Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what does this mean?

ReputationRep:
    i found out for myself - but for anyone else that cares:

May Day began as a Spring festival long ago. People gathered together on the first day of May to celebrate the coming of Summer. There are a lot of different customs that have been a part of May Day festivities.

Some people would gather flowers and put them by their doors and windows to keep out troublesome fairies.

Some people would put out their old hearth fires and gather with the people in their village to start a new fire to take home.

Cutting down a tree and putting up a Maypole in the middle of a village is another popular custom. Ribbons are attached to the tree and are woven together by dancers.

One more popular custom is filling May Baskets with flowers and other goodies to give to friends and loved ones.

Some people still celebrate the pagan festival of Beltaine on the first of May. Many of the old customs are part of this celebration.

ReputationRep:
    May 1st is traditionally May Day, where the peasanty people used to have all sorts of celebrations, including maypole dancing and May Queen/King. They do lots of funny things at Oxford today.

Although nowadays some people refer to May Day as the Bank Holiday which is the first Monday in May.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    May 1st is traditionally May Day, where the peasanty people used to have all sorts of celebrations, including maypole dancing and May Queen/King. They do lots of funny things at Oxford today.

Although nowadays some people refer to May Day as the Bank Holiday which is the first Monday in May.
    cool - thanks

so who's been may pole dancing today?

ReputationRep:
    I thought mayday was where all the communists come together and protest about the evils of capitalism: last year i think it was fat cats i think tomorrow will be Iraq

ReputationRep:
    At least over here in Finland it´s the day of the working ppl. But most ppl don´t give a **** about that, they just go nuts and drink loads. It´s the craziest day of the year, the day when anything goes. Ppl like to lay on the streets and stop the traffic and climb onto traffic signs while getting absolutely wasted.

ReputationRep:
    It's the Pagan festival of Beltane, an ancient fertility festival, which is where the maypole comes from (you can guess what this symbolises). Pretty ironic that little kids go dancing around it.

ReputationRep:
    Happy Beltane

Paganism is quite a fertility based religion so there are alot of sexual conitations.

ReputationRep:
    We had the Cardiff Media Awards - go the Film Society!

*raises a pint of water to the Film Soc*

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.