How should one respond to racist remarks? Watch

phaedron
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
A person in my class cracked a joke involving blackface costumes. Even when the people around him squirmed in their seats he went on. I was behind him and wanted to exert considerable force on every pressure point in his body.

Then there are the ocassions when people use words like chink and ****** in an "ironicaly racist" way. For example young women who elongate their eyes and imitate chinamen or who pretend to be gangsta and throw around the word *****.

What should you do if you are the offended party in that case. As a black/Pakistani/Chinese/Inuit/Martian guy in a group what would the right response to obvious racial slurs like the above be?

Do you take it personally?
FreshGarbage
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by phaedron)
A person in my class cracked a joke involving blackface costumes. Even when the people around him squirmed in their seats he went on. I was behind him and wanted to exert considerable force on every pressure point in his body.

Then there are the ocassions when people use words like chink and ****** in an "ironicaly racist" way. For example young women who elongate their eyes and imitate chinamen or who pretend to be gangsta and throw around the word *****.

What should you do if you are the offended party in that case. As a black/Pakistani/Chinese/Inuit/Martian guy in a group what would the right response to obvious racial slurs like the above be?

Do you take it personally?
I'm Chinese, people are racist all the time but because I'm not easily offended and always laugh it off its just a joke. We take the piss outta loads of stuff :L after all this i made some of the best mates I have simply because they realised I had a sense of humour. I dunno I'm not very sensitive so I can't help! Sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (467)
38.06%
No - but I will (95)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.09%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (578)
47.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed