The Student Room Group

What is better for women: Western culture or Islamic culture?

Scroll to see replies

The 'Islamic Culture' is too broad of a category. For example Both Saudi Arabia and Istanbul are both places with Islamic culture, but one is a country with an extremist ideology in which women are treated as second class citizens and the other is a place where women have just as much freedom as in the west.
Reply 21
Original post by sarsoora
Because Saudi Arabia really is an accurate representation of what Islam means for women.

:facepalm:

>Implying that the country containing Mecca, the holiest city in the religion of Islam and the birthplace of its prophet, doesn't represent Islam.

Reply 22
I don't really care about women as a whole. Islamic 'culture' works best for me. A few rules here and there can't harm anyone. They haven't harmed me for 16 years. Islam is my freedom in a way non Muslims cannot comprehend.

Also, it's about the expectations coming from certain individuals. Muslims in arab countries would give anything to come here, but Muslims in western countries would give anything to go there. Some Muslims were born in the west and love it, others hate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Women in the west have all the power, so that should tell you everything you need to know.
Reply 24
Original post by Mahnaz96
I don't really care about women as a whole. Islamic 'culture' works best for me. A few rules here and there can't harn anyone. They haven't harmed for for 16 years. Islam is my freedom in a way non Muslims cannot comprehend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They probably can't comprehend it because that's a total misuse of the word 'freedom'.
Reply 25
Original post by KingBradly
They probably can't comprehend it because that's a total misuse of the word 'freedom'.

Well for you yeah. But everyone has their individual idea of the word "freedom". If I say Islam frees me, I mean Islam frees me. And you can't say it doesn't because you don't know anything about me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
The amount of muslims desperately trying to get into this country should tell you the answer.

I think that's more for economic rather than cultural reasons...

Regarding the question the OP asked, I think it would be interesting to hear from women who have actually experienced both, rather than those who are having to speculate as to what it's really like to live in one of those cultures.
(edited 9 years ago)
Depends upon an individual's interpretation of "better"
Reply 28
Well for you yeah. But everyone has their individual idea of the word "freedom". If I say Islam frees me, I mean Islam frees me. And you can't say it doesn't because you don't know anything about me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't just use words how you feel they should be used. Otherwise they become meaningless.

The reason I say Islam doesn't free you is because that is a misuse of the word 'free', not because I don't know anything about you. What is it exactly that Islam frees you from?

There's no doubt the idea of freedom is complex, but if there is one thing it isn't, then its abiding by rules which you didn't create, out of fear.
Original post by yo radical one
Western culture, not because Islam is evil, but because Western culture is inclusive and can fully encompass Islamic culture. A woman can come to the West, be a Muslim and fully live in accordance with Islamic law, however a woman can't live the Western lifestyle within an Islamic society. In the West you can choose.

This really depends on what your definition of "western culture". I would say that this "all-inclusiveness" you're describing is actually multiculturalism, rather than western culture per-se.
>Implying that the country containing Mecca, the holiest city in the religion of Islam and the birthplace of its prophet, doesn't represent Islam.

It doesn't; there are plenty of laws and practices in Saudi Arabia that have nothing to do with Islam. For one thing, it's a Kingdom rather than a Caliphate. It has changed significantly since the rule of the Prophet.
Reply 31
You can't just use words how you feel they should be used. Otherwise they become meaningless.

The reason I say Islam doesn't free you is because that is a misuse of the word 'free', not because I don't know anything about you. What is it exactly that Islam frees you from?

There's no doubt the idea of freedom is complex, but if there is one thing it isn't, then its abiding by rules which you didn't create, out of fear.

Yes I agree with the fact that I can't just use the word how I feel. But I won't be a victim and say that Islam is opressive, unfair etc... Because it isn't in my opinion.

"...by rules which you didn't create" Well those rules are there for a reason, and those rules save as well as free me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by tazarooni89
It doesn't; there are plenty of laws and practices in Saudi Arabia that have nothing to do with Islam. For one thing, it's a Kingdom rather than a Caliphate. It has changed significantly since the rule of the Prophet.

The laws do have something to do with Islam. They may not be derived from the Qur'an, but they are derived from the Hadiths, like most Sharia Law.
Reply 33

Exactly. Your posts have been spot on. The whole driving thing belongs to them as well there's nothing in Islam that says women can't drive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Yes I agree with the fact that I can't just use the word how I feel. But I won't be a victim and say that Islam is opressive, unfair etc... Because it isn't in my opinion.

"...by rules which you didn't create" Well those rules are there for a reason, and those rules save as well as free me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And what reason would that be?
The laws do have something to do with Islam. They may not be derived from the Qur'an, but they are derived from the Hadiths, like most Sharia Law.

Not all of them. There is no Islamic basis on which to have a Royal family ultimately in charge of the country, for example. And this results in plenty of laws and practices with no basis in Islam whatsoever.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 36
Not all of them. There is no Islamic basis on which to have a Royal family ultimately in charge of the country.

No, but that isn't a law, as such. That's just how the country is run.
Reply 37
And what reason would that be?

Islam is a broad religion. A lot of rules which one must follow. If I state the reason for all of them, we'll be here all day. If I ask you to state me the ones you'd like me to explain, you'll go for the typical "kill apostates, kill homosexuals".

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, but that isn't a law, as such. That's just how the country is run.

Okay; but it still means that the country is run in a manner that is in contrast with Islamic ideals, and therefore not representative of Islam. It also gives rise to laws that have no basis in Islam (since the Royal family essentially have the authority to invent whichever laws they want).
I presume by Islamic culture you're talking about countries like Saudi Arabia whilst ignoring countries like Turkey and Indonesia where women are treated more equally?Islamic culture is a pretty silly term to use
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending