Council spend £100,000 on statue promoting broken families Watch

#Ridwan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-L...ingham-Library

What an absolute abomination.

The government have absolutely no moral right to forcibly pillage our earnings and then squander them on a technically inept sculpture promoting hedonism and societal decline. A national embarrassment.

Birmingham has many societal problems and rather than seeking to solve them, the city council instead wants to celebrate and exacerbate them.

Most of our current societal problems stem from the breakdown of the traditional family unit and the promotion of hedonism as an acceptable lifestyle choice. Rather than stemming the tide, the confused radicals who pervade the state sector in this country are determined to ensure that hedonism is not frowned upon, but rather celebrated.

All marriage breakdowns and births from unmarried mothers can be attributed to the pursuit of hedonism among one or both parents. We, as a society, need to teach our youth that loyalty and respect for your family and friends is a far greater virtue than the pursuit of pleasure.

Pleasure and happiness are distinct, and single parent families are never a good idea if you want to ensure your child's happiness. This is not to suggest all single mothers are inadequate and bad parents, but they are symptomatic of our societal decline and should not be publicly celebrated by bleeding the wealth of our citizens.
llys
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well for once I agree with you 100%. What were they thinking? :facepalm2:
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by #Ridwan)

The government have absolutely no moral right to forcibly pillage our earnings and then squander them on a technically inept sculpture promoting hedonism and societal decline. A national embarrassment.
Where does it say that the council spent £100,000 on this statue? Most sites reporting this state that it was financied by a mixture of public money and private donations.

How does this statue promote hedonism and societal decline?

The family that the statue is based upon seem perfectly happy with their lives. How exactly are they in decline?

Birmingham has many societal problems and rather than seeking to solve them, the city council instead wants to celebrate and exacerbate them.

Most of our current societal problems stem from the breakdown of the traditional family unit and the promotion of hedonism as an acceptable lifestyle choice. Rather than stemming the tide, the confused radicals who pervade the state sector in this country are determined to ensure that hedonism is not frowned upon, but rather celebrated.
Problems such as....?

All marriage breakdowns and births from unmarried mothers can be attributed to the pursuit of hedonism among one or both parents. We, as a society, need to teach our youth that loyalty and respect for your family and friends is a far greater virtue than the pursuit of pleasure.
Why? Why are marriage breakdowns and births from unmarried mothers inherently wrong? If hedonism does indeed cause these two things then how does that make hedonism absolutely wrong?

Pleasure and happiness are distinct, and single parent families are never a good idea if you want to ensure your child's happiness. This is not to suggest all single mothers are inadequate and bad parents, but they are symptomatic of our societal decline and should not be publicly celebrated by bleeding the wealth of our citizens.
The children in the pictures of the family look very happy to me.
#Ridwan
Rep:
?
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Where does it say that the council spent £100,000 on this statue? Most sites reporting this state that it was financied by a mixture of public money and private donations.

How does this statue promote hedonism and societal decline?
By promoting single motherhood, which occurs as a result of one or both parents pursuing pleasure over responsibility. This drawbacks of hedonism are obvious - hedonism leads to selfishness and a decline in moral responsibility towards your loved ones.

Problems such as....?
You want a source that Birmingham has problems? How about you try visiting it?

What next, are you going to ask for a source that there's a war going on in Syria?

The family that the statue is based upon seem perfectly happy with their lives. How exactly are they in decline?
It goes without saying that most children with one parent looking after them do not live in permanent misery. That doesn't mean this isn't an undesirable form of parentage.

Why? Why are marriage breakdowns and births from unmarried mothers inherently wrong? If hedonism does indeed cause these two things then how does that make hedonism absolutely wrong?
Because the stable and loving family unit is the most effective way to bring up a responsible child. Deviating from this is not a guarantee of failure, but it creates enormous upheaval and instils the wrong values in children, teaching them that their own pleasure comes above all else. If everyone was an egocentric hedonist then societal ties would break down and overall happiness in our society would decrease. As they have been for several decades now.

The children in the pictures of the family look very happy to me.
You can easily find footage online of Hitler looking happy and smiling, doesn't mean that promoting his values and making a statue of him is a good idea.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Hyporbole, much? I'm also not sure that this is the best use of money (although I think your reaction and views on family are bizarre), I'd much rather money be spent on something like this than the billions the UK squanders on genuinely harmful projects like supporting disgraceful banking institutions or funding despicable wars.
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I thought it was a lesbian couple who had children from sperm donations.
#Ridwan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chlorophile)
Hyporbole, much? I'm also not sure that this is the best use of money (although I think your reaction and views on family are bizarre), I'd much rather money be spent on something like this than the billions the UK squanders on genuinely harmful projects like supporting disgraceful banking institutions or funding despicable wars.
Alternatively, we could just stop spending money on crap and end state-sanctioned theft? There's a thought.
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's so desperately right-on, it's like The Guardian, Channel 4 news and the BBC planted a hybrid fertilised egg into Harriet Harman and waited to see what grew.

It's trying to be a bit controversial, so it succeeded in that respect.

The real thing people should be complaining about is that it's a huge waste of ****ing money to make a deliberate PC statement. Indeed, it'd be a massive waste of money regardless of whether it showed two single mothers, two single fathers, a nuclear family, a gay couple or fifteen elephants. Might as well put up a statue of Jasper Carrott.
DErasmus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fantastic. Just what this country needs, another expensive eye-sore.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
By promoting single motherhood, which occurs as a result of one or both parents pursuing pleasure over responsibility. This drawbacks of hedonism are obvious - hedonism leads to selfishness and a decline in moral responsibility towards your loved ones.
Just because single motherhood could be caused by hedonism doesn't necessarily mean that a statue depicting single motherhood supports hedonism.

To me the statue simply shows a family of two single mothers and their children. That's it.

You're taking this way too seriously.

It goes without saying that most children with one parent looking after them do not live in permanent misery. That doesn't mean this isn't an undesirable form of parentage.
Because the stable and loving family unit is the most effective way to bring up a responsible child. Deviating from this is not a guarantee of failure, but it creates enormous upheaval and instils the wrong values in children, teaching them that their own pleasure comes above all else.[/QUOTE]

How?

Do you think single mothers sit with their children and say things like ''yeah that one night I ****ed a guy and we didn't use a condom it was so awesome dude like woah you should totally try it!!''.

If everyone was an egocentric hedonist then societal ties would break down and overall happiness in our society would decrease. As they have been for several decades now.
And if everyone was a doctor then nobody could build our roads, educate our children or harvest our crops! Therefore nobody should be a doctor.

There are more doctors than there were in the past. Since then overall happiness in our society as declined. Therefore more doctors = less happiness! It all makes sense now!

You can easily find footage online of Hitler looking happy and smiling, doesn't mean that promoting his values and making a statue of him is a good idea.
You've missed the point.

You outright stated that single parent families are never a good idea and that they do not ensure happiness for the child, yet you're ignoring the fact that the family which the statue is based upon are, evidently, happy.

If you have evidence that this family is not happy then please provide it.
nimrodstower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What is surprising about councils wasting money? Yesterday I saw refuse collectors emptying bins along the road, there were 3 in a little truck, 2 emptying and one driving, which is over staffing at it's best, the coup de grace' was when the guy fitted the bin back to it's anchor, it wobbled and was left half hanging off.

They should have sculpted a family of bin collectors, for all the good it will do for the aesthetic ambiance of my city, luckily I don't go into town often, that prize bull is enough to scare anyone away.
#Ridwan
Rep:
?
Just because single motherhood could be caused by hedonism doesn't necessarily mean that a statue depicting single motherhood supports hedonism.

To me the statue simply shows a family of two single mothers and their children. That's it.

You're taking this way too seriously.
This type of art is created for a reason and not just for art's sake. There is no reason why you would make a statue of two single mothers - including one who is pregnant - unless you wanted to promote that as a lifestyle choice.

And if everyone was a doctor then nobody could build our roads, educate our children or harvest our crops! Therefore nobody should be a doctor.

There are more doctors than there were in the past. Since then overall happiness in our society as declined. Therefore more doctors = less happiness! It all makes sense now!
The benefits that doctors provide to our society are obvious. The benefits that hedonists provide to our society are non-existent.

You've missed the point.

You outright stated that single parent families are never a good idea and that they do not ensure happiness for the child, yet you're ignoring the fact that the family which the statue is based upon are, evidently, happy.

If you have evidence that this family is not happy then please provide it.
This family are not as happy as they would be if the mother was married to the child's father.

They may think they are happy, but in reality they are confusing pleasure with happiness. People do it all the time.

Moreover, one "happy" single parent family doesn't indicate a general trend.
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, I thought it was disgusting. I have very little against single parents, who are most often made so through circumstances, but it certainly isn't something that should be encouraged.

Not to mention the deeper message: the complete erasure of the male from the business of bringing up children. Surely if there were two statues it should have been a male and a female single parent. It's like a totem to the way the family courts treat men these days.
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Skip_Snip)
God almighty, don't give them ideas...
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree. Single parent families are more likely to raise unhappy, poor, miserable, uneducated and unintelligent offspring. It's just a scientific fact that stems from our evolution. Two-parent families are more stable and and provide a better environment to grow up in, on average. For some reason this issue has been framed as a "liberal vs. conservative" thing. Well, you don't have to be conservative or traditionalist to recognise that there are good and bad ways of raising children.
addylad
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Skip_Snip)
That article hasn't been published yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
interact
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Spot on, these days you have to prove whether children have the right to a father or mother.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This type of art is created for a reason and not just for art's sake. There is no reason why you would make a statue of two single mothers - including one who is pregnant - unless you wanted to promote that as a lifestyle choice.
I can think of plenty of reasons as to why one would make a statue of two single mothers.

The artist who made the statue said the following:

''I really liked how Roma and Emma Jones spoke of their closeness as sisters and how they supported each other. It seemed a very strong bond, one of friendship and family, and the sculpture puts across that connectedness between them. A nuclear family is one reality but it is one of many and this work celebrates the idea that what constitutes a family should not be fixed.''

The statue promotes togetherness as a key family characteristics. It is saying that you don't necessarily need a man, woman and a child/children to form a family but rather a strong bond between any of the people involved.

The benefits that doctors provide to our society are obvious. The benefits that hedonists provide to our society are non-existent.
You're missing the point again. I'm (trying to) pointing out the logical fallacies in your arguement.

This family are not as happy as they would be if the mother was married to the child's father.

They may think they are happy, but in reality they are confusing pleasure with happiness. People do it all the time.
How do you know any of this?

Moreover, one "happy" single parent family doesn't indicate a general trend.
I know. I'm not saying that all single parent families are happy. I'm not even promoting single parent familie.

I'm just rejecting your comments that all single parent families are miserable and in ''decline''.
llys
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scrotgrot)
Yes, I thought it was disgusting. I have very little against single parents, who are most often made so through circumstances, but it certainly isn't something that should be encouraged.

Not to mention the deeper message: the complete erasure of the male from the business of bringing up children. Surely if there were two statues it should have been a male and a female single parent. It's like a totem to the way the family courts treat men these days.
Exactly. If they had wanted to say "men don't care about children and are superfluous anyway" they couldn't have found a better way to express it. I just can't fathom how a whole council could possibly have thought that this was a good idea. As a piece of art in a gallery, it would be fine, but as a council-comissioned statue in front of a public library, I just... :facepalm2:
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can think of plenty of reasons as to why one would make a statue of two single mothers.

The artist who made the statue said the following:

''I really liked how Roma and Emma Jones spoke of their closeness as sisters and how they supported each other. It seemed a very strong bond, one of friendship and family, and the sculpture puts across that connectedness between them. A nuclear family is one reality but it is one of many and this work celebrates the idea that what constitutes a family should not be fixed.''

The statue promotes togetherness as a key family characteristics. It is saying that you don't necessarily need a man, woman and a child/children to form a family but rather a strong bond between any of the people involved.
No, it's saying you don't need a man to form a family, nothing more nothing less. Women and children are included in the statue. It is simple sexism to have commissioned it.

I mean really, a couple of sisters supporting each other as they raise children alone, sure it's not easy, and I'm the first to praise quiet heroism in daily life, but it's hardly the Somme, is it?

What about a statue of a man, and if you like a woman, going out to work his third job to keep his family intact?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads