The Student Room Group

ADG and income/allowances

my bf and I live 300 miles apart and have a young daughter - we are looking into him giving up work next year and moving in with me to care for our Daughter full time, his income will therefore be nil and I will be supporting the family on my student finance ( I don't work) what would our income look like and would we be assessed on his income as Nil and not as working previous tax year as your web site appears to suggest. i will therefore not claim childcare grant.

we would like to work out the sums to make sure we are not going to be worst off with the finance I get now.

If you could give me a breakdown I would be most grateful.

Debs
Hi there.

When making an assessment we always check the household income from two years prior to the course start date. This year is used as everyone tax affairs are up to date and they will have a clear picture of their earnings. We would require these figures to be resolved first off and then only use them as a point of reference.

For sponsors who's income has changed we have the option to complete a Current Year Income form if there has been a 15% drop in income as a whole. This form allows sponsors to give us their expected income in the current year of applying which we can then base the application on instead.

The income we look at is anything which is taxable, whether this is salary or benefits so if there is none he would simply indicate '£0'

You would be entitled to a maintenance loan of around £3,500, Maintenance grants of £3,387, Parent's Learning Allowance which is given for purchase of materials for children of £1,508 and potentially an adults dependents grant if your partner is financially reliant on you of £2,500 and of course, your fees would be paid up to £9,000 also.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest