Pasta-and-Pizza
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi. I am currently studying AS History around two Months ago. We are learning about the Changing position of Women and the suffrage question, Britain 1860-1930.
I am enjoying it at the moment except I cannot structure the essays properly. The essays are mainly about comparing sources and I am currently struggling. I have got barely a C in my first Essay and I really want to improve to a B or an A if I am lucky enough. I have another essay to wrtie up and here is the question:

Study Sources 1,2 and 3. How far do sources suggest that Women's work as poor Law guardians challenged the philosophy of 'separate spheres'?

I have analysed the sources and I am not sure how to structure it. Can somebody help me? Thank you.
RagaZ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did a completely different era, and was on the AQA board for AS.

But from what i remember about source questions, and all questions in general, is that you need to categorise your answers.

ie.
Paragraph 1- Category 1 (Social, Political, economical, common opinion)
3-4 pieces of evidence from sources supporting your category
relate evidence back to question; how does it support our counter the questions/statement

Paragraph 2- Category 2
3-4 pieces of evidence
relate evidence back to question; how does it support our counter the questions/statement

then go on for about 2 more paragraphs generally.

of course you need an intro and conclusion. The intro, make sure you make it clear what your position is! dont spend too much time waffling, you should summarize your categories here.
Conclusion:- again general overview of evidence you've used, again re-iterate your position! short and snappy

anyway thats how i did it, and got an 92% in my source paper in total last year

PS. dont worry if you're getting generally low grades at the beginning of the year. You still have plenty of time to improve and with practice, you will find a good technique to suit you. I was getting Ds and Cs at the beginning too, but then gradually got better

good luck!
Pasta-and-Pizza
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by RagaZ)
I did a completely different era, and was on the AQA board for AS.

But from what i remember about source questions, and all questions in general, is that you need to categorise your answers.

ie.
Paragraph 1- Category 1 (Social, Political, economical, common opinion)
3-4 pieces of evidence from sources supporting your category

Paragraph 2- Category 2
3-4 pieces of evidence

then go on for about 2 more paragraphs generally.

of course you need an intro and conclusion. The intro, make sure you make it clear what your position is! dont spend too much time waffling, you should summarize your categories here.
Conclusion:- again general overview of evidence you've used, again re-iterate your position! short and snappy

anyway thats how i did it, and got an 92% in my source paper in total last year

PS. dont worry if you're getting generally low grades at the beginning of the year. You still have plenty of time to improve and with practice, you will find a good technique to suit you. I was getting Ds and Cs at the beginning too, but then gradually got better

good luck!

Thanks. I'm doing the Edexcel board for History. And I hope I can improve my work. This has been helpful, thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (928)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.37%

Watched Threads