international and diabetic Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,
I have an extended visa to study language (full-time) that is will end at the end of July until I go back my country and reapply for the university visa. I am a diabetic person by the way, so I almost finish my medicine and I am afraid that going back to my country to have insulin shots is not an option for me. I thought about going to a gp and registry or applying for the NHS, but I don't know if I am eligible for it.

so my question is where I can get insulin and how much should I pay for the GP or the NHS?

Cheers!
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're here on a legitimate visa, you're a full-time student and your course is more than 6 months long, then you have access to a GP and the NHS and it's free.

Just register with your uni's recommended GP and this will result in your getting an NHS card which shows your entitlement to use the NHS during the period of your study. The GP will take your medical history and they will be able to prescribe the medication that you need.

Diabetes medication is usually not subject to the £8.05 prescription charge - ask the GP for a medical exemption certificate, which you will have to show to the pharmacist when requesting the medication.
Anonymous #1
could an international student make a benefit from NHS gastric band program? or it treatments that is come for free?
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
could an international student make a benefit from NHS gastric band program? or it treatments that is come for free?
You'd need to speak to your GP once you've registered. It can be difficult even for British people to access as you must have a critical clinical need for it. Even then, you need to gave tried other options over time and had them fail.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Klix88)
You'd need to speak to your GP once you've registered. It can be difficult even for British people to access as you must have a critical clinical need for it. Even then, you need to gave tried other options over time and had them fail.
they do a gastric surgery too! I am not familiar with the NHS services, but that's sound really good.

thanks btw

cheers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (191)
39.63%
No - but I will (29)
6.02%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (229)
47.51%

Watched Threads