Would you date a transgender person? Poll Watch

Poll: Would you date a transgender person?
Yes (63)
27.04%
No (170)
72.96%
vickidc18
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Just a poll

Would you/could you date a transgender person?
Are you transphobic if you don't want to date a transgender person?
joker12345
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I personally wouldn't. I'd just feel uncomfortable and find it incredibly weird. I'm not a fan of any plastic surgery anyway, I prefer 'natural' people as it were. Plus, I'm not sure about the while concept of transgender - to an extent I feel it should be treated as a mental issue rather than via body modification (in the same way as we'd treat anyone who was unhappy with parts of their body with therapy rather than surgery).
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Theoretically, yes, but practically unlikely.
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
No and no.
username1467365
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No and no.
shadowdweller
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes and depends.
white boy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
na
askew116
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There needs to be more options in the poll. I voted No just so I could see the results, but for me, the answer is more complicated.

For instance, I'm a gay male, and would probably date a F-M transgender person, but probably not a M-F.

It wouldn't matter so much whether they'd had surgery, but they'd probably have to be taking hormone therapy.

Of course, as always, it also depends on the person. Do they 'woo' me, etc...
And then...
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No and no.
Jangrafess
Badges: 16
Report 4 years ago
Yep.
xlizx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes I would.
Azurefeline
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, I think so (although how would I know, without being in that situation?) It also depends on them as a person etc, not just what they are.

If you don't want to date a trans person I wouldn't say that's transphobic - how you treat them would though. If you talk **** about them and generally refuse to accept them on no grounds other than sexuality, you're transphobic.
=incognito=
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd be curious to know what proportion of people saying no have actually met a trans person, let alone spoken to them long enough to decide whether they'd date them.

My girlfriend identifies as straight and my transition has never been an issue. She's been on a fairly steep learning curve as far as LGBT stuff goes - but suffice to say that my status as female-to-male trans does have some upsides.
mackemforever
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by vickidc18)
Just a poll

Would you/could you date a transgender person?
Are you transphobic if you don't want to date a transgender person?
Would do.

Have done before.
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah I think I would.

Posted from TSR Mobile
joker12345
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by askew116)
There needs to be more options in the poll. I voted No just so I could see the results, but for me, the answer is more complicated.

For instance, I'm a gay male, and would probably date a F-M transgender person, but probably not a M-F.

It wouldn't matter so much whether they'd had surgery, but they'd probably have to be taking hormone therapy.

That's not even a point, I'd have thought it was assumed that you'd only date someone who wanted to be of the sex you were attracted to.
Mankytoes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I don't mean to have a go, but did you honestly interpret the question as "would you date every single transgender person" rather than "would you date any transgender person"?
askew116
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by joker12345)
That's not even a point, I'd have thought it was assumed that you'd only date someone who wanted to be of the sex you were attracted to.

(Original post by Mankytoes)
I don't mean to have a go, but did you honestly interpret the question as "would you date every single transgender person" rather than "would you date any transgender person"?
My point was that it's not just a yes or no answer
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My point was that it's not just a yes or no answer
Yes, it is.

"Would you date any transgendered person" is incredibly clear, and you would say yes, you would.

I would say no, I wouldn't.

Simple.
askew116
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Arkasia)
Yes, it is.

"Would you date any transgendered person" is incredibly clear, and you would say yes, you would.

I would say no, I wouldn't.

Simple.
Not being funny, I didn't realise that simply giving my opinion on a hypothetical question would be so controversial.

I'm really not in the mood to get into a row, so let's just end this, and agree to disagree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (273)
38.18%
No - but I will (51)
7.13%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (340)
47.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed