Getting Canadian Citizenship to avoid international tuition fees Watch

Pancik
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,
I was hoping you might help me on this one. I turning 18 this year and i am planning on going to study in Canada on University of Toronto. After i finish my degree i would like to stay in Canada and work there. Is it possible to avoid the international tuition fees by applying for canadian citizenship and permanent residency. If you know more please let me know.
Thanks
zero_gravity
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pancik)
Hello,
I was hoping you might help me on this one. I turning 18 this year and i am planning on going to study in Canada on University of Toronto. After i finish my degree i would like to stay in Canada and work there. Is it possible to avoid the international tuition fees by applying for canadian citizenship and permanent residency. If you know more please let me know.
Thanks
Hi there.

Well, that first depends on how long you've been staying in Canada. If you have lived in Canada for at least 3 years, then you would be able to apply for permanent residency.

With that being said, once you get your permanent residence card, you will be eligible to pay domestic fees. However, with the tightening of immigration laws, it will only be increasingly harder to get one.

Hope that helps.
Pancik
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by zero_Gravity91)
Hi there.

Well, that first depends on how long you've been staying in Canada. If you have lived in Canada for at least 3 years, then you would be able to apply for permanent residency.

With that being said, once you get your permanent residence card, you will be eligible to pay domestic fees. However, with the tightening of immigration laws, it will only be increasingly harder to get one.

Hope that helps.
So Do I really need to live in Canada for at least 3 years to get permanent residency?
zero_gravity
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So Do I really need to live in Canada for at least 3 years to get permanent residency?
It depends on what category you are in. I suggest checking this out: http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/newcomers/about-pr.asp.

But if you haven't lived in Canada at all, I'm afraid you won't be able to get permanent residency. You don't just live for 3 years and then you will be eligible for permanent residency. There is a complicated immigration process that you will need to take before being considered for it.
birchmc
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello,
Thanks

It took me 7 years to get permanent residency. The application process can be really complicated and difficult. If you're banking on doing that to pay for your university, I suggest that you consider other options unfortunately.
TheTechN1304
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can't just show up in a country and expect permanent residency
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.66%
No - but I will (46)
6.69%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (325)
47.24%

Watched Threads