The Student Room Group
Reply 1
mik1a
Charged couple devices with high QEs , high linearity, but what actually are they? how do they work?

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/satellites/english/function/reconnai/charge.html
Reply 2
Thanks, that explains it a bit.
Reply 3
mik1a
Thanks, that explains it a bit.

Basically, when light hits the pixels, the silicon divisions electrons are released and a current is produced...
Reply 4
Do you know the size of a pixel?
Reply 5
mik1a
Do you know the size of a pixel?

Based upon my book an array of 2048 by 2048 is 3cm by 3cm...
Reply 6
So roughly 10 micrometres? photographic emulsions I got to be 1 micrometer on average, is this right?
edit - sry for all these questions, but there's a gaping whole in my astrophysics notes...
Reply 7
mik1a
So roughly 10 micrometres? photographic emulsions I got to be 1 micrometer on average, is this right?
edit - sry for all these questions, but there's a gaping whole in my astrophysics notes...

Same here with my darn teacher....this is my research work...think you're right if i can remember correctly photographic emulsions are smaller by a factor of 10....Check it out with Elpaw!!!
Reply 8
Another question,

how do you measure the parralax angle of a star so that you can work out its distance? What angles do you measure? Surely not the star to the sun, the sun would be too bright and too large. So what angle do you measure the nearby star's position against?
Reply 9
b0bsprrsa0r
Reply 10
You measure the angle from where you are on earth to the star, then 6 months later, you measure the same thing. The difference is the parallax angle.
Reply 11
What do you mean "from where you are on the Earth"? You mean the angle you need to look up from horizontal to the star?
Reply 12
Someone help me...
Reply 13
mik1a
Someone help me...

Hmmm, sorry, it appears i was talking crap.
My astrophysics notes are a bit thin too.

Anyways i just looked it up here. Go down to the pictures half way down.
Reply 14
Thanks, that's quite helpful, but I still don't understand what angle you measure the star's position against. Do you just find the star in the summer and the winter and measure the angle between them? (see attached image)

Maybe I'll ask my teacher, I understand it's hard to describe in words.

Latest

Trending

Trending