A Level French Help Watch

VentLife
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

Does anyone have any ways of revising points for the essay questions in the AS AQA French exam?

I obtained a D is this exam because I only managed 11/35 in the essay :confused:but I managed an A in the oral, so I'm carrying it on to A2.

Obviously I'm re-taking the exam, so does anyone have any advice for preparing for it? I hope I'm not the only one who finds the topics dry and impossible to write about
Paralove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They're boring, but you have to research it to get loads of points - even if you don't believe in what you're writing, you should be able to make lots of points with examples. You need to make your language more complicated and accurate too to pick up all the grammar-based marks. How many practice essays had you done prior to this? When I was doing my AS (at uni now but did AQA too), we had an essay pretty much every week for the whole year.
VentLife
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paralove)
They're boring, but you have to research it to get loads of points - even if you don't believe in what you're writing, you should be able to make lots of points with examples. You need to make your language more complicated and accurate too to pick up all the grammar-based marks. How many practice essays had you done prior to this? When I was doing my AS (at uni now but did AQA too), we had an essay pretty much every week for the whole year.
We did quite a few essays as homework, but they weren't timed and I had access to resources, so I feel like this is probably what let me down the most. I'm confused as to how many points need to be made in the essay overall to get top marks for content.

Okay, thank you. I shall probably write out a load of complicated opinion structures using the subjunctive and negatives then to apply to all the questions.

I find it really unfair how, if you don't have great content, you can't get top marks for grammar etc.
Paralove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by VentLife)
We did quite a few essays as homework, but they weren't timed and I had access to resources, so I feel like this is probably what let me down the most. I'm confused as to how many points need to be made in the essay overall to get top marks for content.

Okay, thank you. I shall probably write out a load of complicated opinion structures using the subjunctive and negatives then to apply to all the questions.

I find it really unfair how, if you don't have great content, you can't get top marks for grammar etc.
But if you don't have great content then you really cannot fit in the best amount of grammar - poor content means simple ideas and sentences, not having a lot to say.
VentLife
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paralove)
But if you don't have great content then you really cannot fit in the best amount of grammar - poor content means simple ideas and sentences, not having a lot to say.
I suppose you are right. We are always told that 'simplicity is key' when it comes to French. I suppose that I took that to the extreme in the exam, I also only left 20 minutes for the essay, which is an issue in itself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (362)
37.47%
No - but I will (74)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (67)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (463)
47.93%

Watched Threads