The Student Room Group

Modules in medicine

I am currently studying a chemistry degree (first year) but contemplating on transferring to medicine. Which would be regarded as a more appropriate degree for graduate medicine. In Addition, so you learn the structures Of organic molecules (lipid, proteins) and are required to learn the cell structure Know depth. Much appreciated
Original post by Emma1212
I am currently studying a chemistry degree (first year) but contemplating on transferring to medicine. Which would be regarded as a more appropriate degree for graduate medicine. In Addition, so you learn the structures Of organic molecules (lipid, proteins) and are required to learn the cell structure Know depth. Much appreciated

I don't understand the point of your thread. What are you asking?

Graduate entry medicine is not a transfer. You would need to finish your current degree then apply for GEM via UCAS.

You can get into lots of GEPs with a chemistry degree but having a life sciences degree will widen your options. As for the modules you do in your degree, that doesn't make any difference at all when it comes to getting into GEM.
Reply 3
Whilst a medicine course would prepare you very well for a graduate entry medicine course, I don't think it's necessary. In fact most all GEM courses reject you if you've enrolled on a previous medicine course, excepting exceptional circumstances.

I'm hoping your post was a typo and you meant Biomedicine? Life sciences are helpful but it is still very possible to gain entry to graduate medical schools without a life science degree.
Reply 4
Sorry I meant transferring to chemical engineering. chemistry and chemical engineering and very similar courses in the first year at my university, so transferring is possible.
This is a sort of backup plan Incase I never make it into medicine.

I was asking about the modules you'd study in medicine as I take biology chemistry as part of coutse and don't particularly enjoy learning about carbohydrates and lipids and so on, cell structure. I was wondering whether when Studying medicine you'd be required to learn this.

Much appreciated
Sorry I meant transferring to chemical engineering. chemistry and chemical engineering and very similar courses in the first year at my university, so transferring is possible.
This is a sort of backup plan Incase I never make it into medicine.

I was asking about the modules you'd study in medicine as I take biology chemistry as part of coutse and don't particularly enjoy learning about carbohydrates and lipids and so on, cell structure. I was wondering whether when Studying medicine you'd be required to learn this.

Much appreciated

Yeah you have to do biochemistry and physiology at medical school and part of that will involve learning about cell structure and function.

But that's only for the first two years at med school...the more important question is whether or not you're interested in being a doctor for the rest of your working life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending