The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

not sure what you are disagreeing with. Hull dropped 12-14 places (depending on which stats you use), student intake numbers are down 20% for 2014/15, staff leaving in droves....

One football team does not a great uni make.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Of course I've only made three posts. I've only just joined. And as its my experience and facts, then surely it's only right I should be allowed to say so.

if you think my facts are wrong please feel free to post the correct ones, I certainly encourage anyone to google the league tables for the last couple of years. That way, they can see that Hull have dropped.
Oh and just for the record, statistically, if someone has a bad experience, they tell 10-20 people. I've only posted the fact once so that people can make an informed choice when they are spending 30k
The football team has nothing to do with it, all I said was that the owner of the club (pretty rich) invested lots of money into that research department which is a huge step forward
Obviously not really a step forward if the Uni falls down the table even after the investment.
Well when looking at Computer Science, it has improved drastically.

When looking at TheCompleteUniversityGuide (http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings), the Computer Science Rank has improved each year.
38th - 2016
42nd - 2015
55th - 2014
61st - 2013

Now, I don't know what its like in other departments, but when comparing this university to others during Applicant Days - its awesome!
The HIVE Virtual Environment Software, VR equipment (ie. Oculus) and recent Robotics facilities have shown considerable advantages with comparisons.
The SEED Software department and connections with Microsoft make it seem pretty good to me - but I can only compare from a Computer Science point of view.

Yes the city itself might not be regarded too highly, but when regarding the university itself and all the most important factors for a student; its an excellent uni.
(edited 8 years ago)
Subject specific table maybe, but overall...

(62)

Hull

Satisfied with course

Satisfied with teaching

Satisfied with feedback

Student to staff ratio

Spend per student/10

Average entry tariff

Value added score/10

Career after 6 months

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/02/university-league-tables-2015-the-complete-list
Just to clarify as the layout may have changed, Hull down to 75th place from 65 the previous year.
Beaten by Edge hill that used to be a college until 2006, against one of the oldest universities in the country...enough said.
Well it completely depends on the degree, universities are better in different departments. It also does depend on which statistics you use; that one you showed isn't updated.
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk shows 96% Satisfaction Rate amongst students, with 89% in employment 6 months after the course. The Uni Website itself states that they were ranked something like 7th in the UK for Computer Science graduate prospects.
Yep, you can make statistics say what you want really. However, like I said, this is my experience that I am sharing and I think the overall rankings say it's dropping places which I believe corresponds to my experience.

Im not asking people to turn their offers down, just giving them real time info so they can at least ask the right questions and do some serious thinking. After all, spending £35,0000 on their choices, I'd certainly want to be looking closely to see if its value for money.
Original post by Disgruntledbio
Yep, you can make statistics say what you want really. However, like I said, this is my experience that I am sharing and I think the overall rankings say it's dropping places which I believe corresponds to my experience.

Im not asking people to turn their offers down, just giving them real time info so they can at least ask the right questions and do some serious thinking. After all, spending £35,0000 on their choices, I'd certainly want to be looking closely to see if its value for money.

So, having checked out the statistics you have posted, and the other set by Alex... the statistics you show are actually out of date, so that is in fact putting forward misleading information.
Not sure what you are saying is out of date Justyna...
Not sure what you are saying is out of date Justyna...

The statistics, like I said in the post above.
The statistics are present day ones so not sure what you are saying. :-)
The statistics are present day ones so not sure what you are saying. :-)

These statistics, were taken before the ones on the government website, for one. And they are from League Tables. Plus, it seems like they actually vary across the different papers, so that is quite a warning sign.
http://university.which.co.uk/advice/what-do-university-league-tables-really-tell-you This would be helpful to show why we should be weary of the different Tables.
The league tables are mostly nonsense. Anyone who rates them as fact is clearly ignorant of how bad the practice is. It's probably not necessary for me to say but I will anyway just in case it is.
The university of Hull is decent! The main reason it doesn't get much recognition is its lack of applicants and popularity - whilst so many universities grade inflate it's easy for lesser popular universities to be pushed aside in student priority.
I'm referring specifically to the physics department but I reckon it's very similar for other science depts.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hull have dropped 12 places in the rankings, student numbers have dropped significantly so they are offering everyone unconditional. It's a bad uni at the moment, don't be fooled by their sales pitch.

No doubt you are not doing very well with your attitude,if it is so bad maybe you should leave and see if anyone else will have you.
My son's offer went unconditional even though it's his insurance and they've confirmed that if he doesn't get into his first choice then Hull will automatically give him a place, so the unconditional offer is good for either first choice or insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest