Applying to Birmingham Computer Science with AAB (AAA required) Watch

ScruffyQuaver
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I unfortunately had a day of horror on my Computing AS exam getting a overall C (2 off a B). Without going into detail I got an A on the theory but am retaking the programming which was the C. I know I can get an A overall but my teachers have predicted me a fair B.

So I have the predicted grades of AAB - not bad I know but I really love Birmingham and am applying this week for unis. They ask for AAA, do you think they will consider me. It is my current firm choice, shall I just not include it at all to save options?

Thanks for the help!
lollipopsftw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ScruffyQuaver)
I unfortunately had a day of horror on my Computing AS exam getting a overall C (2 off a B). Without going into detail I got an A on the theory but am retaking the programming which was the C. I know I can get an A overall but my teachers have predicted me a fair B.

So I have the predicted grades of AAB - not bad I know but I really love Birmingham and am applying this week for unis. They ask for AAA, do you think they will consider me. It is my current firm choice, shall I just not include it at all to save options?

Thanks for the help!
If you think you'll get an A then go for it! They can still make you an AAA offer no doubt
I wanna do computer science and my predicted are ABB and Nottingham gave me an offer of AAB.

There's no harm in applying, if you have a good personal statement and reference then they'll make you an offer for sure!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ScruffyQuaver
Rep:
?
(Original post by lollipopsftw)
If you think you'll get an A then go for it! They can still make you an AAA offer no doubt
I wanna do computer science and my predicted are ABB and Nottingham gave me an offer of AAB.

There's no harm in applying, if you have a good personal statement and reference then they'll make you an offer for sure!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So they would basically give me a conditional to get AAA. How would they know I really want to get another A surely thy may look at predicted and be like "oh he is only predicted AAB, he won't get another A"

Thanks for the help

I'm also applying for Nottingham but I unfortunately missed the open day! How is it? Are the facilities good? And disadvantages?
lollipopsftw
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So they would basically give me a conditional to get AAA. How would they know I really want to get another A surely thy may look at predicted and be like "oh he is only predicted AAB, he won't get another A"

Thanks for the help

I'm also applying for Nottingham but I unfortunately missed the open day! How is it? Are the facilities good? And disadvantages?
Nottingham is alright I guess, but regardless of your predicted grades it doesn't make it impossible for you to get an A! If they want you then they'll say okay get an A instead of a B. Trust me predicted grades are important but don't limit you especially by one grade! I would go for it if I were you

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1530463
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you doing A Level Maths. If not, you need to do it; Computer has a lot of mathematics in it. Also, many universities require A Level Maths to do Computer Science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ScruffyQuaver
Rep:
?
(Original post by asmuse123)
Are you doing A Level Maths. If not, you need to do it; Computer has a lot of mathematics in it. Also, many universities require A Level Maths to do Computer Science.Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice, I do NOT need to do it though. I do computing at A level and by now I have already got 7 unis I want to go to that accept Computing OR Maths (all russell group unis).

I take it you meant to say Computer Science* has a lot of mathematics in it? I know this and I am revising A level maths on the side, not taking the exam though it's to keep my mind fresh.

Thanks for your response though
ScruffyQuaver
Rep:
?
(Original post by lollipopsftw)
Nottingham is alright I guess, but regardless of your predicted grades it doesn't make it impossible for you to get an A! If they want you then they'll say okay get an A instead of a B. Trust me predicted grades are important but don't limit you especially by one grade! I would go for it if I were you

Posted from TSR Mobile
You sir. Gave me confidence Much appreciated!
username1530463
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the advice, I do NOT need to do it though. I do computing at A level and by now I have already got 7 unis I want to go to that accept Computing OR Maths (all russell group unis).

I take it you meant to say Computer Science* has a lot of mathematics in it? I know this and I am revising A level maths on the side, not taking the exam though it's to keep my mind fresh.

Thanks for your response though
Good. I thought you could only apply for 5 courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ScruffyQuaver
Rep:
?
(Original post by asmuse123)
Good. I thought you could apply for 5 courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can, I have 7 to narrow down, I was showing how many unis accept computing as well as maths in my situation.
username1530463
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can, I have 7 to narrow down, I was showing how many unis accept computing as well as maths in my situation.
Oh, OK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SJS101
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Most universities will give offers to students predicted one grade below the requirements anyway, so i wouldnt worry to much.
CloakedSpartan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just realised the post I replied to was from 2014 because this thread was gravedug, sorry m80s
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.94%
No - but I will (46)
6.78%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.52%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (317)
46.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise