The Student Room Group

Are these A levels ok even though I've no clue what degree to pursue?

So my 3 college options are:
1).The Latymer School Sixth From
2) London Academy of Excellence
3) Monoux

And my as subjects look like:
1)Mathematics
2)Biology
3)French
4)History (I didn't do GCSE though!)

However if latymer reject me lae don't offer french!!! And I wanna do french! So some questions....

1) are these colleges good?
2) are my subject choices good?
3) am I at a disadvantage for not doing history GCSE?
4) what degree could i pursue with maths and biology?

Thanks so much!!! :wink:
1. I've not heard much of the first two, and the little I have of the third has mediocre or not great.
2. Yes
3. Not really, except you may do units which classmates may have touched upon in their History GCSE, but it only means it would be best you do extra reading.
4. Sorry, couldn't say.
With Maths and Biology, you can do most biology-based degrees at decent universities, as it means you have two sciences.
yes, you have subject breadth. A good mix of science, maths and humanities, even a language. So your options will be very open for when you are deciding on what degree to take.
1. Latymer is good, though I know nothing about the other two and so cannot really compare them.
2. Whether your subject choices are good depends on what you want to study. It is worth looking at this list from Trinity college's website (whether you intend to apply there or not) to get a sense of what top universities are looking for for arts/sciences. Generally, your subjects are good for arts but you will have trouble applying for sciences without Chemistry.
3. Probably not, but I don't really know. If school's are allowing you to do it then you should be fine.
4. See number 2.
Original post by irfan_blue

1)Mathematics
2)Biology
3)French

Londoners are lucky im from the yorkshire region so yea the colleges arent all as good... anyhow if you are doing biology and history it wouldnt really make as much sense as they wont help you towards the same career. personally i do bio and health and social care(a levels) and these subjects go really well together as they serve the same career paths :smile: Good Luck with your final choices
Reply 6
[QUOTE="lorealblab;51370159"]
Original post by irfan_blue

1)Mathematics
2)Biology
3)French

Londoners are lucky im from the yorkshire region so yea the colleges arent all as good... anyhow if you are doing biology and history it wouldnt really make as much sense as they wont help you towards the same career. personally i do bio and health and social care(a levels) and these subjects go really well together as they serve the same career paths :smile: Good Luck with your final choices

Oooh thanks everyone for the useful advice. And the problem is I'm not so so good in chemistry even though I got an A in my core science. I got the exact same mark in biology but I enjoy biology much more. And even maths I'm not sure about I don't like it heavily but I done my GCSE in year 10 and got A. I'm doing additional maths now so maths a level I have to choose and apparently it's an easy A?

So do you think I would have to swap biology for chemistry so it can open more science paths? I wanna open two different paths - it May be history/french degree or maths/biology degree - but biology isn't as useful as chemistry as there's not many degrees to pursue!!! Would I have to swap then??
[QUOTE="irfan_blue;51370457"]
Original post by lorealblab

So do you think I would have to swap biology for chemistry so it can open more science paths? I wanna open two different paths - it May be history/french degree or maths/biology degree - but biology isn't as useful as chemistry as there's not many degrees to pursue!!! Would I have to swap then??

essentially biology would be a good option especially as you are a pro at maths, as biology initially contains a lot of maths (from experience). chemistry would include alot more scientific-calculator/term based calculations. whatever you do just make sure you research in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest