward spiral and it gets from there on. Just study for it the best you can, and you should be fine. (: Hope that helps. I don't really know how to give good advice on this..
Original post by BeyondandAbove
Take literally over 2000 tests, exams, etc., and it will naturally pass...
Joke aside (although the above is true in my case): try looking at it with a positive attitude. Don't think of exams as "they're out to get me" or something like that, but something more like "my chance to show them what I've got". Go in prepared. It may be difficult, but see it as a challenge. What is the exam about?

Ever since I changed my attitude towards exams, I haven't really been anxious about them anymore. Except for practical exams, because I've only ever had two so far. In the first one I panicked so hard, I had a 3 hour anxiety attack. Mind went blank. My grades showed it. So I decided for the next one.. okay, consider it as a challenge too. Go over the lab material and just devour the information, go through it in your mind. So I didn't really panic in the second one anymore, and I felt I had done a lot better. Still have to await my grades for that one, though.

But I think if one only focuses on "oh my god, I don't want to do this exam. This will be hard. I can't do it. Oh god no." and so on, one can easily fall into a downward spiral and it gets from there on. Just study for it the best you can, and you should be fine. (: Hope that helps. I don't really know how to give good advice on this..

3 hour anxiety attack!? I'm going to try to stay calm and focused but this paper is really difficult, it's cancer biology. I have prepared but never feels adequate really especially for third year.
Original post by LifeIsGood
3 hour anxiety attack!? I'm going to try to stay calm and focused but this paper is really difficult, it's cancer biology. I have prepared but never feels adequate really especially for third year.

Intermittently, to be fair! Yeah, I couldn't focus at all. Was horrible. :-/ There were a few moments where I had a clear mind, but in the end they haven't saved me haha.

Oh, cancer biology! I've done a wee bit on cancer biology (parts of my modules in 3rd and 4th year). Do you have problems with anything?
Intermittently, to be fair! Yeah, I couldn't focus at all. Was horrible. :-/ There were a few moments where I had a clear mind, but in the end they haven't saved me haha.

Oh, cancer biology! I've done a wee bit on cancer biology (parts of my modules in 3rd and 4th year). Do you have problems with anything?

It's only one section I struggle with which is partially genetics trying to go through it best I can though. Just really scared tbh.
Original post by LeaX
Definitely doing the wrong degree :frown:

I feel the same.
Original post by Slowbro93
Leeds have acknowledged my PhD application :zomg:

Oh wow! Congratulations :biggrin:
I think my brain is just not really working. No matter how hard I concentrate on my notes I still struggle to put a sentence together for my essay.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I feel the same.

Ahh :frown: are you in your first year?
Original post by LeaX
Ahh :frown: are you in your first year?

bahaha no final year.

Are you a first year? You still have the option to run!
bahaha no final year.

Are you a first year? You still have the option to run!

Ohh I see, good luck with your final year. Yep I am and I'm going to, emails have already been sent and I've been told I can swap next September but I want to get it confirmed officially that I have a place as well as find out whether I'm required to pass this year in order to bet let in next year before I get my hopes up lol.
Original post by LeaX
Ohh I see, good luck with your final year. Yep I am and I'm going to, emails have already been sent and I've been told I can swap next September but I want to get it confirmed officially that I have a place as well as find out whether I'm required to pass this year in order to bet let in next year before I get my hopes up lol.

Thanks.

Hope it goes well! What are you switching to?
Original post by LeaX

If you're planning on changing to biology you're making the right decision :tongue: I'm a biochemistry first year and I did a psychology module this semester and absolutely hated it too.

Quite excited to start back on Monday and get back into the swing of things :smile: my timetable is a lot nicer this semester too (no 5pm lectures!) so that makes things a bit easier to manage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Vitamin D
If you're planning on changing to biology you're making the right decision :tongue: I'm a biochemistry first year and I did a psychology module this semester and absolutely hated it too.

Quite excited to start back on Monday and get back into the swing of things :smile: my timetable is a lot nicer this semester too (no 5pm lectures!) so that makes things a bit easier to manage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

slightly envious of this I have 3 5pm/9am...second year biologist :redface:
xxx

Just to let you know: possible bus strike next Tuesday. :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm excited too to get back into the swing of things :h: I like having a routine.

Original post by lilGem
slightly envious of this I have 3 5pm/9am...second year biologist :redface:

Be happy you don't have 9am-5pm Mon to Fri :colonhash:
But I do enjoy it! Clinical Bacteriology now :sogood:

I'm excited too to get back into the swing of things :h: I like having a routine.

I loooved biochem last semester, cannot wait to get onto cell and micro...not so sure how i feel about molecular :redface:

Oh FFS :colonhash: What's it with them and striking all the time? :colonhash: and I have a theory test that day :colonhash:
Original post by lilGem
I loooved biochem last semester, cannot wait to get onto cell and micro...not so sure how i feel about molecular :redface:

I'm gonna do lots of molecular for the next 3 months.. so maybe I can help you if you need some! Definitely with micro I can (:

Oh FFS :colonhash: What's it with them and striking all the time? :colonhash: and I have a theory test that day :colonhash:

No idea, wait.. let me give you the link to it: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/campaign/bus-strike
Thanks.

Hope it goes well! What are you switching to?

Thank you :smile: and Biology!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the reassurance - yep I'm definitely more of a Science person, it's just a shame it took £9k to clarify it lol. I've met others doing Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, etc and they all agree with you that Psychology wasn't their cup of tea. Good luck for the rest of your degree. :smile:
I'm gonna do lots of molecular for the next 3 months.. so maybe I can help you if you need some! Definitely with micro I can (:

No idea, wait.. let me give you the link to it: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/campaign/bus-strike

awesome :smile: thank you v. much for the offer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending