The Student Room Group

Chemistry Interviews 2015

Anyone have attended or have an interview booked for Chemistry?

I have mine tomorow (4th Nov) at Uni of Sheffield and the day after at Leeds! I'm pretty nervous so any advice would be fantastic!
I have mine tomorrow at Sheffield too! I'm really nervous, I'm not too sure what to expect.
Reply 2
I guess I'll see you there :P I think we're all kinda in the same boat cause I think this is the first lot of interviews?
Reply 3
Original post by laurenw2
Anyone have attended or have an interview booked for Chemistry?

I have mine tomorow (4th Nov) at Uni of Sheffield and the day after at Leeds! I'm pretty nervous so any advice would be fantastic!

Original post by fannieannie97
I have mine tomorrow at Sheffield too! I'm really nervous, I'm not too sure what to expect.

You'll be fine, it's informal. You will get a tour of the department, some chances to speak to students/academics, and a 1-on-1 interview just having a chat. We spoke about things in my personal statement, discussed some mechanisms and reactions (I said I liked organic chemistry, I remember being asked about esters in some way). We discussed course choice (i'd apply for year out courses so they like to check suitability) but it's pretty much just to make sure you're okay with everything. They largely interview the successful applicants, so don't worry and think it's make or break :smile: they've seen something they liked.
Reply 4
Original post by Nymthae
You'll be fine, it's informal. You will get a tour of the department, some chances to speak to students/academics, and a 1-on-1 interview just having a chat. We spoke about things in my personal statement, discussed some mechanisms and reactions (I said I liked organic chemistry, I remember being asked about esters in some way). We discussed course choice (i'd apply for year out courses so they like to check suitability) but it's pretty much just to make sure you're okay with everything. They largely interview the successful applicants, so don't worry and think it's make or break :smile: they've seen something they liked.

You're right it was fine! The guy at Sheffield basically said everyone who attended was getting an offer verbally after this interview (mine was AAB) but yeah it was nothing to worry about!:biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by laurenw2
You're right it was fine! The guy at Sheffield basically said everyone who attended was getting an offer verbally after this interview (mine was AAB) but yeah it was nothing to worry about!:biggrin:

really? that seems great! I've got mine on the 11th and i'm pretty nervous.. Did they ask any questions that were not entirely related to your personal statement? (purely chemistry based questions?)
Reply 6
Original post by Nn_a1
really? that seems great! I've got mine on the 11th and i'm pretty nervous.. Did they ask any questions that were not entirely related to your personal statement? (purely chemistry based questions?)

Yeah he asked me to draw a mechanism for the formation of ethyl ethanoate so make sure you brush up on your organic chem!
I've got one at York on the 11th of December. Nothing from Bath or Cardiff yet though
I've got an interview at Greenwich (im appalled - didn't even know they did interviews!) and another at Bristol for Chemical Physics. Any tips? Also, does an interview mean you've got a good chance of getting an offer? Could someone provide/make up some statistics to reassure me, please? :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Humza Ali
I've got an interview at Greenwich (im appalled - didn't even know they did interviews!) and another at Bristol for Chemical Physics. Any tips? Also, does an interview mean you've got a good chance of getting an offer? Could someone provide/make up some statistics to reassure me, please? :biggrin:

Can't provide anything concrete i'm afraid, but them giving up the time to interview you and tour you around is often a good thing :smile: perhaps more applicable to Greenwich: you may well be a successful applicant, but by interviewing you and making you visit they have the chance to try and impress you, as lots of people probably apply there as an insurance choice and perhaps haven't visited it.

Bristol interviews are quite normal though I think, so you probably can't read too much into that. Go in with a bit of confidence and it'll be fine - they wouldn't have bothered to offer you an interview if they were going to reject you based on your grades or anything you've mentioned in your PS.
Had my Greenwich interview (Chemistry MChem) today - no chemistry questions asked and the interviewer was very nice and laid back. She just asked questions based around my personal statement (extra curricular activities and some of the lectures I've been to) and we discussed my offer - around 300 UCAS points (+/- 20 pts) and at least a B in Chemistry. That was it really, not much to it. She emphasised how flexible they are so I'm sure you could get in with BCC or something.

Hope this helps out anyone applying there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending