The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Opinions on southampton solent university - help!!!

##
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I want to apply here for fashion styling! is it really crap or?
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Well the reviews by Whatuni.com and stuff are good. From what I hear, it's good for courses like sport and fashion (vocational courses) but apparently it's 'useless' for a degree in law etc.

I think when it's compared to the more prestigious universities such as Cambridge and stuff it's seen that the degree will have more value to it from there but I think for the courses that we want to do, it's good.

It's not rated very high in the tables for universities but the sports course is apparently rated as 1st :confused:.

I've seen some comments that made me think twice but now I'm just really looking forward to going and seeing for myself. I'm going to the open day in December so maybe I'll post how it was :smile:
I really like the uni when I went the open day, I liked the fact the entry requirements were slightly lower as I finished my a levels 3 years ago and due to personal circumstance didn't do so well in my second year and now I've been given the opportunity to go to uni to study the degree I want to (business management) and already have my offer for it. It doesn't mean I won't work hard just means I get the opportunity to go to uni as I don't meet other unis requirements.

Also I've been to Southampton generally on other days and have really liked the city.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jesse-May
I really like the uni when I went the open day, I liked the fact the entry requirements were slightly lower as I finished my a levels 3 years ago and due to personal circumstance didn't do so well in my second year and now I've been given the opportunity to go to uni to study the degree I want to (business management) and already have my offer for it. It doesn't mean I won't work hard just means I get the opportunity to go to uni as I don't meet other unis requirements.

Also I've been to Southampton generally on other days and have really liked the city.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay! I'm glad you've found a place to study that you like, wish ya the best of luck with your degree and maybe sometime we'll bump into each other and not even know it! Aha
I'm glad I have too, it may not be the best or far up on league tables but it's where I want to go.

Good luck with your application, where else you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm glad I have too, it may not be the best or far up on league tables but it's where I want to go.

Good luck with your application, where else you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly same here, thank you. I've picked Buckinghamshire and Bournemouth but I've applied to 3 courses at Solent aha.
(edited 9 years ago)
Same here I've picked 3 at solent! and then applied to Manchester met and Durham as my other 2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same here I've picked 3 at solent! and then applied to Manchester met and Durham as my other 2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh cool! Did you pick 3 fashion courses at Solent or??
3 business courses. I applied for business and management hnd, business management with foundation year and international business management with foundation year. They've given me 3 offers but for direct entry onto the course rather than foundation year entry.

Good luck with your application. Are you planning on making solent your firm or insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
3 business courses. I applied for business and management hnd, business management with foundation year and international business management with foundation year. They've given me 3 offers but for direct entry onto the course rather than foundation year entry.

Good luck with your application. Are you planning on making solent your firm or insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good! Yeah, I'm applying to do the sandwich course I've heard good and bad things about doing that but I figured having experience for when we leave can never be a bad thing right? I mean, unless I don't find a placement LOL. It's my firm choice :smile:.
Original post by SocialSmocial94
Sounds good! Yeah, I'm applying to do the sandwich course I've heard good and bad things about doing that but I figured having experience for when we leave can never be a bad thing right? I mean, unless I don't find a placement LOL. It's my firm choice :smile:.

I personally think placement is a good idea as it gives you that necessary experience that employers are looking for. I would've applied for placement year if I wasn't applying to foundation year but I really want to do the placement year :frown:
I'm making solent my firm choice too :smile: maybe I'll see you round at some point next year :smile: you planning on staying in halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Indeedy I am :smile: I'll keep an eye out for ya :wink:. Will you be staying in the halls?
Yer I'm hoping too, although I'm 21 and will be 22 when I go so will be with people younger than me :frown: but I'll definitely apply to halls as my first option as wouldn't have a clue on where to live in Southampton :smile:

Have you looked at any of the accommodation? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me too! I'm going to be 21 when I start so we'll both be in the same boat :smile: I've looked at the prices of the accommodation in Southampton and I just hope that I win the lottery by then LOL :biggrin:. I'm going to the open day on Dec 6th, what did you think of it when you came to the open day??
Me too! I'm going to be 21 when I start so we'll both be in the same boat :smile: I've looked at the prices of the accommodation in Southampton and I just hope that I win the lottery by then LOL :biggrin:. I'm going to the open day on Dec 6th, what did you think of it when you came to the open day??

Wow! So good to hear someone else that is in the same boat, makes me feel a little less nervous about it :smile:

And yer I did, I went and looked around LFW, was quite basic a smallish room with bed, wardrobe, desk, shelf and sink. I didn't get a chance to look at any other accommodation but wished I did as I'm considering applying for ensuite. Got to look round the kitchen and bathroom facilities but didn't get to see any of the common rooms that they were on about. But seemed quite nice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
##
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm glad to hear that, add me on Facebook if you want; Chris Cachia :smile: I was thinking about that as well but I figured (hoped lol) they'll be others our age and older as well :smile: looking forward to all the student events as well freshers is gonna be awesome! Aha.

I really want an ensuite as well been saving up :smile: I think it's like an extra grand a year at Solent when I checked?? Still that's worth not having to leave my room every time that I want to go to the toilet lol.

What I liked as well is there's loads of restaurants', clubs', bars', cinemas' and parks' and stuff which is cool. I've heard Southampton can be a little on the rough side in some areas but coming from Croydon, I can't see anything wrong with it lol. Looks like a nice place to be fair (when I look on the net aha), just a heep excited to go now! :biggrin:

Yer I think it was roughly a grand in it but it's definitely worth it, as I don't like the idea of sharing a bathroom :smile:

Definitely liked the idea about all the places around the uni itself, loads of places to go. I've heard it can be a little rough but when I was there on both the times I've been it just seemed really nice, both times I've been there have been football matches on so was quite busy as well. I'll be coming from Crawley near Gatwick so I'm used to living not far from alcoholics, drug users (there is drug dealers in my street), and all the rif raf so it doesn't bother me. You get good and bad no matter where you go there's always going to be a part of an area that is known to be rough.

I'm definitely excited, don't think my employers are as they want me to stay and have even offered me promotion and chances to move up within the surgery so that I stay with the nhs which I love working for but I also want to go out and to take that chance to go to uni while I can. :smile: I have the countdown on my phone til my course starts 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yer I think it was roughly a grand in it but it's definitely worth it, as I don't like the idea of sharing a bathroom :smile:

Definitely liked the idea about all the places around the uni itself, loads of places to go. I've heard it can be a little rough but when I was there on both the times I've been it just seemed really nice, both times I've been there have been football matches on so was quite busy as well. I'll be coming from Crawley near Gatwick so I'm used to living not far from alcoholics, drug users (there is drug dealers in my street), and all the rif raf so it doesn't bother me. You get good and bad no matter where you go there's always going to be a part of an area that is known to be rough.

I'm definitely excited, don't think my employers are as they want me to stay and have even offered me promotion and chances to move up within the surgery so that I stay with the nhs which I love working for but I also want to go out and to take that chance to go to uni while I can. :smile: I have the countdown on my phone til my course starts 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah no area is going to be perfect :smile:. It deffo seems better than my area though aha. Exactly, if I don't go to uni now it will just be harder to go later plus I really wanna go anyway :smile:

I'm a fitness instructor and I love my job but I want to up my game and hopefully go into physiotherapy with the NHS which is why I want to go uni as well. I've thought about management but I think I'm more attracted to rehabilitation. What do you do for the NHS if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
That's pretty cool, it's always good to aim for something more. I work in a doctors surgery, I'm currently a receptionist, administrator and a secretary all roled into one. I've been wanting to go to uni for the past 3 years and haven't so I really want to go next September without fail. I'm quite happy for them to train me up but I don't plan on staying long term.

I used to spend a lot of time down in Portsmouth and Southampton way when I was really young and it sort of feels like home to me so I know it's where I definitely want to be even if it isn't in the top unis :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending