anaesthetics rotation Watch

khaledur
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi

I'm new here, I am currently doing three weeks of anaesthetics rotation at uni.

I wanted to know, can someone give me advise on how to make the most of it and what I should try to learn and do to prepare me for eventually working as a doctor.

Thanks

PS I go to KCL, so if you have any exam tips relating to anaesthetics please do comment.
plrodham1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by khaledur)
Hi

I wanted to know, can someone give me advise on how to make the most of it and what I should try to learn and do to prepare me for eventually working as a doctor.

Thanks

PS I go to KCL, so if you have any exam tips relating to anaesthetics please do comment.
Anaesthetics are normally great at teaching so get involved with everything you can! Make sure to put yourself forward to do procedures (offer to cannulate, take bloods etc, ask to do some airway management - bag and mask, LMA's, ET's). You tend to have quite a bit of time once the procedure has began and the anaesthatist has everything settled so ask about the monitoring etc and take the opportunity to talk about the physiology as there aren't many better at this than anaesthetics.
DexterM
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This blog post is helpful http://traumagasdoc.wordpress.com/20...dical-student/
khaledur
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you @DexterM and @plrodham1
digitalis
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi

Thanks

You will get a lot of one-on-one time with an anaesthetist. You should be getting practice doing airway management in the anaesthetised patient and become comfortable putting LMAs down (good skills for cardiac arrests). Good time to practice cannulas too. Expect quiet time in theatre for the most part-the environment lends itself to close questioning by your supervising anaesthetist.

Try and see some epidurals/spinals as well.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
All the above is good.

From my experience with KCL students, two top tips: -

1) Most anaesthetists will be in hospital by 8am at the latest. So should you be. Try to find your consultant doing their pre-op assessments if you can, and join in a couple. If you can't do this, at the very least you should be in the anaesthetic room at 8.30, when ideally the first patient should be there - doesn't always happen but it's the target, and it can't hurt if you arrive before the patient. If you rock up at 9am, especially if you're clutching a coffee cup, the first patient will be on the table so you'll have missed all the cannula/airway opportunities for that case, and you'll look lazy.

2) Although it is an excellent opportunity for cannula and LMA practice, and I know you have to get a certain number signed off, don't just use it for that. Don't bugger off after each induction to try and find another theatre to do another cannula - stick with one person all the time unless they direct you elsewhere. There is much more to anaesthesia than just sticking in a cannula and an i-gel, so try to learn about it. You will have a lot of time in theatre to talk to your anaesthetist.

It's worth learning a bit about spinals and epidurals, the differences between the two, and what they are used for. That sort of thing has come up in one of your OSCE scenarios in the past.
carcinoma
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi

Thanks

As everyone has said above.

You may also find this helpful - https://www.dropbox.com/s/crtdej55zr...00811.doc?dl=0

The first bit isn't relevant to you as it's about one of the south west hospitals, but from "What is anaesthesia?" onwards it's all good stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (25)
49.02%
No - but I will (1)
1.96%
No - I don't want to (1)
1.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (24)
47.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise