should i study a year abroad or a year in industry Watch

Android10197
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
so i wanna do mechanical engineering at Leicester and it has the option of either a year abroad in the states or a year in industry. its been one of my dreams to study at an american uni but with the opportunity to put a foot into a company also seems tempting so im basically torn between the two. what would you guys do in my position
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Android10197)
so i wanna do mechanical engineering at Leicester and it has the option of either a year abroad in the states or a year in industry. its been one of my dreams to study at an american uni but with the opportunity to put a foot into a company also seems tempting so im basically torn between the two. what would you guys do in my position
It's entirely a personal choice. Both of them enhance you as a candidate, although if you're looking to go directly into a graduate scheme or job afterwards the experience will almost always trump the year abroad. That said, if you can use your summers wisely and get a couple of shorter placements then you can bridge that gap, and take the great opportunity to go abroad without losing too much from an experience perspective.

I did a year in industry, and I don't regret it. I know a couple of people who did year in NA/AUS and loved it, and I imagine they'd do it all again too. It's whatever works for you, but for me, I wanted to help secure my future more (and get an idea of if I even wanted to work in industry). I figure once i'm working I will have the money to travel, which isn't the same thing, but depends what it means to you. Getting a foot in the door of a big international company may afford you the opportunity to take your career abroad at a later stage. You're unlikely to get a job offer at the end of your placement (they will fast track you through their graduate schemes, probably, but it's rarer for them to ever offer anything solid now). If you really want to study abroad then it's a perfect time to do it.

Financially, you'll get paid during a placement, whereas you won't abroad. It's a little bonus.

You can give it a shot and apply to placements abroad; you might be able to combine both of your wishes that way. I wouldn't rely on it and if it's something of interest i'd check out what it's like getting a placement in the US. There are a reasonable number of opportunities in Europe, but a big restriction may be your inclination to foreign languages.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (212)
39.41%
No - but I will (38)
7.06%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.69%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (252)
46.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise