Phobias Watch

Aalalba
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Any tips on how I can write the answer to the question:- "Some psychologists argue that phobias are learned just like other behaviour. Evaluate what psychologists have discovered about phobias and include a discussion of the behaviourist explanation of phobias". It's a 12 mark answer so I'm not 100% sure about what to put in the answer.
Davalla
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aalalba)
Any tips on how I can write the answer to the question:- "Some psychologists argue that phobias are learned just like other behaviour. Evaluate what psychologists have discovered about phobias and include a discussion of the behaviourist explanation of phobias". It's a 12 mark answer so I'm not 100% sure about what to put in the answer.
The behavioural approach suggests that phobias can be learned by conditioning as an alternative to biological development and cognition processes.

An example of phobias via Operant Conditioning (reinforcement):
Being anxious around phobic stimuli, such as heights or spiders, and avoiding them. This prevents the person from being anxious, thus acting as negative reinforcement, so will continue to stay away from the phobic stimuli in the future.

An example of phobias via Classical Conditioning (associations):
Little Albert - Watson and Rayner 1920. A child forcibly associated loud noise to a white rat. Overtime he associated white fluffy animals to loud noises, thus being scared upon seeing them, thus avoiding them.

The approach is justified by behavioural therapy, such as Systematic Desensitization, which have a clear effect in treating phobias, but has no consideration for genetics or thought processes.

This should provide a good foundation to start with. Begin by discussing what the approach says, then imply research, and then evaluate the research and approach in general.
saratheawesome
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi! Some psychologists argue that phobias are indeed learnt due to factors such as role models e.g. Parents. If you see your mother being constantly afraid of spiders you may identify the spider as being dangerous. This then after a while conditions you to also be afraid of spiders due to vicarious reinforcement. The loser above used a good example. Don't forget to use psychology terminology such as role model, identification, vicarious reinforcement. Hope that helped!
saratheawesome
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm so sorry I meant user above! Sorry, typo!
Davalla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by saratheawesome)
Hi! Some psychologists argue that phobias are indeed learnt due to factors such as role models e.g. Parents. If you see your mother being constantly afraid of spiders you may identify the spider as being dangerous.
Be careful with the wording here though, as you don't want to mistake the behavioural approach with the social learning theory.

Thanks for calling me a loser, by the way!
saratheawesome
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ah yeah sorry your answer was tonnes better! And I'm so so sorry!! It was an accident! I think your great really!
Davalla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ah yeah sorry your answer was tonnes better! And I'm so so sorry!! It was an accident! I think your great really!
Much appreciated! And I am certain that you are equally as great, if not greater.
saratheawesome
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Davalla)
Much appreciated! And I am certain that you are equally as great, if not greater.
Aw shucks you're too kind are you studying psychology at university? You seem to have a real passion for it
Davalla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
are you studying psychology at university? You seem to have a real passion for it
Not currently, the passion is just a natural occurrence.
Aalalba
Rep:
?
(Original post by Davalla)
The behavioural approach suggests that phobias can be learned by conditioning as an alternative to biological development and cognition processes.

An example of phobias via Operant Conditioning (reinforcement):
Being anxious around phobic stimuli, such as heights or spiders, and avoiding them. This prevents the person from being anxious, thus acting as negative reinforcement, so will continue to stay away from the phobic stimuli in the future.

An example of phobias via Classical Conditioning (associations):
Little Albert - Watson and Rayner 1920. A child forcibly associated loud noise to a white rat. Overtime he associated white fluffy animals to loud noises, thus being scared upon seeing them, thus avoiding them.

The approach is justified by behavioural therapy, such as Systematic Desensitization, which have a clear effect in treating phobias, but has no consideration for genetics or thought processes.

This should provide a good foundation to start with. Begin by discussing what the approach says, then imply research, and then evaluate the research and approach in general.
Hi, Thank you so much Sorry I took long to reply haha, but thank you again
Aalalba
Rep:
?
Hi! Some psychologists argue that phobias are indeed learnt due to factors such as role models e.g. Parents. If you see your mother being constantly afraid of spiders you may identify the spider as being dangerous. This then after a while conditions you to also be afraid of spiders due to vicarious reinforcement. The loser above used a good example. Don't forget to use psychology terminology such as role model, identification, vicarious reinforcement. Hope that helped!
Yea it helped. Thanks so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (72)
7.74%
I used to but I don't now (26)
2.8%