Enthalpy change data Watch

madele
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm stuck!

I've just started an Access course in Science (so I can study a bioscience degree). I haven't done Chemistry since GCSE 12 years ago and that was obviously different to what I'm doing now (Level 3 work).

I'm doing an assignment on energetics and I need to find out and give the standard enthalpy changes of the combustion of propanol and the neutralisation of sodium chloride and hydrochloric acid. I've tried Googling but I don't know what sources (from the VERY few I could find - nothing that seems decent) would be considered reputable. I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
charco
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by madele)
I'm stuck!

I've just started an Access course in Science (so I can study a bioscience degree). I haven't done Chemistry since GCSE 12 years ago and that was obviously different to what I'm doing now (Level 3 work).

I'm doing an assignment on energetics and I need to find out and give the standard enthalpy changes of the combustion of propanol and the neutralisation of sodium chloride and hydrochloric acid. I've tried Googling but I don't know what sources (from the VERY few I could find - nothing that seems decent) would be considered reputable. I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
For thermodynamic data try the NIST chemistry webbook site.

If you are having trouble navigating it just ask.

Don't forget that propanol is a liquid, so you should look at the condensed phase data ...
madele
Rep:
?
Thanks. I found that website before and you are right to think I wouldn't understand how to use it!
charco
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks. I found that website before and you are right to think I wouldn't understand how to use it!
click the link...

go to 'search options'

select condensed phase data

put 1-propanol into the search field press enter

scroll down to read all energy data ...
madele
Rep:
?
OK got it, thank you. Where can I look to find the standard enthalpy change for the neutralisation reaction between sodium chloride and hydrochloric acid?
madele
Rep:
?
Also I'm wondering if it seems reasonable that my own results for the combustion of propanol would be about 60% lower than the standard figure. I knew it'd be less but that much less?! I feel I must be doing something wrong.

:confused:
charco
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OK got it, thank you. Where can I look to find the standard enthalpy change for the neutralisation reaction between sodium chloride and hydrochloric acid?
Sodium chloride does not react with hydrochloric acid ...

... you mean sodium hydroxide.

The enthalpy of neutralisation data is freely available - just google it...
charco
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also I'm wondering if it seems reasonable that my own results for the combustion of propanol would be about 60% lower than the standard figure. I knew it'd be less but that much less?! I feel I must be doing something wrong.

:confused:
It would be expected to be considerably lower, but in reality it is very difficult to comment on your data without seeing both it and the calculations employed ...
madele
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
Sodium chloride does not react with hydrochloric acid ...

... you mean sodium hydroxide.

The enthalpy of neutralisation data is freely available - just google it...
Doh I did mean hydroxide. I hadn't been looking for sodium chloride!

The reason I asked this question though is because I don't know what sources are considered reliable, not because I can't find a figure.
charco
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Doh I did mean hydroxide. I hadn't been looking for sodium chloride!

The reason I asked this question though is because I don't know what sources are considered reliable, not because I can't find a figure.
Most sources will be reliable as the data is very well known ...
madele
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
It would be expected to be considerably lower, but in reality it is very difficult to comment on your data without seeing both it and the calculations employed ...
OK this is the data I recorded:

0.99g of propanol was burnt raising the temperature of 100ml water by 33 degrees C.

So of course I did 4.18 x 0.1 x 33 = 13.794

and to get 1 mole 60 x 13.794 / 0.99.

So the enthalpy change for the combustion of one mole of propanol is -836kJ according to me. According to proper sources it is about -2021!
charco
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OK this is the data I recorded:

0.99g of propanol was burnt raising the temperature of 100ml water by 33 degrees C.

So of course I did 4.18 x 0.1 x 33 = 13.794

and to get 1 mole 60 x 13.794 / 0.99.

So the enthalpy change for the combustion of one mole of propanol is -836kJ according to me. According to proper sources it is about -2021!
1. You have lots of heat losses to the environment
2. You have also heated up the calorimeter and thermometer
3. Some energy is used to evaporate the water
madele
Rep:
?
OK, as long as I haven't done my calculations wrong I am happy Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.83%
No - but I will (115)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (699)
47.39%

Watched Threads