Should I move to uni halls when I live in the same city? Watch

Poll: Did you move to uni halls even though you lived in the same city?
Yes (I regret it) (0)
0%
Yes (I don't regret it) (2)
40%
No (I regret it) (1)
20%
No (I don't regret it) (1)
20%
Yes I moved out but uni was in a different city (1)
20%
benjamin17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I live in Plymouth and I'm planning on going to Plymouth Uni. I'm not sure whether to move out to uni halls for the first year or not. I only live 10/ 15 mins away and my parents are great as they never mind giving me lifts to parties or whatever and are not strict. I'm not that sociable at the moment however due to the stress of my A - Levels! Also Uni debt doesn't look inviting! Any Advice???
mcgreevy1993
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I personally wouldn't.
It isn't worth the debt and you can use the money on books/course equipment/ect.
You need to way up if you want the halls experience or not. Theres only one chance to get it, so if you really want to do halls then I would suggest moving out into halls.
I'm at Plymouth Uni and some halls/houses are amazing.
But i'm from the midlands

I have friends who commute in, and two who lives in halls although they are from Plymouth.
First year they felt like he missed out from staying at home, they liked to be close to campus for the night life, lectures and late nights in the library at deadlines.

However my friend who lives at home also has enough money to commute in on his motorbike and gets work done without the sociable distractions living on campus brings.

Living on campus usually does make things easier, but it's also the expense.

Looking back now, If i went to Uni in my home town I'd have lived at home. I think you can make friends even if you're at home or in halls. You just have to make more effort if it's not on your doorstep. But not dealing with crappy student houses, (mice, dirt, ect), having no money in your bank account and making your own dinner definitely is making me look forward to moving back home after graduation
pane123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If moving into halls would be a financial burden then it's a stupid idea.
GiantKiwi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not to mention that the university halls aren't ever allocated to those within commutable distance of the uni campus, unless you have a physical disability which makes said commute not possible
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of Plymouth
    All departments open Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads