Learning ahead? Watch

metrize
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys,

Would you say it is worth learning ahead for the courses I'd like to do in the future? Currently, I am in Year 11 but I would really like to continue with Maths, I know pretty much everything needed for GCSE and I sm confident I can get an A*. Saying this, should I start learning the A Level variant of Maths since I want to do Further Maths at A Level?

Thank you.
elishx__h
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're saying you know pretty much everything needed for GCSE maths and you're confident, some topics in C1 pretty would help you stretch your understanding (like surds, rationalising denominators, using quadratics) etc and you could attempt some questions. So I'd say it's probably a good idea to take a look at C1 videos, but don't dwell too much time on it because you also have loads of other gcse subjects too and you might get distracted.
metrize
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by elishx__h)
If you're saying you know pretty much everything needed for GCSE maths and you're confident, some topics in C1 pretty would help you stretch your understanding (like surds, rationalising denominators, using quadratics) etc and you could attempt some questions. So I'd say it's probably a good idea to take a look at C1 videos, but don't dwell too much time on it because you also have loads of other gcse subjects too and you might get distracted.
Thank you, i suppose i'd do it when there is absolutely no other work.

Also, is there much difference between A kevels and GCSE, is tye workload increased dramatically?
Emily.97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by metrize)
Hey guys,

Would you say it is worth learning ahead for the courses I'd like to do in the future? Currently, I am in Year 11 but I would really like to continue with Maths, I know pretty much everything needed for GCSE and I sm confident I can get an A*. Saying this, should I start learning the A Level variant of Maths since I want to do Further Maths at A Level?

Thank you.
That's great!
I'd say wait until your exams are finished, or look at some a level stuff briefly- don't devote yourself to it yet. The best thing you can do now is go over everything on GCSE to really ensure you'll do well. Good luck
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sure! I self taught C1 and C2 before Year 12 and that gave me a healthy head-start in Year 12. Just make sure it doesn't jeopardise your chance of getting an A* at GCSE though.
elishx__h
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by metrize)
Thank you, i suppose i'd do it when there is absolutely no other work.

Also, is there much difference between A kevels and GCSE, is tye workload increased dramatically?
There is definitely a step up, but as long as you apply the right study techniques you'll be fine. Some subjects will be more demanding than others, for example with me Maths is probably my most time consuming at the moment because the best way of learning maths is doing loads of practice, which obviously takes time. I'm also making notes as I go along with every topic I do to save time towards exams. You seem to be bright, so I'm sure you'll be able to handle it if you just keep on top of all your work, understand it fully and don't fall behind at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (214)
39.19%
No - but I will (38)
6.96%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.59%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (258)
47.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed