such a nervous driver!! Watch

ellaaaaa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I passed my test end of September, didn't get a car until a week into October so I would say I've been driving for about a month now and I have no confidence in it whatsoever, when I first started driving I was obviously nervous, I would get upset over every little mistake and every person on the road that decided to have a go at me (yes I had P plates on! Seemed to make me a target more than anything) and I feel like I got better, but today I was pulling out of a road but there was a car parked on the corner so I couldn't see a thing, I was only a little bit over the junction, literally creeping out and a van came down the road, stopped in front of me and started shouting at me that I was going to kill somebody and I shouldn't be on the road etc etc, I apologised and said I couldn't see and he apologised also and said he could tell I was a bit nervous and had I just passed, but then on the way home I started making other silly little mistakes like hitting a curb.. There was a good foot in between our vehicles so I think he overreacted a bit, but its completely knocked my confidence again and I'm too scared to go back out in my car! Seems as soon as I start to feel a bit more confident I end up going back to stage one

Has anybody else had this?? I dont know how to get better, I don't know how to handle other drivers on the road when they get mad etc and its ruining everything
Balloon Baboon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ellaaaaa)
I passed my test end of September, didn't get a car until a week into October so I would say I've been driving for about a month now and I have no confidence in it whatsoever, when I first started driving I was obviously nervous, I would get upset over every little mistake and every person on the road that decided to have a go at me (yes I had P plates on! Seemed to make me a target more than anything) and I feel like I got better, but today I was pulling out of a road but there was a car parked on the corner so I couldn't see a thing, I was only a little bit over the junction, literally creeping out and a van came down the road, stopped in front of me and started shouting at me that I was going to kill somebody and I shouldn't be on the road etc etc, I apologised and said I couldn't see and he apologised also and said he could tell I was a bit nervous and had I just passed, but then on the way home I started making other silly little mistakes like hitting a curb.. There was a good foot in between our vehicles so I think he overreacted a bit, but its completely knocked my confidence again and I'm too scared to go back out in my car! Seems as soon as I start to feel a bit more confident I end up going back to stage one

Has anybody else had this?? I dont know how to get better, I don't know how to handle other drivers on the road when they get mad etc and its ruining everything
Keep driving and gaining experience. Try, try and try again.
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't worry, just after I passed I went through the drive-thru at McDonalds for the first time, and had to park in one of their bays to wait for my order. I didn't angle it correctly and completely scraped the car in the adjacent bay - really slowly and painfully like.

The man was also sitting in his car waiting for his order.
Balloon Baboon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
I believe a Happy Meal was in order.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's just experience I think. When I first passed at the start of August I'd go out for a drive around the local area every day, as I know the area well and by the time I moved away to university I was a fairly confident driver.

I've never been nervous while driving, except for a week or so ago when I tried to drive somewhere in Wales and my car struggled up a hill, ending up at about 10mph by the time it levelled out, all in heavy rain and with a lot of cars behind me.
ellaaaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
Don't worry, just after I passed I went through the drive-thru at McDonalds for the first time, and had to park in one of their bays to wait for my order. I didn't angle it correctly and completely scraped the car in the adjacent bay - really slowly and painfully like.

Oh no!!! God that's horrible! Hope everything turned out okay and he understood!
snowman77
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ellaaaaa)

#firstworldproblems

Did you buy the car yourself or did your parents buy it?

Keep practising to drive and you will be fine.
ellaaaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by snowman77)
#firstworldproblems

Did you buy the car yourself or did your parents buy it?

Keep practising to drive and you will be fine.

I brought it myself, not sure why that's of any relevance though..
Not everybody finds it as easy, I worked my bum off just to pass now I'm still freaking out over actually driving, I don't seem to get on with it at all!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (524)
37.59%
No - but I will (109)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (665)
47.7%

Watched Threads