The Student Room Group

I don't like this thing. Let's ban it!

Scroll to see replies

fireworks.
dogs.
pigeons.
Original post by Jono404
Sorry what? That's a pretty big jump from chatting up women isn't it? And none of the girls on the show had a problem with it, or else they wouldn't have signed the release papers to appear on tele. Until you find me actual evidence of him teaching someone to have sex with someone without their consent what you say is pure *******s.

Sick of feminism trying to expand the boundaries of rape and sexual harassment to these extents, it cheapens the meaning of the term.

Also, Jo Brand has on several occasions joked about killing men and domestic abuse, will you be getting on your soapbox for that as well? Didn't think so.

Yes, the keyword being JOKED.

Dapper laughs is not a comedy, its a rapist's handbook.
Original post by cole-slaw

And where is the line between a joke and not? And who made you the judge of that?

‘What’s your favourite kind of man, Jo?’ ‘A dead one.’

"The way to a man's heart is through his hanky pocket with a breadknife"

If Dapper would have said these things they suddenly wouldn't have been a joke to you, because you have double standards.
Original post by Jono404
And where is the line between a joke and not? And who made you the judge of that?

‘What’s your favourite kind of man, Jo?’ ‘A dead one.’

"The way to a man's heart is through his hanky pocket with a breadknife"

If Dapper would have said these things they suddenly wouldn't have been a joke to you, because you have double standards.

Oh what an absolute load of nonsense that argument is. My personal opinion has nothing to do with it. A comedy show is a comedy show, a dating advice show is a dating advice show, and everyone else in the world appears to be able to tell the difference apart from you.
Oh what an absolute load of nonsense that argument is. My personal opinion has nothing to do with it. A comedy show is a comedy show, a dating advice show is a dating advice show, and everyone else in the world appears to be able to tell the difference apart from you.

You dodged the bit where I asked you to show me where he gives instructions on raping someone then.

I'm going to let you in on a secret, and it's something billions of men have done throughout history, including many on this forum and many that you know. Women do it to:

I have, on occasion, spoken to a girl with the desire of eventually sleeping with her. Does this make me a rapist, under your bizarre definition?

As for Dapper Laughs being the most offensive thing you've seen....really? Julian Leblanc who is mentioned in this thread is much, much worse.
Original post by Jono404
You dodged the bit where I asked you to show me where he gives instructions on raping someone then.

I'm going to let you in on a secret, and it's something billions of men have done throughout history, including many on this forum and many that you know. Women do it to:

I have, on occasion, spoken to a girl with the desire of eventually sleeping with her. Does this make me a rapist, under your bizarre definition?

As for Dapper Laughs being the most offensive thing you've seen....really? Julian Leblanc who is mentioned in this thread is much, much worse.

As far as I am aware he doesn't have a show on itv. They're all the same, these misogynists.

here's his advice on how to impress girls: "Just show her your penis; if she cries, she’s just playing hard to get".

Do you think that is acceptable advice to give to young men? Yes or No?
As far as I am aware he doesn't have a show on itv. They're all the same, these misogynists.

here's his advice on how to impress girls: "Just show her your penis; if she cries, she’s just playing hard to get".

Who is actually going to think that is serious advice? As many people who thought the Jo Brand bit about the knife was. And as for ITV 'legitimising his views' or 'giving him a platform' when has ITV ever put out anything that's made you think 'yeah, that's good advice'?. It's like the arguments about violence and video games, anyone doing those sorts of things is already very sick in the head. I mean ****, women had it far worse before Dapper and TV itself came out.

Rape, unfortunately, happens. It isn't a product of culture, and no amount of 'teach men not to rape!!1' will help this. It is sick, sexually deviant people, and the response should be tough sentences. Blaming a 'rape culture' shifts the blame from the perpetrator and alleviates them of responsibility

"Culture made me do it". - *******s.
I don't like Viva Emptiness, let's ban her! :colone:

I agree, the key word is joked.

So if Dapper Laughs was comedy, would you feel differently?
Original post by chazwomaq
I agree, the key word is joked.

So if Dapper Laughs was comedy, would you feel differently?

If it was obviously meant as a spoof aimed at a modern feminist audience to poke fun at TOWIE style sexist idiots, then yes of course. But that is quite clearly not how it is seen by its core audience. Far from being a figure of ridicule, dapper laughs is seen as some kind of "legend" by young men, an ideal to aspire to in attempting to replicate his imagined prowess with women.
Original post by ForgetMe
I don't like Viva Emptiness, let's ban her! :colone:

Ain't nobody taking me down.
Ban ban ban!
Why can't it be handled democratically? Just open a public poll asking if you think he should be banned. After that no one has any right to complain either way.
Original post by Viva Emptiness

Modcp > ban :biggrin:

Of course it isn't but the point is he isn't saying it as genuine advice, he's saying it to get a laugh, and I think you know that. And I'm not even a fan of this guy, at all.
Original post by Dr Pesto
Of course it isn't but the point is he isn't saying it as genuine advice, he's saying it to get a laugh, and I think you know that. And I'm not even a fan of this guy, at all.

Whether or not he is intending it as genuine advice, it certainly comes across like that and that is how a lot of people are taking it.
Ban people from giving other people dirty looks (It's so rude and annoying!) x
Original post by Viva Emptiness

Really? :hubba:
There are legitimate grounds for the banning of fireworks for social use.
Original post by Dr Pesto

Exactly this, context is important. If that was being taught in sex ed classes at school I'd rightly have a problem with it. Irrespective of whether you find him funny, he is a comedian and his show is marketed as such.

I've just read Katherine Ryan had a joke about ripping a bloke's cock off that was broadcast on Live at The Apollo. But that's not about rape so I guess it's ok.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending