Working for McDonald's vs JDWetherspoons. Watch

FantasyLand
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've been working for JDWetherspoons (kitchen) as a part time job while studying for half a year, and I dislike it more and more each day. Been hearing good things about McDonald's and wondering is it worth switching.

Has anybody worked for both parties and could share their experience?
Stacks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FantasyLand)
I've been working for JDWetherspoons (kitchen) as a part time job while studying for half a year, and I dislike it more and more each day. Been hearing good things about McDonald's and wondering is it worth switching.

Has anybody worked for both parties and could share their experience?
Hi, I currently work for McDonald's and used to (for a very brief period since I disliked it that much) worked for Wetherspoons.

I can't really comment much on how good it is to work for JDW but McDonald's is really good to work for if you're a student. The hours are flexible and you can normally work as many or as few hours as you want or need. Most managers will understand that as a student you have commitments outside of work.
Plus you're working alongside a lot of staff who are of a similar age and also studying. There's a great team ethos at McDonald's.

Unless the store you apply to is 24 hours then you would never have to deal with getting out of the place at 3am (though I feel like it was just us bar staff who would finish at 3 haha). Obviously if you did apply to a 24 hour store then you'd only have to work overnight if you were willing to.

From my time at JDW a lot of what they do and aim to be is similar to McDonald's in some sense. However I always felt it was lacking, whilst I feel McDonald's leads by example (pretty sure we're almost famous for our clean toilets hah) JDW always felt like they were playing catch up.

I hope that gives you a bit of insight, though I feel like I've been rambling on. Basically I hated working for JDW.
I had friends from McDonald's go to work for them and they all hated it too - fairly sure no other McDonald's folk will be getting employed by that pub any time soon.
If you're unhappy at JDW then definitely give McDonald's a shot, I doubt you'd regret it.
FantasyLand
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Stacks)
Hi, I currently work for McDonald's and used to (for a very brief period since I disliked it that much) worked for Wetherspoons.

I can't really comment much on how good it is to work for JDW but McDonald's is really good to work for if you're a student. The hours are flexible and you can normally work as many or as few hours as you want or need. Most managers will understand that as a student you have commitments outside of work.
Plus you're working alongside a lot of staff who are of a similar age and also studying. There's a great team ethos at McDonald's.

Unless the store you apply to is 24 hours then you would never have to deal with getting out of the place at 3am (though I feel like it was just us bar staff who would finish at 3 haha). Obviously if you did apply to a 24 hour store then you'd only have to work overnight if you were willing to.

From my time at JDW a lot of what they do and aim to be is similar to McDonald's in some sense. However I always felt it was lacking, whilst I feel McDonald's leads by example (pretty sure we're almost famous for our clean toilets hah) JDW always felt like they were playing catch up.

I hope that gives you a bit of insight, though I feel like I've been rambling on. Basically I hated working for JDW.
I had friends from McDonald's go to work for them and they all hated it too - fairly sure no other McDonald's folk will be getting employed by that pub any time soon.
If you're unhappy at JDW then definitely give McDonald's a shot, I doubt you'd regret it.
Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (501)
37.84%
No - but I will (101)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (90)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (632)
47.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed