The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No. It's a fact that more "assistance" (by which I mean copying) is given both with the maths "investigative" coursework and the "data analysis" coursework, than is given for many other subjects.

- It's easier to detect in English coursework when sentences look out of place and appear to span more than one style.

- It's easier to detect in Geography coursework where different groups take different approaches to data collection and collect different data.

- It's easier to detect in IT coursework where everybody does different projects.

But in the Maths coursework there is a very small amount of different approaches to the coursework (and this applies to both types). Everybody's T-number coursework ended up the same in my whole class, it's just that simple. I can only count two approaches to the hidden faces coursework, and one for the Emma's Dilemma (combinatorics) coursework.

Besides, each qualification is handled by a seperate group. So the decisions of the Maths GCSE group don't impact the science GCSE group.

Really? I thought it was tackled on the whole, never knew that.

I think that they shouldn't really scrap other subjects, in courswork, even Science. Maths had a problem because they did not change the questions. What they should do is instate the law to prevent coursework making, and to catch the lazy bastards out.
Reply 61
Lucy_P
I'm doing my coursework now (the last group to start, despite being 2nd highest set :P) and it's completely pointless and dull. I really don't give two ticks about heights in SA and the UK. and my teacher told me it was impossible to get 8 8 8 (marks) and just to aim for 7 7 7 or 766! What's the point of having 888 if it's A-Level type work?

It's not impossible,I got 888 for my number grid investigation although my teacher initially also said full marks was virtually impossible (but I proved him wrong) but it did take me ages and was 100 pages long! But if you put a lot of time and effort into it you can get 888 so it's not impossible.To be honest with maths cw unlike other subjects it's actually easier to get full marks becuause all you need to do is use a technique above GCSE level in your investigation.
Reply 62
hellom
It's not impossible,I got 888 for my number grid investigation but it did take me ages and was 100 pages long and also I used factorial notation in it!

And it was only worth 10% of the grade :rolleyes: I thought my 50 pages was bad :wink:
:eek: I got 8-8-8 for number grids with just over 20 pages...
Reply 64
calcium878

*claps Cal* :p:
Thanks Becky *Bows* :p:
Reply 66
calcium878

:hahaha: calcium878

Wait I did the same for Pythagoras :frown:
Reply 67
For my first piece of coursework, I done the Cars investigation and got 666 which turned out to be an A. This time for my second piece of coursework, Im aim for either 766 or 776 - as long as i get one 7, im happy enough :biggrin:
Cataclysm
:hahaha: calcium878

Wait I did the same for Pythagoras :frown:

:hahaha: Us two :p:

:cool:
You two are Maths freaks :p:
:suith: Maths
:evil: Maths
:suith: Maths :suith:
Reply 73
calcium878
:suith: Maths :suith: