How is religion portrayed in 'A woman of no importance'? Watch

TomPotts
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
We have to choose controlled assessment questions, is this an alright one? I have to write 2,500 words give or take. Is this task difficult? Should I pick a question where it is easier to pick up on marks?
fallingdown
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To be honest, it really doesn't matter whether there is a lot of content on the subject in the book, and whether you're quoting enough in your essay. What matters is that the quotations you do choose have a lot on context and linguistic devices to be analysed. Choosing the theme of Women, or Relationships would be a lot easier for 'A Woman of No Importance', but religion also plays a large factor in 'Mrs' Arbuthnots actions, and religion was a large part of Victorian Society. I think its a whole lot more interesting than talking about what everybody else is already mentioning in their essays
Hope this helps and good luck on your coursework
grassntai
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One of the harder ones. I remember only 1 person picked this title in my class.
TomPotts
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So now it is How does Wilde present religious conflict in 'A Woman of No Importance'. Any advice on writing coursework?
emma-lauren
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TomPotts)
So now it is How does Wilde present religious conflict in 'A Woman of No Importance'. Any advice on writing coursework?
Some basic tips:

• The question and choice of texts are definitely important. The text you choose should be something you like, or at least find interesting enough to thoroughly analyse it.
  • Don't choose a really abstract question, just keep it simple as it will be easier to keep your essay focussed.
  • Be concise, if you can say the same thing in less words then do so. When editing be really aware of this.
  • Every point you make back it up, give evidence of your argument. You can use critics opinions to do this, quotes, etc.
  • In your introduction include your thesis statement and milestones which mark out what you will be discussing or arguing.
  • Conclusion; don't put any new information in this, simply summarise your points, reiterate your argument and don't use the generic "in conclusion" or similar phrases.
  • Plan thoroughly so you have a nice structure. Ending one paragraph with a point that can lead you onto the next text (which you'll discuss in the next paragraph) creates a nice flow.

I think your question has enough to write about and is interesting.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (543)
37.79%
No - but I will (112)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (98)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (684)
47.6%

Watched Threads