Where on my CV should I put about volunteering? Watch

janninev866
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am planning on building up a portfolio of voluntary work with different services. And then paid work. This is so I have experience working with different types of people before I apply for a Master's Degree in Social Work.

Soon I will be working in Dementia Cafes. Then working with people with Autism after Christmas. I also volunteered in a Nursing home, but it was so difficult for me to get there and the buses weren't great at 7am.

I am also a 'Dementia friend'. I have also started learning British Sign Language. I'm also doing relevant courses on Alison.com. I know they're not really worth anything, but I was hoping it would show that at least I'm trying to learn more about the health & social care sector.

Anyway, where would you suggest I put about volunteering on my CV? I put the bit about the Nursing home in the personal statement bit at the beginning, to show that I am comfortable carrying out personal care. But if I put everything there, it would be too long. The CV will generally be for when I'm applying for paid work.

Perhaps I could put it as part of my bullet points underneath?

Or would it go under interests & hobbies?

Thanks for any advice
Emma:-)
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by janninev866)
I am planning on building up a portfolio of voluntary work with different services. And then paid work. This is so I have experience working with different types of people before I apply for a Master's Degree in Social Work.

Soon I will be working in Dementia Cafes. Then working with people with Autism after Christmas. I also volunteered in a Nursing home, but it was so difficult for me to get there and the buses weren't great at 7am.

I am also a 'Dementia friend'. I have also started learning British Sign Language. I'm also doing relevant courses on Alison.com. I know they're not really worth anything, but I was hoping it would show that at least I'm trying to learn more about the health & social care sector.

Anyway, where would you suggest I put about volunteering on my CV? I put the bit about the Nursing home in the personal statement bit at the beginning, to show that I am comfortable carrying out personal care. But if I put everything there, it would be too long. The CV will generally be for when I'm applying for paid work.

Perhaps I could put it as part of my bullet points underneath?

Or would it go under interests & hobbies?

Thanks for any advice
I have got a specific section on my cv for volunteering, just like the bit for work, education etc.
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I put it under "Work Experience" along with my previous employment but I mention in the job title and/or description it was a volunteering role.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (273)
38.18%
No - but I will (51)
7.13%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (340)
47.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed