I hate doing A-Levels Watch

damonsalvatore
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm in my first year at sixth form at the school I've been attending since year 7. I initially left the school to go somewhere closer to home since my school is a 40 minute drive from where I live. I chose to come back to my old school after about a week of being at the new one because I didn't like the thought of being alone, I didn't fit in and wasn't comfortable around the teachers. (Which is a big deal for me since I'm really self conscious and not very confident).
After returning to my old school and completing the first half term, I hate what I'm doing.
I chose Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Art because those are the subjects I'm good at and enjoy. (I have several ideas for what I would like to study at uni).
I am aware that these are really difficult subjects and knew that I'd have a lot of work to do but I seem to be trying really hard and not getting anywhere. I keep getting Ds.
At GCSE I got some really good grades and getting D grades repeatedly is affecting my confidence hugely because I feel like I'm putting in loads of effort and getting nothing out of it.
I have a big group of friends but am reluctant to be sociable and go to parties because I'm unhappy. I've considered dropping out because it's making me really miserable but I have nothing else to do and I feel it would be a waste.
What should I do?
Nae
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think you should keep trying! A-levels definitely aren't easy and the truth is, that D's are the most common grade achieved at A-level, however this is just the start. You're doing things you've never done before, and maybe working harder than you ever have. Set your self small goals, like picking up a few more marks rather than whole grades, you don't want to discourage yourself by being unrealistic. At this point last year, I was doing worse than you, in a module I detest. And got an N in my mock, however in the actual exam I got a 'C', 2 ums off a 'B'. Progress takes time, the work you're putting in will pay off.

All the best.
Asexual Demigod
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by damonsalvatore)
I'm in my first year at sixth form at the school I've been attending since year 7. I initially left the school to go somewhere closer to home since my school is a 40 minute drive from where I live. I chose to come back to my old school after about a week of being at the new one because I didn't like the thought of being alone, I didn't fit in and wasn't comfortable around the teachers. (Which is a big deal for me since I'm really self conscious and not very confident).
After returning to my old school and completing the first half term, I hate what I'm doing.
I chose Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Art because those are the subjects I'm good at and enjoy. (I have several ideas for what I would like to study at uni).
I am aware that these are really difficult subjects and knew that I'd have a lot of work to do but I seem to be trying really hard and not getting anywhere. I keep getting Ds.
At GCSE I got some really good grades and getting D grades repeatedly is affecting my confidence hugely because I feel like I'm putting in loads of effort and getting nothing out of it.
I have a big group of friends but am reluctant to be sociable and go to parties because I'm unhappy. I've considered dropping out because it's making me really miserable but I have nothing else to do and I feel it would be a waste.
What should I do?
Look at the mark schemes and keep doing loads of past papers and checking exactly what the mark scheme accepts as the correct answer(s). Ask your teachers for more support and get them to do some marking for you; make sure you ask for any advice on how to improve and don't just focus on how good or bad you performed as it's just a mock test. Ask your fellow students or friends to work in groups with you if you learn better that way. Consider asking to attend a supplementary class if it's available where you'll receive extra help in smaller groups than your average class size. Consider dropping your weakest of the four at the end of your first year. You could also swap one of your three remaining courses for another to complete in a year. Do research online and use the exam board-issued textbooks too.

The point being that there are many options available to you. So before you give up and consider yourself to be incapable of doing your chosen courses, try some or all of the above. I assure you that it all adds up and will help you immensely - I know this from personal experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.06%
No - but I will (17)
5.31%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (158)
49.38%

Watched Threads