Lupita Nyong’o grew up hearing that ‘darker skin is not beautiful Watch

JACKIEKENNEDY
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://pagesix.com/2014/11/03/lupita...not-beautiful/

Growing up in Kenya, Lupita Nyong’o got the message from the media that “dark skin is unacceptable.”
“European standards of beauty are something that plague the entire world, the idea that darker skin is not beautiful, that light skin is the key to success and love. Africa is no exception,” the Oscar winner says in Glamour’s December issue. “When I was in the second grade, one of my teachers said, ‘Where are you going to find a husband? How are you going to find someone darker than you?’ I was mortified.”
Lupita Nyong’oPhoto: Tom Munro/Glamour

“I remember seeing a commercial where a woman goes for an interview and doesn’t get the job. Then she puts a cream on her face to lighten her skin, and she gets the job! This is the message: that dark skin is unacceptable,” added Nyong’o, who this year became the face of beauty brand Lancome.
The “12 Years a Slave” breakout star says her family never shared that opinion, but, still, it was difficult to tune out the negativity.
“I definitely wasn’t hearing this from my immediate family — my mother never said anything to that effect — but the voices from the television are usually much louder than the voices of your parents,” said the 31-year-old, who has become a style icon since hitting the red carpet promoting her role in the 2013 film.
Going on to describe her family, Nyong’o says, “I come from a loving, supportive family, and my mother taught me that there are more valuable ways to achieve beauty than just through your external features. She was focused on compassion and respect, and those are the things that ended up translating to me as beauty. Beautiful people have many advantages, but so do friendly people … I think beauty is an expression of love.”
In April, Nyong’o, who’s slated for a role the upcoming movie “Star Wars: Episode VII,” was named People magazine’s Most Beautiful person.

Well my girl Ghanaian friend is darker than akon(and has the same nose as him) and she never had problems with her complexion. She thought she was the baddest b*tch in the planet.
cakey123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
interesting, but I agree with what Lupita is saying. Someone of a darker complexion may come across more issues with self-esteem and acceptance. I only wish that the world was able to accept that darker complexions do not make someone ugly or undesirable. p.s I really admire Lupita's strength and courage. plus she gorgeous oxoxox
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So someone from a black country watches media from a white country and wonders why most/almost all our models are white?

Moron. That's like saying European complexions are not attractive in China.
Graceful_Lawyer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JACKIEKENNEDY)
http://pagesix.com/2014/11/03/lupita...not-beautiful/

Growing up in Kenya, Lupita Nyong’o got the message from the media that “dark skin is unacceptable.”
“European standards of beauty are something that plague the entire world, the idea that darker skin is not beautiful, that light skin is the key to success and love. Africa is no exception,” the Oscar winner says in Glamour’s December issue. “When I was in the second grade, one of my teachers said, ‘Where are you going to find a husband? How are you going to find someone darker than you?’ I was mortified.”
Lupita Nyong’oPhoto: Tom Munro/Glamour

“I remember seeing a commercial where a woman goes for an interview and doesn’t get the job. Then she puts a cream on her face to lighten her skin, and she gets the job! This is the message: that dark skin is unacceptable,” added Nyong’o, who this year became the face of beauty brand Lancome.
The “12 Years a Slave” breakout star says her family never shared that opinion, but, still, it was difficult to tune out the negativity.
“I definitely wasn’t hearing this from my immediate family — my mother never said anything to that effect — but the voices from the television are usually much louder than the voices of your parents,” said the 31-year-old, who has become a style icon since hitting the red carpet promoting her role in the 2013 film.
Going on to describe her family, Nyong’o says, “I come from a loving, supportive family, and my mother taught me that there are more valuable ways to achieve beauty than just through your external features. She was focused on compassion and respect, and those are the things that ended up translating to me as beauty. Beautiful people have many advantages, but so do friendly people … I think beauty is an expression of love.”
In April, Nyong’o, who’s slated for a role the upcoming movie “Star Wars: Episode VII,” was named People magazine’s Most Beautiful person.

Well my girl Ghanaian friend is darker than akon(and has the same nose as him) and she never had problems with her complexion. She thought she was the baddest b*tch in the planet.
This is quite sad. Asian culture also has such views and I disagree. I've seen so many dark beautiful girls. In fact, standing next to a fair skinned girl, it doesn't look them ugly at all. They are attractive and beautiful. Plus, skin colour isn't something human chose, God gave it to us. We should respect each other. True beauty is not about how you look but how you are as a person. Having said that, I just want to add I've seen some very beautiful African girls and also dark attractive Asian girls too.
Another
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Snagprophet)
So someone from a black country watches media from a white country and wonders why most/almost all our models are white?

Moron. That's like saying European complexions are not attractive in China.
The irony is, European complexions are certainly attractive in China. And pretty much everywhere else in the world.

She isn't saying anything about white people, or models, or America. She is saying that her home country thinks there's a problem with dark skin.
Marco1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lupita Nyong'o herself is proof alone that the statement, "darker skin is not beautiful" is false. She is utterly breathtaking in my opinion - Africa at her finest, so naturally beautiful, dignified and elegant. I like the way she doesn't go in for all that cosmetic fakery. She is a fantastic role model. The world can be a cruel place full of negativity and barbed criticisms but she made it.

Alas, I don't think she'll be joining me for a cup of tea in the near future!! One lives in hope. :rolleyes:
SophiaLDN
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
European standards of beauty really does plague the world.

She's so flawless. Love her & her complexion :daydreaming:
P357
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you on a mission to become TSR's resident NAACP spokesman or something?
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If we are going to say that beauty is subjective, we cannot then say that black people are beautiful. The logic does not follow.
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SophiaLDN)
European standards of beauty really does plague the world.

She's so flawless. Love her & her complexion :daydreaming:
Not just European, at all. Japanese, Chinese, Arab, South East Asian and Native American cultures all historically showed preference for lighter skin within their own ethnicities, long before they came into contact with Europeans. As a matter of historical record, white women were by far the most expensive on the Ottoman slave markets for instance, and this was hardly the Europeans influence was it? Maybe these disparate groups did/do so for exactly the same evolutionary reasons as Europeans? A pale Japanese women does not look remotely European in any case for instance, it's just a paler Oriental.

Why does everybody assume Europeans are always behind such things anyway?
childofthesun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So true. I live in an African country,and european standards of beauty are definitely wide spread here. So much money made off skin lightening products etc.There's this attitude that lighter skin is more desirable and beautiful. Quite sad

Lupita is beautiful
Marco1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by itsRochana)
So true. I live in an African country,and european standards of beauty are definitely wide spread here. So much money made off skin lightening products etc.There's this attitude that lighter skin is more desirable and beautiful. Quite sad

Lupita is beautiful
Yes, It is sad. To make one's skin lighter is to deny one's natural beauty. Dark skin is beautiful. All skin colours are beautiful in their own right.
Marco1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At the risk of sounding really cheesy, I think it is that which animates the body, not the body itself, which generates the real beauty.
Uncle Ruckus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah Europeans are to blame for cultures like Japanese and Koreans who prefer light skin. Light skin has been preferred in many cultures, stop blaming whitey for everything like blacks always do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (145)
38.26%
No - but I will (21)
5.54%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (185)
48.81%

Watched Threads