what do a.c. and d.c. mean?

Watch
kitale.k
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am very confused, my teacher has never taught us this and it has come up in a past paper, what do they mean? I know they stand for alternating current and direct current but I don't know how I can tell whether a circuit is a.c. or d.c.???? Thanks:o:

WeedCanKill
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Alternating Current and Direct Current
ryan9900
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...cityrev1.shtml
kitale.k
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by WeedCanKill)
Alternating Current and Direct Current
Ik but how can I tell which a circuit has?
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kitale.k)
Ik but how can I tell which a circuit has?
Ask it nicely?
WeedCanKill
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I always got taught that AC has the live, neutral and earth, but DC just has positive and negative. Although it's been YEARS since I did electronics so if anyone can clarify please do.
mphysical
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
AC has a frequency. The frequency is the number of cycles per second.
A cycle is the voltage going from positive v through 0v to negative v and back to positive.
A graph of this would produce a sine wave.
UK domestic electricity for example has a frequency of 50Hz - 50 cycles per second.

DC has no frequency. It stays at one voltage. A graph would be a straight line.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (65)
12.45%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.72%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (135)
25.86%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
8.24%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (252)
48.28%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.45%

Watched Threads