Turn on thread page Beta

Would you date a transgender person? Poll watch

• View Poll Results: Would you date a transgender person?
    Yes
    27.51%
    No
    72.49%

ReputationRep:
    Just a poll

Would you/could you date a transgender person?
    Are you transphobic if you don't want to date a transgender person?

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't. I'd just feel uncomfortable and find it incredibly weird. I'm not a fan of any plastic surgery anyway, I prefer 'natural' people as it were. Plus, I'm not sure about the while concept of transgender - to an extent I feel it should be treated as a mental issue rather than via body modification (in the same way as we'd treat anyone who was unhappy with parts of their body with therapy rather than surgery).

ReputationRep:
    Theoretically, yes, but practically unlikely.

No and no.

ReputationRep:
    No and no.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Yes and depends.

ReputationRep:
    na

ReputationRep:
    There needs to be more options in the poll. I voted No just so I could see the results, but for me, the answer is more complicated.

For instance, I'm a gay male, and would probably date a F-M transgender person, but probably not a M-F.

It wouldn't matter so much whether they'd had surgery, but they'd probably have to be taking hormone therapy.

Of course, as always, it also depends on the person. Do they 'woo' me, etc...

ReputationRep:
    No and no.

Yep.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think so (although how would I know, without being in that situation?) It also depends on them as a person etc, not just what they are.

If you don't want to date a trans person I wouldn't say that's transphobic - how you treat them would though. If you talk **** about them and generally refuse to accept them on no grounds other than sexuality, you're transphobic.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be curious to know what proportion of people saying no have actually met a trans person, let alone spoken to them long enough to decide whether they'd date them.

My girlfriend identifies as straight and my transition has never been an issue. She's been on a fairly steep learning curve as far as LGBT stuff goes - but suffice to say that my status as female-to-male trans does have some upsides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickidc18)
    Just a poll

Would you/could you date a transgender person?
    Are you transphobic if you don't want to date a transgender person?
    Would do.

Have done before.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think I would.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by askew116)
    There needs to be more options in the poll. I voted No just so I could see the results, but for me, the answer is more complicated.

For instance, I'm a gay male, and would probably date a F-M transgender person, but probably not a M-F.

It wouldn't matter so much whether they'd had surgery, but they'd probably have to be taking hormone therapy.

That's not even a point, I'd have thought it was assumed that you'd only date someone who wanted to be of the sex you were attracted to.

ReputationRep:

I don't mean to have a go, but did you honestly interpret the question as "would you date every single transgender person" rather than "would you date any transgender person"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joker12345)
    That's not even a point, I'd have thought it was assumed that you'd only date someone who wanted to be of the sex you were attracted to.

(Original post by Mankytoes)
    I don't mean to have a go, but did you honestly interpret the question as "would you date every single transgender person" rather than "would you date any transgender person"?
    My point was that it's not just a yes or no answer

ReputationRep:
    My point was that it's not just a yes or no answer
    Yes, it is.

"Would you date any transgendered person" is incredibly clear, and you would say yes, you would.

I would say no, I wouldn't.

Simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Yes, it is.

"Would you date any transgendered person" is incredibly clear, and you would say yes, you would.

I would say no, I wouldn't.

Simple.
    Not being funny, I didn't realise that simply giving my opinion on a hypothetical question would be so controversial.

I'm really not in the mood to get into a row, so let's just end this, and agree to disagree.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.