Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laimliam
Philosophy BA. What are your reasons for choosing Hull? :smile:

Really friendly and nice place, well organised open and applicant days, and the staff are great :smile: also a cheap place to live and the city is the up and coming UK thing, everything's either being or is refurbished too which is great
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Philosophy BA. What are your reasons for choosing Hull? :smile:

Where else have you applied for Phil?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a 2nd year chemist at hull uni if anyone has any questions about doing chemistry or studying/living in hull :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You already asked me on a couple of previous pages :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by WillSharp
Really friendly and nice place, well organised open and applicant days, and the staff are great :smile: also a cheap place to live and the city is the up and coming UK thing, everything's either being or is refurbished too which is great

I haven't been to an open day yet but am going to an applicant day soonish! Have you been and seen the city and stuff as well then? :smile:
You already asked me on a couple of previous pages :wink:

Haha oh **** :smile: so forgetful sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FreshGarbage
Haha oh **** :smile: so forgetful sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha don't worry about it :wink:
Original post by Alotties
I'm a 2nd year chemist at hull uni if anyone has any questions about doing chemistry or studying/living in hull :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey :smile: what's the social scene like at Hull uni/in the city? both clubbing, bars and pubs, but also is there a lot going on within campus/at halls? things like comedy clubs and street food in the city centre? if that all makes sense... :tongue:
Original post by Alotties

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes please! I'm looking to start chem next year. Heard hull is quite good in terms of the course and whatnot, but what should I expect in terms if styles of teaching? Also, if I were to look for work placements relevant to chemistry, is there support given? Or is it "you're on your own" kinda thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firmed Hull for conditional offer for Computer Science MEng (G402). Can't wait to get there now!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey :smile: what's the social scene like at Hull uni/in the city? both clubbing, bars and pubs, but also is there a lot going on within campus/at halls? things like comedy clubs and street food in the city centre? if that all makes sense... :tongue:

There are loads of clubs, for every taste in music. If you're from a big city, Hull is a lot smaller but it's a really friendly community and everyone is proud of being in Hull. Down Newland Ave and Bev Road which are right next to the uni, there are more bars than you can dream of and everyone in Hull flocks to this area for a good time, it's very cosmopolitan. There's a big local music scene too so always lots of gigs if that's your scene. There were always activities on at the Lawns like dodgeball and football and stuff and on campus they have give it a go sessions where you can try everything from chocolate making to going to the theatre. The city centre has plenty of restaurants but not so much street food.

Original post by Judge Jasel
Yes please! I'm looking to start chem next year. Heard hull is quite good in terms of the course and whatnot, but what should I expect in terms if styles of teaching? Also, if I were to look for work placements relevant to chemistry, is there support given? Or is it "you're on your own" kinda thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Teaching is really good, all of the lectures reply to email inquiries pretty quickly and operate an open door policy where you can go in and ask questions anytime within office hours. There is a lot more support than you'd expect to be honest and we get assessed every 5 or so weeks so you're constantly working so never have to leave all revision to the last minute as you will have covered it recently. There are 8hrs of labs, 2hrs of workshops and between 10-12 lectures per week so lots of chance to learn and ask questions.
And for placements, I've applied for mine now but there was a lot of support, not so much on the CV side although the careers office do a workshop especially for chem students and placement CVs. As soon as our lecture found a placement suitable it was posted online for us all to look at and apply for and there are well over 50 on there so it's pretty supportive. You are on your own when it comes to sending in applications and completing interviews but on your year in industry you will be visited at least twice depending on distance and still have the academic support of the uni. The department is really good, couldn't imagine studying anywhere else now :tongue:
hi all ive applied to hull and 4 others to study social work but not heard anything yet so dying to find out. i live in bridlington so will be travelling to hull to get there. anybody else wanting to study social work?
Got an offer for accounting and finance
Doing economics , IT and Biology in A-levels.
From Derbyshire !
Wondering if anyone else has applied to the course ?
Original post by donageorge
Got an offer for accounting and finance
Doing economics , IT and Biology in A-levels.
From Derbyshire !
Wondering if anyone else has applied to the course ?

I've got an offer for accounting! I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics ^_^
Original post by PaintYouWings
I've got an offer for accounting! I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics ^_^

Are you planning to go to any of the applicants days coming up ?
Original post by LordGirdler
Firmed Hull for conditional offer for Computer Science MEng (G402). Can't wait to get there now!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey are you going to the applicant day on 7th Feb by any chance? :smile:
got an offer for history :smile: from newcastle but live in cambridge
Firmed Hull to study Chemical Eng (unconditional)
From Hertfordshire
Reply 78
Congrats! Do you think you're gonna go through the statement/interviews and stuff?

Definitely, it seems like quite an easy process. Are you?
Original post by HolE
Definitely, it seems like quite an easy process. Are you?

Yeah trust me it's great

Quick Reply

Latest