The Student Room Group

Why is it that only awful universities get advertised on this website?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dez
On the flip side, if a prospective student ends up only seeing a narrow selection of the available unis, they're going to get a skewed perspective on what choices they have. In particular, if advertising was slanted towards unis with high entry requirements, it's going to put off students who aren't getting those grades, demotivating them and causing them to give up on what they want to achieve.

I would +Rep you if I could. But I am out for the day.
Original post by Lee R
You also have to realise, and I'm sure you do, that students who want to achieve high and go to one of the better, more renowed universities, do just that - they work hard and they achieve it. Without the help of TSR.

TSR sees a lot of students with various mindsets. It would help if better universities were to be seen advertising on here. It's a rarity.
Original post by Dez
On the flip side, if a prospective student ends up only seeing a narrow selection of the available unis, they're going to get a skewed perspective on what choices they have. In particular, if advertising was slanted towards unis with high entry requirements, it's going to put off students who aren't getting those grades, demotivating them and causing them to give up on what they want to achieve.

Okay, fair point.

But it would help if the balance of the advertisements was to be 50/50. Instead we only awful institutions advertised.

Unfortunately that comes down to the money.
Original post by President Putin
All I see advertised on TSR are pretty weak standing institutions, such as Southampton Solent or the University of Bedfordshire.

My question is, why would the management of this portal allow such advertisements? Why not advertise the top 10/20 institutions in the country? Why not motivate the users on here to aspire to greater things? Because a better university is a greater thing.

This is why I have returned to using AdBlock. I don't want my eyes to bleed.

Do you honestly think that the best unis need advertising?
The best universities don't need to advertise on TSR.
Unfortunately that comes down to the money.

In the end, it comes down to how well you do at school. TSR can't make a student do well, only he or she can do that.
Original post by natninja
Do you honestly think that the best unis need advertising?

I think the students on this website need them advertised. Especially the younger ones. The advertisements should be put forward voluntarily by the TSR management.

Original post by Lee R
In the end, it comes down to how well you do at school. TSR can't make a student do well, only he or she can do that.

Thanks for that, Sherlock. You've yet to grasp my main suggestion and argument here - it's that advertising counts and matters, too.
I think the students on this website need them advertised. Especially the younger ones. The advertisements should be put forward voluntarily by the TSR management.

Thanks for that, Sherlock. You've yet to grasp my main suggestion and argument here - it's that advertising counts and matters, too.

I'm afraid your main point is pretty redundant, in my opinion. As it's been said before, the top universities don't need to be advertised. They're well known. In addition, the students that look to apply to the top universities have already applied themself at school and are well awear of the standard needed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
I've never seen an advert for Oxford/Cambridge.
The top universities are advertised by the press writing and reporting their achievements so for them it would be a waste of resources to advertise here and TSR aren't going to give away free redundant advertising just to make things equal for your communist society Mr. Putypoof
Original post by Lee R
I'm afraid your main point is pretty redundant, in my opinion. As it's been said before, the top universities don't need to be advertised. They're well known.

My point is not redundant. Hopefully the TSR management is enlightened by my suggestion and we'll only be seeing Russell Group universities advertised on this portal.
Original post by Arkasia
Good universities do not need to advertise. Point in case:

How many people have heard of Southampton University, and how many have heard of Southampton Solent?

First time hearing about Solent.
My point is not redundant. Hopefully the TSR management is enlightened by my suggestion and we'll only be seeing Russell Group universities advertised on this portal.

It won't happen for the reasons myself and others have pointed out to you.
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
First time hearing about Solent.

Exactly. The small universities need advertising.
Original post by Arkasia
Exactly. The small universities need advertising.

They do, indeed. Point made.
Original post by Penguinfarts
The top universities are advertised by the press writing and reporting their achievements so for them it would be a waste of resources to advertise here and TSR aren't going to give away free redundant advertising just to make things equal for your communist society Mr. Putypoof

It's a shame that everything in this society is about money.

Original post by Lee R
It won't happen for the reasons myself and others have pointed out to you.

I think your reasoning is flawed. Education is an important matter that shouldn't be taken this lightly.
It's a shame that everything in this society is about money.

I think your reasoning is flawed. Education is an important matter that shouldn't be taken this lightly.

Ok, enough trolling. :wink:
Original post by Lee R
Ok, enough trolling. :wink:

Just because I have a strong opinion on something means that I'm trolling? Okay.

Surely your argument is mitigated by the fact that the more intelligent the person, the less they are taken in by adverts?
Anybody who allows an ad on here to skew them can't have that much behind them in the first place and would be unlikely to get into those top tier unis whether they advertised or not.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
Surely your argument is mitigated by the fact that the more intelligent the person, the less they are taken in by adverts?

That doesn't mitigate my argument at all. I'm trying to stand up for those who are not as ambitious and motivated as they could be. The universities advertised on here usually do not do much in terms of helping to solve those issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending