Women are better looking than men

Watch
young_guns
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I had a conversation with a rather vapid girl a little while ago, and the conversation got onto the question of the attractiveness of men and women. Despite being straight, she said that she thought women were better looking than men, and that men had "weird" and "awkward" bodies that should be laughed at.

I thought it was a very strange comment for a heterosexual woman, and it seemed to be a mix of misandry, superficiality and inflated self-regard. It also seemed revoltingly ignorant of art history and culture (see below**). If she didn't think male bodies were attractive, what are men for? (you don't have to answer... cash dispenser, bag holder, etc)

While I think there is, of course, a degree to which it's all a matter of taste, I actually tend to think the opposite; I think at certain ages men are more naturally attractive than women. Particularly in their late teens and early 20s, your average guy has a far better body, better skin, nicer arse, and a more lusty, athletic and virile disposition, than a women of the same age. And a reasonable looking guy in his early 20s can walk out of the house without much prep, whereas a woman would often to apply a lot of makeup and do her hair to look good,.

What do you think, both of the general question of male vs female beauty? And what do you think of an attitude that perceives male bodies are weird, awkward and laughable?

**The ancient Greeks and Romans understood the charms of the male physique, this statue commissioned by Augustus to depict his dead heir Marcellus as the Greek god Hermes Logios, by Cleomenes the Athenian

Yeah dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by young_guns)
I had a conversation with a rather vapid girl a little while ago, and the conversation got onto the question of the attractiveness of men and women. Despite being straight, she said that she thought women were better looking than men, and that men had "weird" and "awkward" bodies that should be laughed at.

I thought it was a very strange comment for a heterosexual woman, and it seemed to be a mix of misandry, superficiality and inflated self-regard. It also seemed revoltingly ignorant of art history and culture (see below**)

While I think there is, of course, a degree to which it's all a matter of taste, I actually tend to think the opposite; I think at certain ages men are more naturally attractive than women. Particularly in their late teens and early 20s, your average guy has a far better body, better skin, nicer arse, and a more lusty, athletic and virile disposition, than a women of the same age. And a reasonable looking guy in his early 20s can walk out of the house without much prep, whereas a woman would often to apply a lot of makeup and do her hair to look good,.

What do you think, both of the general question of male vs female beauty? And what do you think of an attitude of a straight women who thinks male bodies are weird, awkward and laughable?

**The ancient Greeks and Romans understood the charms of the male physique, this statue commissioned by Augustus to depict his dead heir Marcellus as the Greek god Hermes Logios, by Cleomenes the Athenian

Both genders are extremely flawed physically and mentally, they're also equally flawed, so no gender is 'better' looking you could say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Harrie Lyons
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
U forgot to add no homo
(not sure if that would help any though tbf)
Gwilym101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not really sure how you can say that when the standards of appearance are different for both genders.

It's like saying gloves look better than shoes.
Yeah dude
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Gwilym101)
Not really sure how you can say that when the standards of appearance are different for both genders.

To be fair, everyone agrees that shoes are better looking than gloves any day of the month

Posted from TSR Mobile
young_guns
Rep:
?
(Original post by Harrie Lyons)
U forgot to add no homo
(not sure if that would help any though tbf)
I am homo, so saying no homo would be odd.

But I try to separate my attraction to guys from my opinion on this subject (I accept that's kind of difficult).
young_guns
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gwilym101)

I take your point, it really is a matter of taste, though having read quite a lot on ancient Roman sexualty, it seems bisexuality (though in the sense of attraction to women and boys, not women and men) was quite prevalent and a number of authors compare the pros and cons of women and boys.

I was equally interested in views on the opinion of a straight women saying she thought men's bodies were awkward and silly. It's actually not the first time I've heard a straight woman saying she thought women were more beautiful than men, and it just seems to odd and unhinged
Kaiju
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
apples are more attractive than broccoli
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In my experience, (I'm a straight male btw), the level of beauty seems to be the same in both men and women, regardless of age tbh.
Spetznaaz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lettuce not forget that almost all women wear fake-up to artificially increase their attractiveness whereas almost most men do not.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
attraction is entirely subjective, and the roughly even spread of gynophiles and androphiles in the world would suggest that men and women are almost perfectly identical in attractiveness.
llys
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When I was a teenager I thought men looked weird because they have the same legs as women. There are many cultural references to female legs as intrinsically sexy, in fact they have whole industries dedicated to them (tights, high heels, mini skirts), but male legs just don't have that association to that extent, even though they look exactly the same, so for a time I was really weirded out by men's "feminine" legs. Shapely legs were supposed to be a female thing. I grew out of it...
BefuddledPenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm bisexual, I'd say that women are more visually appealing, though their are many men who are very attractive, but often what makes them attractive are feminine features. Curves mostly. (Nice bums, for those who don't like the subtlety of 'curves')
yo radical one
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm a straight man, but I can tell if guy is good-looking or not.

Honestly, I'd say that generally women are better looking than men, most women look average (then you get some who are really stunning and others who are not so...), to me, most men actually look ugly. However men are better at controlling their emotions and focusing on things, it's like woman are human beings, but men are human doings.
Snagprophet
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Women are better looking than men
That's just, like, your opinion, man ...
young_guns
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snagprophet)
That's just, like, your opinion, man ...
I have the opposite opinion. The title of the thread was the opinion of a girl I met
-Rainbow Drops-
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Ooooh DAT a$$
young_guns
Rep:
?
(Original post by yo radical one)
I'm a straight man, but I can tell if guy is good-looking or not.

Honestly, I'd say that generally women are better looking than men, most women look average (then you get some who are really stunning and others who are not so...), to me, most men actually look ugly. However men are better at controlling their emotions and focusing on things, it's like woman are human beings, but men are human doings.
Interesting you should say that. The Ancient Greeks and Romans would have said the precise opposite; that only men are capable of true friendship, of rational thought, of platonic love, and that women were not really at that level.

I think what you expressed is a pretty retrograde view of men
BobbieShamrock
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

While I think there is, of course, a degree to which it's all a matter of taste, I actually tend to think the opposite; I think at certain ages men are more naturally attractive than women. Particularly in their late teens and early 20s, your average guy has a far better body, better skin, nicer arse, and a more lusty, athletic and virile disposition, than a women of the same age. And a reasonable looking guy in his early 20s can walk out of the house without much prep, whereas a woman would often to apply a lot of makeup and do her hair to look good
Totally down to preference imo... And the particular man/woman you're looking at.
The make up thing is just part of our culture, we're so used to seeing women wearing make up, that they look odd, even ugly, without it.
In the 18th century both men and women wore make up (the rich ones anyway), I bet the men would never have dreamed of leaving the house with a bare face.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yo radical one
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Interesting you should say that. The Ancient Greeks and Romans would have said the precise opposite; that only men are capable of true friendship, of rational thought, of platonic love, and that women were not really at that level.

I think what you expressed is a pretty retrograde view of men
I would not say quite what you wrote out there, but surely my views are similar to the Greeks and Romans...

Whilst occasionally you get men who are very attractive physically, usually what makes a man great are his actions, his thoughts, his discipline, his focus etc. It's funny, I was once reading about the prophet Muhammad, and in fact in one of the Hadith he was described as being physically unremarkable in pretty much every respect. Even to the Muslims, they see his actions as the key component to who is was.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.85%
I'm not sure (32)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.81%

Watched Threads