I've totally lost my focus and concentration.... Watch

immynjoesmum
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I'm in the last year of my degree, it's a Joint Honours, History and Sociology. I have two children aged 6 and 8 and suffer from anxiety and have found studying up to now very stressful but have achieved good grades averaging mid to late 60s so far.

I'm not sure what is wrong with me at the moment but I am really struggling to concentrate, I have 6 weeks before my deadline...3 essays to write, 3 presentations to present, and also should in theory have half my dissertation done by then. All I have done so far is write the introduction to one of my essays and that doesn't even make sense. I am struggling so much to find my focus. Has anybody got any advice/tips? I'm sat here in tears thinking I'm going to fall at the last hurdle and all my hard work in the past two years will have gone to waste.

Thanks
snitching kermit
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
About a week ago I was gazing at my reflection in a lake and it looked sad. "How can I find her," I thought, skimming a stone, "when I can't even find myself?"

:moon:
immynjoesmum
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
erm.....:confused:
mazzletazzle
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi... writing and rewriting the introduction is your subconscious' way of diverting your focus from tackling the problem. NEVER write an introduction first.... how do you know WHAT you are introducing!!! Write a rough sketch and then plan and write the main body.

Set yourself a realistic target e.g.

- Day 1: write essay overview in plan form - simple sentences, not paragraphs
- Day 2: Research / add outline detail to each section using 1/2 core texts only
- Day 3: Add another 1/2 references to different sections
- Day 4: Attempt to write (one paragraph and one key point at a time)

Etc...

Remove other distractions such as phone, block internet for fixed periods using http://focusme.co/and http://getcoldturkey.com/

Don't beat yourself up... nothing happens in half-term with kids...

Remember, everything you do is progress... no matter how stressful it feels.

Good luck.
mazzletazzle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
PS Green tea and Jaffa cakes (not caffeine) work for me! Set yourself episodes of 30m with a 5m break for tea. This will help focus you.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also, it might be worth talking to your uni's counselling service. It's a bit of a left-field approach, but sometimes talking things through with a third party can be very helpful. You won't be the only parent student in this sort of situation.

They will also be able to identify whether you have reasonable grounds to ask for extensions on some of your deadlines, which might give you the breathing space you need.
GangBang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by snitching kermit)
About a week ago I was gazing at my reflection in a lake and it looked sad. "How can I find her," I thought, skimming a stone, "when I can't even find myself?"

:moon:
Thats just stupid and not needed, ****in idiot.
mazzletazzle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GangBang)
Thats just stupid and not needed, ****in idiot.
agree wholeheartedly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (427)
37.75%
No - but I will (87)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (76)
6.72%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (541)
47.83%

Watched Threads