Periode Watch

Roqia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi All!

How can you tell by looking only at the amount of electrons in each shell of an atom, to which period it belongs to?

Thanks!
jacksonmeg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Roqia)
Hi All!How can you tell by looking only at the amount of electrons in each shell of an atom, to which period it belongs to?Thanks!
If there are only electrons in the first shell it is period 1,hydrogen and helium only have electrons in the first shell and are the only period 1 elements. Period 2, Lil, Be, B, C, N, F, Ne only have electrons in the first and second shell do you get what I mean?
Roqia
Rep:
?
(Original post by jacksonmeg)
If there are only electrons in the first shell it is period 1,hydrogen and helium only have electrons in the first shell and are the only period 1 elements. Period 2, Lil, Be, B, C, N, F, Ne only have electrons in the first and second shell do you get what I mean?
I Got it!! Thanks a lot
Kallisto
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Roqia)
Hi All!

How can you tell by looking only at the amount of electrons in each shell of an atom, to which period it belongs to?

Thanks!
Hope that I have understand your question right.

The electron shells are in the horizontal direction of the in the periodic table. From above to below it begins with the first electron shell K and ends up with the last one, Q. So you can see how many electron shells an element has. But to determine how many electrons an element has on every single electron shell, some periodic table has numbers right above. These numbers show up how many electrons an electron shell has. From above to below it also begins with the first shell.

Say you want to find out how many electrons beryllium has. So you are looking for the box in periodic table. You will find two numbers right above. Above the right side you see the number 2 and below this number, there is the number 2 again. These numbers tell you: "Beryllium has 2 electrons on the K shell and two on the L one".

Let's see whether I find a periodic table like that to give you a visualisation.
Roqia
Rep:
?
Can anyone help me solving this one plesae ?
Attached files
charco
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Roqia)
Can anyone help me solving this one plesae ?
It's a new topic so you would be better off starting a new thread ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (279)
38.01%
No - but I will (53)
7.22%
No - I don't want to (53)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (349)
47.55%

Watched Threads