Failing my driving test for the 2nd time has made my anxiety worse. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I failed my driving test for the second time today and feel like an idiot. Especially because I knew it was my mistake. I can drive perfectly fine with my instructor but when it comes to actual testing I just **** it up completely on something so basic like a stop sign.

I hate failing at anything. I genuinely HATE it because it makes me feel stupid and inadequate. Like Im not smart enough.

I graduated with really good grades at school and I'm planning to study medicine, and I can't have all these little setbacks in life. This may sound really irrational but if I can't do a basic practical test (like driving) how am I going to be able to practice something that requires a lot of practical maneuvers (like surgery)?

The lifestyle I'm planning to enter requires me to not only be booksmart (which is easy for me), but also apply practical knowledge. I cannot afford to make silly mistakes else I might kill someone. I have to be more confident at practical things.

Does failing a driving test twice mean I'm not adequate enough on a practical level? Is there a way I can overcome my lack of practical skills?

On a final note, I know this sounds ridiculous. I'm just really panicked about the competency of my skills. Plus I feel like an idiot and I'm really considering using the bus for the rest of my life.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you live in an area where you do not need the convenience of having your own car, then you do not need to do any more driving tests.

(I'd say that hardly any "skills" you learn in driving are transferable to a medicine course)
asdfghjkl1234567
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know so many people who failed their driving test first or second time - in fact the majority, so you're not the only one I'm pretty similar to you - I suffer from anxiety and I'm used to doing fairly well at school, so to find out I struggled to drive made me feel terrible!

Don't connect driving with a career in medicine - yes, they both involve practical tests, but the skills are completely different Aside from taxi drivers, I've never heard anyone being turned down a career because they failed their driving test! I know that's not the point, but don't connect the two, it'll just add unnecessary pressure to pass.

Do you know the test routes for your area? I know you've said you're fine driving usually but you could maybe try driving round the roads where you'd take a test and getting completely comfortable with them (if you haven't already). As far as I know you can get them from your instructor or off the internet. Even if you know the roads, driving them again and again might make you a little less anxious during your next test.

I'd really recommend you carry on driving - unless it's wasting too much money or you really don't want to carry on, it'll be worth it in the end
Anonymous #1
(Original post by asdfghjkl1234567)
I know so many people who failed their driving test first or second time - in fact the majority, so you're not the only one I'm pretty similar to you - I suffer from anxiety and I'm used to doing fairly well at school, so to find out I struggled to drive made me feel terrible!

Don't connect driving with a career in medicine - yes, they both involve practical tests, but the skills are completely different Aside from taxi drivers, I've never heard anyone being turned down a career because they failed their driving test! I know that's not the point, but don't connect the two, it'll just add unnecessary pressure to pass.

Do you know the test routes for your area? I know you've said you're fine driving usually but you could maybe try driving round the roads where you'd take a test and getting completely comfortable with them (if you haven't already). As far as I know you can get them from your instructor or off the internet. Even if you know the roads, driving them again and again might make you a little less anxious during your next test.

I'd really recommend you carry on driving - unless it's wasting too much money or you really don't want to carry on, it'll be worth it in the end
I'm just really bummed out about it. I don't look forward to my next test at all. I feel like I'm just wasting money on myself.
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No one ever got anywhere in life by giving up the first time they failed at something. Life is full of set-backs, you have to keep getting up and fighting. Take your next lesson - you start again with a clean slate. Focus and persistence is the key - you'll get there, but telling yourself you'll never achieve it is not going to help you. Failing has given you more experience - you've experienced the 'worst possible scenario', once you've experienced that then you know there is nothing to fear because you've faced failure and survived - it didn't kill you did it! So book your next lesson and be determined, you'll do it.
abbi.97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hey i can totally relate, failed for the second time during half term with only 3 minors and then the examinor gave me a serious for not slowing down for a man working at the side of the road when i was already going 10mph under the limit, i genuinely thought id passed which pissed me off even more. i feel like all my friends think im a **** driver for failing but both times the examiners both said my driving if excellent, its just super irritating and i feel like ill never pass
Anonymous #1
So I did it the third time and failed again...

Honestly fml. It's a waste of my time trying again.
Thatgingerkid
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know the feeling, I failed 3 tests and I have my fourth today which I'm super stressed about. I always seem to make stupid little mistakes like not checking my mirror thoroughly enough. The worst part is, the more I fail, the worse my anxiety surrounding driving gets. I just hope I pass today, I honestly hate my parents paying so much for the lessons and tests.
notapop
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, you sound exactly like me!

I failed (far more!) than three times due to panicking, as soon as I knew I failed I drove the rest of the test perfectly.
I made the mistake of carrying on immediately booking test after test, although I really needed to be able to drive as public transport where I live is practically non-existant.

If you don't need to pass urgently try taking some time off (even if it's just a few weeks) and then go back to it, you will pass eventually! You can also ask for your instructor to be in the car with you for tests (they will sit in the back), or maybe ask your instructor if you can bring a friend/family member along to your driving lessons to 'get used' to being watched??

Don't give up, you will get there!
Thatgingerkid
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by notapop)
Hey, you sound exactly like me!

I failed (far more!) than three times due to panicking, as soon as I knew I failed I drove the rest of the test perfectly.
I made the mistake of carrying on immediately booking test after test, although I really needed to be able to drive as public transport where I live is practically non-existant.

If you don't need to pass urgently try taking some time off (even if it's just a few weeks) and then go back to it, you will pass eventually! You can also ask for your instructor to be in the car with you for tests (they will sit in the back), or maybe ask your instructor if you can bring a friend/family member along to your driving lessons to 'get used' to being watched??

Don't give up, you will get there!
Thanks.
I've been taking breaks in between them, roughly a month at a time, and I drive fine normally, it's just on tests I seem to make massive mistakes. Today will be the first one with my driving instructor in the car, so I'm praying that will help
Thatgingerkid
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just thought I'd let you know I finally passed, although my driving instructor was shocked to see how bad my anxiety makes my driving, and I nearly set the tires on fire at one point. There's therefore hope for everyone
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I failed my first test for going too slow on a dual carriage way! I was so upset but the pass rates are low so wasnt to disheartened. I did my second test today at half 1 this afternoon and failed.. again on a spiral roundabout that I never came across before. I got 2 minors and 1 major for this and I've been upset all day because now I have to book in again and pay more money for another test! Its something no one understands until they have been through it themselves!! I'm hoping I pass 3rd time lucky!
frostyjacks4life
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The pass rate for the driving test is under 50% so you aren't alone! Each time you take a test you should also get a little less nervous- it's essentially immersion therapy in that way. In regards to the medicine my cousin had written off 3 cars by the age of 25 and had a license suspension and is now fully qualified and hopes to finish his surgery rotation in 2 weeks with flying colours- so I can assure you the two have no link. I would now not sit in a car with him driving but would trust him to remove my appendix just sayin...

Posted from TSR Mobile
GriffStar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Trust me imagine failing the theory twice in a row. First, because I failed to find where it was. Second, because I'm stupid. I'm waiting til summer now to try and save up some brain cells.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.51%
No - but I will (19)
5.67%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.46%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (162)
48.36%

Watched Threads