can someone pls explain what these symbols stand for Watch

pappu
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
in the work done equation i understand up to fxab and then im completely lost if someone could explain it out it would be greatly appreciated

http://gyazo.com/da63568a72336831fe6d14304c11331b
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by pappu)
in the work done equation i understand up to fxab and then im completely lost if someone could explain it out it would be greatly appreciated
you really need to post the question ?
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It says above that Work Done = Force x Distance, where distance is from A to B

Pressure (p) = Force (F) / cross sectional area (A), therefore F=pA

I'm not too sure what's happening with the pA(V/A) bit, but if you've been given the mass flow rate 'm' then you know that m=ρAV, so rearranging gives V=m/(ρA)

The next part shows that Work done = pA(m/ρA) but then the A that I highlighted previously seems redundant? Somebody let me know if I missed something there.

But now the cross sectional areas can cancel out to give Work Done = pm/ρ

EDIT: Actually I'm still wondering how they got Velocity/Cross sectional area from Distance :/

EDIT 2: If 'm' is actually for Mass let me know that as well, although it wouldn't really make sense for it not to
Doctor_Einstein
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by pappu)

http://gyazo.com/da63568a72336831fe6d14304c11331b
1. W = F.AB (you understand this bit so far, it is just work = force.displacement)

Now, given that Pressure = Force/Area, then F = pA. Therefore,

2. W = pA.(AB)

Now the distance (AB) is given by (volume of AB)/(cross-sectional area of AB). That is (AB) = V/A. [Just think area*distance = volume and re-arrange]. Therefore,

3. W = pAV/A (obviously the A's will cancel, which they will do later)

Now density = mass/volume, or we can say volume = m/density. We will represent density by the letter (rho), which looks like a p. Therefore, V = m/(rho). Subbing into 3 we arrive at:

4. W = pAm/(A(rho))

We will now cancel out the A's to obtain:

5. W = pm/(rho)

This has brought us to the end of their first line. Check you understand it so far.

Next they define "specific work" to be work/mass (like specific heat capacity is heat capacity/mass).

Specific work = W/m = pm/(m(rho)) = p/(rho)
Doctor_Einstein
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)

I'm not too sure what's happening with the pA(V/A) bit, but if you've been given the mass flow rate 'm' then you know that m=ρAV, so rearranging gives V=m/(ρA)

The next part shows that Work done = pA(m/ρA) but then the A that I highlighted previously seems redundant? Somebody let me know if I missed something there.

EDIT: Actually I'm still wondering how they got Velocity/Cross sectional area from Distance :/

EDIT 2: If 'm' is actually for Mass let me know that as well, although it wouldn't really make sense for it not to
Their V actually represents volume. See my answer above for full working.
pappu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doctor_Einstein)
1. W = F.AB (you understand this bit so far, it is just work = force.displacement)

Now, given that Pressure = Force/Area, then F = pA. Therefore,

2. W = pA.(AB)

Now the distance (AB) is given by (volume of AB)/(cross-sectional area of AB). That is (AB) = V/A. [Just think area*distance = volume and re-arrange]. Therefore,

3. W = pAV/A (obviously the A's will cancel, which they will do later)

Now density = mass/volume, or we can say volume = m/density. We will represent density by the letter (rho), which looks like a p. Therefore, V = m/(rho). Subbing into 3 we arrive at:

4. W = pAm/(A(rho))

We will now cancel out the A's to obtain:

5. W = pm/(rho)

This has brought us to the end of their first line. Check you understand it so far.

Next they define "specific work" to be work/mass (like specific heat capacity is heat capacity/mass).

Specific work = W/m = pm/(m(rho)) = p/(rho)
thanks brother, appreciate your help
pappu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)

thanks for ur help too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (26)
50%
No - but I will (1)
1.92%
No - I don't want to (1)
1.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (24)
46.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise