Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
With the rise of small parties such as UKIP, the Greens and the SNP to previously unimaginable heights in British politics it is interesting to ponder a party that is still very small but may mirror such growth in the future.

The Liberal party has a strong claim to being Britain's oldest political party. During the 20th century they wilted in the shade of the expanding Labour party before the SDP-Liberal alliance dealt the final blow to the Liberals' as a major independent force.

However, the party has been sustained by a modest band of stalwart councillors and members. Their greatest electoral success was to come second, ahead of the Lib Dems, in the constituency of Liverpool West Derby in 2001. As of yet they do not have any MEPs or MPs.

What is your impression of them from reading their website? Do you think they may, under the right leadership, experience a resurgence in popular support sometime in the future?

http://www.liberal.org.uk/html/wherewestand.htm
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Any thoughts?
#Ridwan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They're basically libertarians/classical liberals so I will always have time for them, though no candidate of theirs has ever stood in an election I've voted in.

I have considered joining them as they are essentially a much more principled Lib Dems, who have completely washed their hands of the liberal tradition.

I think it's unlikely their support will extend beyond its core on Merseyside unless they can get themselves organised nationally. There's certainly a place for them as most of their policies are rooted in rationality and they could gain a foothold if they made the effort.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by #Ridwan)
They're basically libertarians/classical liberals so I will always have time for them, though no candidate of theirs has ever stood in an election I've voted in.

I have considered joining them as they are essentially a much more principled Lib Dems, who have completely washed their hands of the liberal tradition.

I think it's unlikely their support will extend beyond its core on Merseyside unless they can get themselves organised nationally. There's certainly a place for them as most of their policies are rooted in rationality and they could gain a foothold if they made the effort.
I agree, now is surely the time to build support with Clegg and the Lib Dems at such a low. They need a Farage to really push them forwards.

I'm seriously considering joining them but some of their policies and assembly motions seem slightly off, e.g. an elected House of Lords, and like you I don't know of I'd ever get a chance to vote for them in an election. I am considering contacting them to ask if I can stand for them myself (with little prospect of victory, of course) in Bristol next year.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
SDP=Sewage & Drainage Party, not too different from what the Lib-Dems are these days.

Same goes for the most part with UKIP.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alfissti)
SDP=Sewage & Drainage Party, not too different from what the Lib-Dems are these days.

Same goes for the most part with UKIP.
Sorry, I don't see how this relates to the thread...
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Liberal Party would dismantle all of the UK’s weapons of mass destruction now, we thus remain committed to unilateral nuclear disarmament and would scrap Trident, now, not seek to replace it. The LibDems appear to want to fudge the issue by keeping our nuclear weapons, developing a replacement for trident but delaying the final decision!

Not a fan of general small defense policies which this would indicate but seems liberal enough.

The Liberal Party believes that fundamental reform of the European Union is essential, and that the UK may have to withdraw, or threaten to withdraw, from the EU to get it. We believe that policies such as the common agricultural and common fisheries policies are protectionist, fundamentally illiberal and have proved disastrous. We are opposed to the introduction of the Euro in the UK;
One of the great paradoxes of LibDem policy is that they campaign for power in the UK with the apparent desire of surrendering it all to the EU. They are fundamentally uncritical Euro-enthusiasts;
We are opposed to the provisions of the Treaty of Lisbon and campaigned extensively to secure a referendum on the issue;
The LibDems are enthusiastically in favour of the Lisbon Treaty to the extent that they went back on their promise of a referendum and helped the Government impose the Treaty on us with out our being given any choice. Hardly a liberal position to adopt;

Seem in tune with the Tory position here, a surprise but one i'm not entirely against especially since i despise the CAP and CFP.

The Liberal Party remains committed to land value taxation, a form of taxation which releases the wealth from land and gives it back to the community to whom it belongs;

Generally supportive of taxing wealth over income, land is a way to do this although it depends how far they'd go.

The Liberal Party would dismantle the bureaucratic and unaccountable NHS Trusts replacing them with predominately elected community based bodies, while the Liberal Democrats would retain them;

No opinion.

We oppose any sort of national curriculum imposed by Whitehall and would abolish league tables and all SATS, while the LibDems would retain them in a revised form;

Opposed although i do think only the English Bac should be mandatory with a much looser curriculum thereafter. Opposed to the other ideas.

Liberals would return the water and rail industries to public ownership while the LibDems would maintain the status quo;

Opposed.

The Liberal Party opposes the use of undemocratic “party list” systems of proportional representation in elections, while the Liberal Democrats claim to have been responsible for their introduction.

I'd prefer pure party lists over candidates.

Mixed but not bad.

More interesting though is the views of their elected Councillor which reads like the Green Party manifesto (though i'm not against social housing with the right to buy).

Their summer newsletter also suggest the Party President opposes military intervention against ISIS.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (42)
32.31%
No (67)
51.54%
Don't know (21)
16.15%

Watched Threads