Economics & Mathematical Sciences

Anyone doing or have done this degree?
Reply 1
bump
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I have done it (credit transferred for 120 credits from somewhere else.) What do you want to know?
Digging up an old thread here, but I'm also looking to do this degree. Selfive, could you share your experiences? Is it worth while, are the tutors good?

I'm more interested in the economics side of the degree and am a little worried about the maths.
Reply 4
Original post by Paulospanda
Digging up an old thread here, but I'm also looking to do this degree. Selfive, could you share your experiences? Is it worth while, are the tutors good?

I'm more interested in the economics side of the degree and am a little worried about the maths.

Its a lot of work but not too difficult. The hard part stems from the fact that a first is 85%. Economics side comes from memorising a book. The maths side isnt like terrifying maths but it does require speed and accuracy in the exams. I wouldnt worry about the maths too much - its not theoretical so the stuff u learn is actually kinda interesting. As for the economics you are given literally everything u need to do well in the courseworks and the exam. Anything specific u want to know?
Hey Selfive

Finally someone who has done the degree! Cheers for that insight. I guess all i'm after is assurance the course is worthwhile, some subjective feedback from current/previous students.

Where there any particular modules you didn't feel were worthwhile or any you particularly enjoyed?
Where there any problems with the economics/maths tutors you had? What was your experience throughout the course?
Do you feel better for doing it? Considering the alternatives (The fact that degree education costs this much), is the degree worth the 16k+time I would end up spending?
Do you know of any groups for this particular degree where I could gleam more peoples experiences? (I.E - I found a Politics/Philosophy/Economics Facebook group for OU, but not for this degree)
How much time did you spend each week studying for this course?
Reply 6
Hey,

Depends what you mean by worthwhile? Ive managed to get an offer from a big 4 firm and Im currently doing a masters in accounting and finance at a russell group uni after i did that Bsc. as long as u do well of course its worthwhile (get a 2:1 MINIMUM!).

Modules - the ones I did were fine, they gave a pretty good macro and micro economic background, the maths stuff has actually come in handy a couple of times (the statistical modelling module is very useful for econometrics).
the tutors are AMAZING - will help you every step of the way if you contact them. the main issue with the course its lonely to a higghh extent. unless u form some e-friendships or by chance have someone in your area doing the same degree, its basically going to be you vs the course. again im not sure what you mean by "is the degree worth it"? its definitely a real degree if thats what you mean? and it will allow you to tick the graduate box in job applications. if your after the uni experience then ofc this is not what you should be doing but if you are one to keep your head down and work hard for the sake of a degree which you can gain while earning then this is what you are afterr.
There aren't enough words to describe how much better I am for doing it - life changing experience that you can't get from other uni's and it's helped me get my life on track
Unfortunately I don't know of any groups where you can talk about this kinda stuff - as I mentioned before it's not exactly the most social of activities.
I spent quite a lot of time studying for the course because I knew that the percentage needed for good grades was higher. You get frequent assignments and then a final exam for each module.

If you need anything else let me know
Paulospanda, at the OU, students get divided more into the modules they are studying rather that their degree. There is pretty much a Facebook group for every module out there, so you should find out which modules you'll be studying first and find those FB groups.

Quick Reply

Latest