The Student Room Group

Live at home, take my own council house or go to campus? (I beg you for advice!)

So basically...

I'm 21 years old and I'm hoping to go to UWS Hamilton next year to study Community Learning and Participation. I have no doubt that is the course for me. However I'm getting so stressed out about deciding where the hell I'm going to live.

Option #1 - Stay at home and travel to uni every day. It's a 50 minute bus journey to uni, which is fine, however I'm living with parents and sharing a bedroom with a 15 year old brother. It's a very tense household, constant arguing and it's making me really depressed and anxious. I think my family are hoping I'll move out soon so my 10 year old sister can take "our" bedroom and my brother can take her small bedroom in return. If I stayed at home throughout my 3 (or 4) years at uni then I'll be nagged at for all those years about not having a job and not moving out and not being independent and by the time I get a degree I'd be about 25 years old and still living with family (if they will even keep me that long!).

Option #2 - I've been offered a council house which I'm viewing tomorrow. I'm not working so would be claiming Housing Benefit and Jobseekers Allowance. Most likely I'd be poor and struggle to pay for course materials and transport, but at least with this option I have my own place to study and I have somewhere to be during the holidays/my own house after I get my degree (and can get a job to pay for it properly). I've read a student loan would be a replacement for housing benefit in this situation but even if that worked, I'd still be living on £50 a week for gas/electricity/Internet/food/transport/random things/course materials etc.

Option #3 - Live on campus. Independence, freedom, "student life" etc but the problem is that I would need to return home during holidays and then what would I do after my 1st year of uni is over? Return home after a year of living independently? I wouldn't be able to afford my own place and while I keep reading about people sharing flats with their classmates and stuff, how is that even paid for? Does a student loan pay for my accomodation at campus? How would I have money for food and stuff without a job? UGH!!!

I'm completely overwhelmed by everything. I have social anxiety and depression and all this uni/campus/Ucas/Saas/council house/family nagging/job stuff is driving me insane and I'm about to have a breakdown. I just need to vent and see if anyone can give me some tips of what they think is best for me or if they have any new suggestions I could consider. I'm part time at college just now so I don't get help with Ucas or anything and have nobody to talk to about this stuff. I'm freaking out. :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Financially, it would be the optimal to go for option #2. However, if you care about the social aspects of university life, then go for option #3.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. Wouldn't I be in a bit of a mess financially wise by taking my own house with no job, though?
Reply 3
Original post by Shadow2009

Option #2 - I've been offered a council house which I'm viewing tomorrow. I'm not working so would be claiming Housing Benefit and Jobseekers Allowance. Most likely I'd be poor and struggle to pay for course materials and transport, but at least with this option I have my own place to study and I have somewhere to be during the holidays/my own house after I get my degree (and can get a job to pay for it properly). I've read a student loan would be a replacement for housing benefit in this situation but even if that worked, I'd still be living on £50 a week for gas/electricity/Internet/food/transport/random things/course materials etc.

You can only claim Housing Benefit when studying full-time if you're one of a few select groups, one of which is you're disabled and claiming Disability Living Allowance/PIP. The majority of FT students can't claim housing benefit.

Besides, housing benefit isn't just for social tenants. It is also paid to private tennants as Local Housing Allowance (including some university halls of residence), so renting privately would also be an option. If renting privately you'll only be entitled to the shared accommodation rate of Local Housing Allowance. But, again, this only applies if you're one of the groups who can claim Housing Benefit in the first place.

Having your own property can be expensive if living alone as you have the full cost of bills as well as rent (even the rent for a one bed apartment can be more expensive than a room in a four or five bed house). Sharing would be far more sensible.

Similarly, you cannot claim JSA as a FT student, even during the holidays when not at university, just in case you thought you could.

If you're OK sharing with strangers then there are various websites where you can find spare rooms/housemates.

Option #3 - Live on campus. Independence, freedom, "student life" etc but the problem is that I would need to return home during holidays and then what would I do after my 1st year of uni is over?

Share e flat or house with other students as practically everyone else does. Yes it's paid for through student finance and, if needed, earnings from a PT job/summer work and parents.
Original post by Shadow2009
So basically...

I'm 21 years old and I'm hoping to go to UWS Hamilton next year to study Community Learning and Participation. I have no doubt that is the course for me. However I'm getting so stressed out about deciding where the hell I'm going to live.

Option #1 - Stay at home and travel to uni every day. It's a 50 minute bus journey to uni, which is fine, however I'm living with parents and sharing a bedroom with a 15 year old brother. It's a very tense household, constant arguing and it's making me really depressed and anxious. I think my family are hoping I'll move out soon so my 10 year old sister can take "our" bedroom and my brother can take her small bedroom in return. If I stayed at home throughout my 3 (or 4) years at uni then I'll be nagged at for all those years about not having a job and not moving out and not being independent and by the time I get a degree I'd be about 25 years old and still living with family (if they will even keep me that long!).

Option #3 - Live on campus. Independence, freedom, "student life" etc but the problem is that I would need to return home during holidays and then what would I do after my 1st year of uni is over? Return home after a year of living independently? I wouldn't be able to afford my own place and while I keep reading about people sharing flats with their classmates and stuff, how is that even paid for? Does a student loan pay for my accomodation at campus? How would I have money for food and stuff without a job? UGH!!!

I'm completely overwhelmed by everything. I have social anxiety and depression and all this uni/campus/Ucas/Saas/council house/family nagging/job stuff is driving me insane and I'm about to have a breakdown. I just need to vent and see if anyone can give me some tips of what they think is best for me or if they have any new suggestions I could consider. I'm part time at college just now so I don't get help with Ucas or anything and have nobody to talk to about this stuff. I'm freaking out. :s-smilie:

Well I went to uni at 21 I'd say live at uni the loan especially if you live in a low income house hold should cover your tuition fees and with the maintenance grant food and rent.

You can get a job a uni the work force will be predominately made up of students Bar work or working in a shop or something will get you a bit of income which should help but don't take too many hours and ever work instead of going to a class.

Uni halls will allow you to stay over the holidays at least Christmas and Easter once you get into second year you can still stay in halls although they will be second and third year halls or you'll be able to go in to the private housing sector either with randomers or mates this is usually done with an agent and you'll be renting the union can also help with student housing you pay rent via direct debit and you'l need a grantor in case you default on your payments which won't be a problem as long as your sensible with your money I know it's a bit complicated but al will become clear in time at this point just worry about halls second year will come and it will seem simple once your there you will need to spend some time at home between contracts but not loads if you don't want to " a month at most" good luck
If this isn't too late a reply, have you considered renting a room, or staying in a room with a family? That could be cheaper alternative :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending