Shadez
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey
I am resitting chemistry in my gap year and I thought hey I might as well go for the A* since I have a whole year and have already done the course. I got a B the first time round. Any tips and tricks to getting an A* in chemistry. If you could also post links to good revision resources that would be awesome, my exam board is ocr by the way
monaaa19
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Shadez)
Hey
I am resitting chemistry in my gap year and I thought hey I might as well go for the A* since I have a whole year and have already done the course. I got a B the first time round. Any tips and tricks to getting an A* in chemistry. If you could also post links to good revision resources that would be awesome, my exam board is ocr by the way

Hi there, I'm resitting chemistry too, got a C, few UMS off a B. I'm doing Edexcel, & like yourself, aiming to get as much as I can out of this gap yr & so will be resitting units 1,2,3 &4, & not the 2 practicals from AS & A2. For revision I'll be going over the content myself, but I don't think I'll be using Edexcel past papers this time since I used them last year & so don't want my memory to come in handy when answering questions. I'll be using OCR & AQA. This website gives good links to any material, http://www.brightknowledge.org/knowl...revision-guide

I used chemguide,docbrown & revision notes, not so much s-cool. How's revision going? I need to get really motivated, independent learning can be tricky in terms of not having other students around you to compete with. By that I mean competition in a good way, seeing people revise & do the work only makes you want to go above & beyond. Soo yeah that's it really, good luck in revision. Hopefully we can help each other out if we have any queries!
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

I did A-levels last year, my exam board was Edexcel, in my Jan mocks for my AS exam I got an E. But I used this site which helped me move it to an A overall.

The site is www.chemguide.co.uk It helped me "understand" the concepts rather than just memorise that formulae like our teacher told us ._. There is also a calculations book that they provide (should be under £20 from Amazon, it's full of questions and well worth it!)

So after you learn things, use the book +really old past papers from www.xtremepapers.com to facilitate your learning. (I only used this xtremepapers website for A2)

Also, the book is amazing for the acid/base equilibria section.

Good luck~
Shadez
Rep:
?
hey
Thanks for your replies. Yeah it can be quite hard finding the motivation to study but when i see people on this site ( I do know its not a fair representation of the student population) i cant help but feel if i put the work in, I too can achieve those stellar grades.
I also am not sitting the two practicals as well ( thank god I can never accurately state the color change regardless of how many hints my teacher gives before the practical). thanks for the revision sources ill make sure to use them. I'm not too sure with Edexcel syllabus but hopefully I can help out too.
Btw what do you want to study/applied for at university?
monaaa19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hey
Thanks for your replies. Yeah it can be quite hard finding the motivation to study but when i see people on this site ( I do know its not a fair representation of the student population) i cant help but feel if i put the work in, I too can achieve those stellar grades.
I also am not sitting the two practicals as well ( thank god I can never accurately state the color change regardless of how many hints my teacher gives before the practical). thanks for the revision sources ill make sure to use them. I'm not too sure with Edexcel syllabus but hopefully I can help out too.
Btw what do you want to study/applied for at university?
Hahaha same here, I remember my chem teacher saying that answering 'red' as a flame colour would get 0 marks because the correct answer is 'crimson'. Edexcel are really picky but not so bad after all. & I'm hoping to get into clinical science to transfer to med after 1st yr, provided I work my butt off to ace it since they only select around 20 students for interviews. How about you? Also are you doing any other subjects? I've got Biology & Maths as well. Maths isn't a problem, but all the memorisation for biology is challenging
Shadez
Rep:
?
Challenging would be an understatement for the memorization involved in biology. especially for my exam board WJEC and they seemed to have an unhealthy obsession with plants. Anyways I did the same a-levels as you but thankfully I am happy with my grades in maths and biology so im not resitting them. I want to study chemical engineering and so having not done physics I thought id pick up Further Maths AS possibly A2 depending on far I can go on my own with it.

Have you talked to your college about resitting? I haven't and I've never talked to my senior tutor for more than like a minute since i was pretty much looking to do a gap year since AS. So i'm kinda unsure how to go about it
monaaa19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Challenging would be an understatement for the memorization involved in biology. especially for my exam board WJEC and they seemed to have an unhealthy obsession with plants. Anyways I did the same a-levels as you but thankfully I am happy with my grades in maths and biology so im not resitting them. I want to study chemical engineering and so having not done physics I thought id pick up Further Maths AS possibly A2 depending on far I can go on my own with it.

Have you talked to your college about resitting? I haven't and I've never talked to my senior tutor for more than like a minute since i was pretty much looking to do a gap year since AS. So i'm kinda unsure how to go about it
Oooh yes, further maths will help you a great deal. My cousin took a gap yr after his A levels in Bio,chem & maths, & also did further maths AS at home (didn't go to lessons). He came out with an A in further maths AS as well as A's in the others. He's now doing Petroleum Engineering at University of Manchester & says that further maths helped him a great deal. Other students struggle with it, but he doesn't, & so he uses this advantage to revise physics (he chose physics but then dropped it in AS). So it'll help you a great deal. My college don't allow external students to resit, so what I did is go on the Edexcel website & they have an option to locate certified exam centres near you when you enter your postcode. Luckily the sixth form I found also does OCR- since I'm doing OCR Bio + Edexcel Maths & Chem. This is what I found on the OCR website for external candidates who want to retake exams:

"UK centres (e.g. schools and colleges) that are approved to enter their own candidates for OCR
examinations may also accept entries from private candidates.
If you are looking to enter for any of the 14–19 qualifications listed in Section 1, or if you are
interested in taking any of OCR’s vocational qualifications (including Cambridge Technicals,
Functional Skills and Cambridge Progression), the Customer Contact Centre can provide you with
a list of OCR centres in your region that may accept private candidates. However, there is no
guarantee that the centres listed can assist with requests for the particular subjects you wish to
take.
The Head of Centre (e.g. headteacher or principal) decides whether or not the centre will accept
requests from private candidates, so you should contact centres directly to establish whether they
are willing to host you. We recommend that you allow yourself plenty of time to start contacting
centres well in advance of when your entry needs to be made (see Section 6).
We also suggest that you contact your local authority for further advice on finding centres that may
be able to help you. You can search for your local authority’s contact details at: https://www.gov.uk/find-your-local-council "

I hope you'll find a sixth form/college who take external students. I don't seem to see why they shouldn't allow external students, since we pay a registration fee, as well as £25 per each paper (that applies to me, the price might differ for you because of where you live/ exam board etc). Also I think you might have a good chance of being successful at AS & A2 further maths since you've already done A level maths & are only retaking chemistry. It would be best to ask someone who has done both AS & A2 further maths for details etc, if it's a bit too much I'd say stick with AS F. Maths & retake chem, to guarantee good grades x
Davelittle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I managed to get an A* in chemistry, it is by far the hardest A* as A2 chem has so many different elements to it (pun intended).

If you make notes on every page of your text book, understand the content and hammer the past papers you will be fine.
Shadez
Rep:
?
(Original post by Davelittle)
I managed to get an A* in chemistry, it is by far the hardest A* as A2 chem has so many different elements to it (pun intended).

If you make notes on every page of your text book, understand the content and hammer the past papers you will be fine.
:laugh:

It certainly does have many elements to it and I suppose that's what I found tricky about it the first time, but hopefully having already learnt the spec I'll do a lot better this time.
I really will try and do what you said thanks for the tips
Davelittle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
:laugh:

It certainly does have many elements to it and I suppose that's what I found tricky about it the first time, but hopefully having already learnt the spec I'll do a lot better this time.
I really will try and do what you said thanks for the tips
No worries, any questions just PM me
Shadez
Rep:
?
(Original post by monaaa19)
Oooh yes, further maths will help you a great deal. My cousin took a gap yr after his A levels in Bio,chem & maths, & also did further maths AS at home (didn't go to lessons). He came out with an A in further maths AS as well as A's in the others. He's now doing Petroleum Engineering at University of Manchester & says that further maths helped him a great deal. Other students struggle with it, but he doesn't, & so he uses this advantage to revise physics (he chose physics but then dropped it in AS). So it'll help you a great deal. My college don't allow external students to resit, so what I did is go on the Edexcel website & they have an option to locate certified exam centres near you when you enter your postcode. Luckily the sixth form I found also does OCR- since I'm doing OCR Bio + Edexcel Maths & Chem. This is what I found on the OCR website for external candidates who want to retake exams:

"UK centres (e.g. schools and colleges) that are approved to enter their own candidates for OCR
examinations may also accept entries from private candidates.
If you are looking to enter for any of the 14–19 qualifications listed in Section 1, or if you are
interested in taking any of OCR’s vocational qualifications (including Cambridge Technicals,
Functional Skills and Cambridge Progression), the Customer Contact Centre can provide you with
a list of OCR centres in your region that may accept private candidates. However, there is no
guarantee that the centres listed can assist with requests for the particular subjects you wish to
take.
The Head of Centre (e.g. headteacher or principal) decides whether or not the centre will accept
requests from private candidates, so you should contact centres directly to establish whether they
are willing to host you. We recommend that you allow yourself plenty of time to start contacting
centres well in advance of when your entry needs to be made (see Section 6).
We also suggest that you contact your local authority for further advice on finding centres that may
be able to help you. You can search for your local authority’s contact details at: https://www.gov.uk/find-your-local-council "

I hope you'll find a sixth form/college who take external students. I don't seem to see why they shouldn't allow external students, since we pay a registration fee, as well as £25 per each paper (that applies to me, the price might differ for you because of where you live/ exam board etc). Also I think you might have a good chance of being successful at AS & A2 further maths since you've already done A level maths & are only retaking chemistry. It would be best to ask someone who has done both AS & A2 further maths for details etc, if it's a bit too much I'd say stick with AS F. Maths & retake chem, to guarantee good grades x
Sweet thanks that's some really useful information and good luck with doing the resits, hopefully it will be worth it once you get that A/A* grade
Btw do you mind asking your cousin what modules he chose i'm currently doing M1 M2 FP1
serendipity-
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My sister got an A* in Chemistry. She used the website a-level chemistry a-lot. Only OCR and AQA recourses are available here, I'm afraid. But, I'm sure the content among all the exam broads are similar.
Shadez
Rep:
?
(Original post by serendipity-)
My sister got an A* in Chemistry. She used the website a-level chemistry a-lot. Only OCR and AQA recourses are available here, I'm afraid. But, I'm sure the content among all the exam broads are similar.
awesome this site seems extremely useful I'll try to use it. thanks
somalia99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Davelittle)
No worries, any questions just PM me
Hey i came across your name on the Chem eng 2014 applicants thread and you did the same exam board for chem (ocr b salters). How did you revise for f334 and f335 (so like revision technique) and how did you deal with the synoptic content?

many thanks in advance!!!
Anwarstudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys.
Im at the moment doing AS OCR Chemistry A. And we have an evaluative task in two days time. The title of the task is 'measuring the volume of a gas- group two carbonates' ((not too sure about the title LOL)) anyways its something like that.
Can some one pleas help me out with the type of questions that would come and how to tackle them.
HELP GUYS‼️‼️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heffalump .
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anwarstudent)
Hey guys.
Im at the moment doing AS OCR Chemistry A. And we have an evaluative task in two days time. The title of the task is 'measuring the volume of a gas- group two carbonates' ((not too sure about the title LOL)) anyways its something like that.
Can some one pleas help me out with the type of questions that would come and how to tackle them.
HELP GUYS‼️‼️

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have that today so nervous
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (221)
60.88%
No (76)
20.94%
Not sure (66)
18.18%

Watched Threads